kyle.sari

Do we have to share a common address?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Why can't she just live with you at your parents house? :huh:

I guess the main reason was it would be awkward and we wouldn't have as much privacy. But I guess if that's my only option at this point then I have to do it.

I am just barely above the "poverty" minimum so I can't afford even a studio apartment here. I live in Southern California so you can imagine that it is not cheap here.

My only option was to get her a room but most people dont rent rooms 2 couples. And I didn't want to completely leave home just yet.

I guess we will just have to stick it out at my parents place. That's gonna be awkward definitely. They are really religious........

Even religious parents know what a marriage is and give privacy to a married couple. I can understand coz I am an Indian too but parents got married too and unless they don't know you are married, there shouldn't be any problem. Bottomline is - without living together how are you going to prove a bonafide marriage to the USCIS?

my husband and i are in a similar situation. we are currently living with my parents until my husband's EAD is approved and he is allowed to work because i dont make enough money on my own to get our own place.

it is annoying and yes there is not much privacy, but as long as they know that you are married they should respect your space and whatnot.

i am sure my husband would not have liked it if i told him he could not live with me, but had to live in a room in someone else's house while we wait for AOS approval. IMHO that is kind of mean and insensitive to bring someone from everything they know and put them all alone in some random room without anyone they know.

trust me, even though it is awkward, it is WORTH IT to have my husband here with me after all the time being apart during waiting for his K-1 stuff.

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Feb 23, 2011: ROC packet sent to VSC

Feb 24, 2011: Packet rec'd at VSC

Feb 25, 2011: NOA date

Mar 04, 2011: Rec'd NOA dated 2/25

Mar 18, 2011: Rec'd Biometrics Appt letter

Apr 08, 2011: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 26, 2011: Approval letter rec'd dated 8/22

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

If it isn't possible, comfortable, or feasible for your fiance to live with you after marriage when she comes to this country, then you owe it to her to delay her visa until you can live together.

I can't imagine giving up my home and country and family and friends to come live in a rented room in someone else's house WITHOUT my spouse.

Yes, this will raise red flags.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

If it isn't possible, comfortable, or feasible for your fiance to live with you after marriage when she comes to this country, then you owe it to her to delay her visa until you can live together.

I can't imagine giving up my home and country and family and friends to come live in a rented room in someone else's house WITHOUT my spouse.

Yes, this will raise red flags.

I absolutely concur with sister jundp. Not only is it very uncool to have your new wife in a cubby hole in a new country; but it will most certainly jeopardize your chances at visa approval.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
I was reading in the AOS FAQ section that during their interview they needed to show evidence of sharing a common address. Is this mandatory for permanent residency to be granted? Is the marriage not enough?

Let me explain. I am going to rent a room for my wife when she comes here on the k-1. I still live with my folks and I want to keep one foot in their house while I finish school & get a real job. And most rooms for rent dont want couples. Plus I can't afford my own aparment yet. I just barely pass the poverty minimums. So if my wife lives in an room in an apartment complex close by but I still live at home will that negatively affect our AOS? Any advice, insight? Thank you all!

-Kyle

You clearly need to show USCIS that you have a real marriage by living together, sharing the same bed, etc. etc. and have merged your checking account, car ownership, insurance, etc. etc. If you are due to finish school by June 2009, then can you both wait until then before she comes over? If the visa is granted in February, she can use it anytime after within six months (August) before it expires. The other choice is to both live with your parents until the right time comes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I lived with my wife and her parents until I got my EAD, worked and saved up some money to move out, it was awkward off course lol. I will say let your wife move in with you in your parents house its only gonna be for. a few months. I am sure you don't wanna raise a red flag on your case.... Good luck

02/02/2008:- Filed AOS

04/02/2008:- Received at Chicago Lockbox

11/02/2008:- Check Cashed

12/02/2008:- Received NOA for I-485 and I-765

19/02/2008:-Received Biometric appointment

03/03/2008:-RFE (I-485)

11/03/2008:-RFE mailed back

17/03/2008:-AOS touched, and case processing has resumed

08/05/2008:-Made Infopass appointment in Atlanta for Friday 16th

21/05/2008:-EAD Card production ordered

22/05/2008:-EAD Touched

27/05/2008:-EAD Card Production ordered again

27/05/2008:-Case transferred to CSC' I am K3 Holder,This is Strange Folks

29/05/2008:-Approval notice sent for EAD

29/05/2008:-AOS touched

30/05/2008:-EAD received

03/06/2008:-AOS touched"pending at CSC"

04/06/2008:-AOS touched

04/06/2008:-Transfer notice received

06/06/2008:-AOS touched

18/06/2008:-AOS touched

19/06/2008:-AOS touched

08/07/2008:-AOS transferred back to NBC***CSC SUCKS***

09/07/2008:-AOS touched

14/07/2008:-AOS transferred to another office...I guess my local office :-S

17/11/2008:- Interview noticed received for 13/01/2009

13/01/2009:- AOS Interview APPROVED!!!!!!

16/01/2009:- Card production ordered

19/01/2009:- AOS touched

23/01/2009:- Card production ordered again

26/01/2009:- Welcome letter received

28/01/2009:- Approval notice sent

29/01/2009:- AOS touched

30/01-2009:- I never thought I'd be typing this ---->10years green card received... USCIS, see you when I see you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Alright. She will stay with me at my parents house. Thanks for the help. We will just have to deal with living with the parents for a little while until we both start earning better salaries.

At first it may seem awkward to have yourself and your new wife staying at your parents house however I think that you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It will likely be a wonderful opportunity for your wife to become acqainted with your family and vice versa. It may also prove helpful in your new bride adjusting to her new life in the US.

I wish you all the best in your journey.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. - President Gerald Ford

AOS Timeline (from B2)

12.31.08....Package Sent to Chicago

01.13.09....NOA1 received

03.14.09....Biometrics Appt

03.25.09....EAD Card Received

04.05.09....Interview Appt Received

05.07.09....Interview

05.07.09....APPROVED!!!

06.23.09....Conditional Green Card Received!!!!

Stepdaughter Consular Filing

01.27.10....I-130 Package sent to Chicago

02.08.10....NOA1 received

OtIZm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Alright. She will stay with me at my parents house. Thanks for the help. We will just have to deal with living with the parents for a little while until we both start earning better salaries.

At first it may seem awkward to have yourself and your new wife staying at your parents house however I think that you may be pleasantly surprised by the outcome. It will likely be a wonderful opportunity for your wife to become acqainted with your family and vice versa. It may also prove helpful in your new bride adjusting to her new life in the US.

ummm....then, of course, she arrives as only his fiancee. Maybe that would be the religious issue with his parents - he'd have to marry quickly.

ummm....then, of course, she arrives as only his fiancee. Maybe that would be the religious issue with his parents - he'd have to marry quickly.

As parents, they probably should be happy that she has come directly to their home and there won't be any hanky panky happening till they get married :P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

A poster on another forum wrote that she and her husband had to attend a Stokes interview after the initial AOS interview because they had different addresses (due to work distances). I would suggest living together.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.