WhidbeyGirl

Affidavit

30 posts in this topic

Hello again I have a few questions also, or am in looking in to this to deeply? I have a affidavit from the US Embassy in Conakry. My civil marriage was done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs there in Conakry also. My marriage certificate however is in French which I tried to get in in english but they told me over and over again that its ok. They have done plenty of marriages and have never had any problem, and it just so happen that my wife Queen Mother in our wedding works there and I told her what I needed and I even signed online and showed her this site and the guidelines and she told us not to worry. Do I need to get more proof of "bonefide wedding" or will the proof that I have be enough. And 1 last question my wife birth certificate is in French also will I need to get that translated also and what about when she does her medical exam which will be a French speaking country also will we need to get those documents in english also :blink:

EVERYTHING MUST be translated, per the guidelines on the I129F and the I130. There must also be a certification from the person who translated.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Hello again I have a few questions also, or am in looking in to this to deeply? I have a affidavit from the US Embassy in Conakry. My civil marriage was done at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs there in Conakry also. My marriage certificate however is in French which I tried to get in in english but they told me over and over again that its ok. They have done plenty of marriages and have never had any problem, and it just so happen that my wife Queen Mother in our wedding works there and I told her what I needed and I even signed online and showed her this site and the guidelines and she told us not to worry. Do I need to get more proof of "bonefide wedding" or will the proof that I have be enough. And 1 last question my wife birth certificate is in French also will I need to get that translated also and what about when she does her medical exam which will be a French speaking country also will we need to get those documents in english also :blink:

First, I'd like to clarify that you need proof of a bonafide marraige not a bonafide wedding. The wedding is only the beginning of the marraige. Proving a bonafide marraige means proving your relationship is real. Think about things like letters, cards, emails, instant messages, phone records, pictures, shared leases or other contracts, shared bank accounts, shared health insurance, etc. Those types of things help you prove that your lives are linked which they infer to mean a true relationship.

Regarding documents, all documents submitted with your petition must be translated into english. Also use the guides up above to help you further.

Good Luck!

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

First, I'd like to clarify that you need proof of a bonafide marraige not a bonafide wedding. The wedding is only the beginning of the marraige. Proving a bonafide marraige means proving your relationship is real. Think about things like letters, cards, emails, instant messages, phone records, pictures, shared leases or other contracts, shared bank accounts, shared health insurance, etc. Those types of things help you prove that your lives are linked which they infer to mean a true relationship.

Regarding documents, all documents submitted with your petition must be translated into english. Also use the guides up above to help you further.

Good Luck!

THANK YOU Thank you Thank you that is the reply that I was really looking for and the key word is bonafide, I have my wife on my job benefits plan, we have visa debit cards , money transfers from here to Conakry wire tranfer for the past 2 yrs, and well over $5000.00 in phone bills not counting the phone cards and pingo account, I think that I am reading to much in to why so many people have had problem getting thier visa approved. She has alot of family here in Delaware, Philly,New York and DC that we see each other alot and spend alot of time together as a family but all of that means nothing if the 1 that matters the most in your life is not there with you, and it is pure hell to do things with our family while talking to her on the phone. She even send clothes and cloths to my mother and aunts throughout the yr and you can imagine how much the shipping costs to do something like that from Africa. Thank you everyone once again for the answers. Now I wonder if I have to much information or to much proof. :thumbs:

My wife you are simply beautiful and perfect for mehttp://da.daisypath.com/w3wlm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good Luck!

THANK YOU Thank you Thank you that is the reply that I was really looking for and the key word is bonafide, I have my wife on my job benefits plan, we have visa debit cards , money transfers from here to Conakry wire tranfer for the past 2 yrs, and well over $5000.00 in phone bills not counting the phone cards and pingo account, I think that I am reading to much in to why so many people have had problem getting thier visa approved. She has alot of family here in Delaware, Philly,New York and DC that we see each other alot and spend alot of time together as a family but all of that means nothing if the 1 that matters the most in your life is not there with you, and it is pure hell to do things with our family while talking to her on the phone. She even send clothes and cloths to my mother and aunts throughout the yr and you can imagine how much the shipping costs to do something like that from Africa. Thank you everyone once again for the answers. Now I wonder if I have to much information or to much proof. :thumbs:

I would really not worry about "too much" I would rather give them more than what they need, rather than recieve a RFE and have the case prolonged while you send what ever it is that they requested that could have been included when you submitted the petition :thumbs:

Good Luck!

I would really not worry about "too much" I would rather give them more than what they need, rather than recieve a RFE and have the case prolonged while you send what ever it is that they requested that could have been included when you submitted the petition :thumbs:

I disagree - send only what is asked for. When the application says this OR that OR the other it doesn't mean ten of everything. Too much information is a red flag and asking for a detailed comb through, each piece of paper is a chance of an error, an inconsistancy, something to be thought of as a reason to deny. A huge packet of information is also one that gets set aside until time can be attributed to it, therefore other less "intimidating" packets will go ahead.

No, I haven't even started this process, BUT I have worked in government offices, so this is based on my personal experience working in the US Government.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Filed: Other Timeline

Good Luck!

I disagree - :thumbs::star:send only what is asked for. :star::thumbs:

When the application says this OR that OR the other it doesn't mean ten of everything. Too much information is a red flag and asking for a detailed comb through, each piece of paper is a chance of an error, an inconsistancy, something to be thought of as a reason to deny. A huge packet of information is also one that gets set aside until time can be attributed to it, therefore other less "intimidating" packets will go ahead.

No, I haven't even started this process, BUT I have worked in government offices, so this is based on my personal experience working in the US Government.

:thumbs: right on, :thumbs: right on, :thumbs: right on

go onnnnn girl :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Edited by UNO...

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I disagree - send only what is asked for. When the application says this OR that OR the other it doesn't mean ten of everything. Too much information is a red flag and asking for a detailed comb through, each piece of paper is a chance of an error, an inconsistancy, something to be thought of as a reason to deny. A huge packet of information is also one that gets set aside until time can be attributed to it, therefore other less "intimidating" packets will go ahead.

Yes...for the initial application, keeping it limited to what is requested is preferred.

But when it comes time for the interview...the more the better! You can never have "TOO MUCH" proof of relationship/bonafide marriage. Plus you don't know what the CO will be focusing on. They are all different in what they look for or choose to take a closer look at. Especially if a red flag has been raised for some reason ( significant age difference, name alert, document discrepency etc.) then there is no telling what they will want to see, or how much of it.

Tiggi---your profile says you are filing K1...but you talk of bonafide marriage etc. Did I miss something? :unsure:

Timeline

Yes...for the initial application, keeping it limited to what is requested is preferred.

But when it comes time for the interview...the more the better! You can never have "TOO MUCH" proof of relationship/bonafide marriage. Plus you don't know what the CO will be focusing on. They are all different in what they look for or choose to take a closer look at. Especially if a red flag has been raised for some reason ( significant age difference, name alert, document discrepency etc.) then there is no telling what they will want to see, or how much of it.

Tiggi---your profile says you are filing K1...but you talk of bonafide marriage etc. Did I miss something? :unsure:Sorry Ebony queen you missed alot I filed for the k-1 visa back in april of 08 but I withdrew the visa went to Guinea spent 1 month there and I married my wife there it was more important to her family,and myself to do a traditional wedding there and we also did a civil wedding also than do the k-1 visa. Now I am just trying to make sure that I have all of the proper documents before I submit the paperwork.

My wife you are simply beautiful and perfect for mehttp://da.daisypath.com/w3wlm4.png

Timeline

Tiggi---your profile says you are filing K1...but you talk of bonafide marriage etc. Did I miss something? :unsure:Sorry Ebony queen you missed alot I filed for the k-1 visa back in april of 08 but I withdrew the visa went to Guinea spent 1 month there and I married my wife there it was more important to her family,and myself to do a traditional wedding there and we also did a civil wedding also than do the k-1 visa. Now I am just trying to make sure that I have all of the proper documents before I submit the paperwork.

This is more intimidatig that filing your tax returns :blush:

Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Liechtenstein
Timeline

What type of affidavit is this by the way and when Im i suppose to get one like this and for what petition.

I dont see this as part of the K1 Petition guide..pls help

LadyBird

What type of affidavit is this by the way and when Im i suppose to get one like this and for what petition.

I dont see this as part of the K1 Petition guide..pls help

This is for the K-3 or the CR1, thymbo.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

TOTAL 80 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

TOTAL 29 DAYS

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

Timeline

Good Luck!

When the application says this OR that OR the other it doesn't mean ten of everything. Too much information is a red flag and asking for a detailed comb through, each piece of paper is a chance of an error, an inconsistancy, something to be thought of as a reason to deny. A huge packet of information is also one that gets set aside until time can be attributed to it, therefore other less "intimidating" packets will go ahead.

For those of you who have serious questions and would like answers from people who have been through the process and know how it works I suggest you use the other forums on VJ for such specific petitions. (K1 or K3)

I would hate to see someone led astray due to misinformation or lack of information.

Timeline

Good Luck!

For those of you who have serious questions and would like answers from people who have been through the process and know how it works I suggest you use the other forums on VJ for such specific petitions. (K1 or K3)

I would hate to see someone led astray due to misinformation or lack of information.

Documentary Proof of Having Met in Person in the Past Two Years and an Ongoing Relationship:

Use as many of these items are possible. There is no minimum,

but the more you can provide the less likely you are that you will receive an RFE. 1. Copies of all airline boarding passes, train passes, itineraries, hotel receipts, passport stamps (make sure you can read the dates on the stamps), and other documentary evidence that you have met within the last two years. You may want to highlight or place post-it notes indicating the dates and locations on the copies (to make the adjudication easier) for the person reviewing your file.

2. Color Photo's of you and your fiance(e) together. Make sure you write your names, date, and location on the back of every photo. Provide two to five photo's. If you only have a single copy of the photo, then make a color copy and send that. If it is a digital photo, have it printed at a company such as kodakgallery.com. You can also make duplicates of photo's at your local photo store (Walgreeens, CVS, etc). Place photo's in a plastic bag or photo sheet and label the sheet. Note that you may not receive originals of photo's back.

3. The following items will not typically show proof of having met in the last two years however will show proof of an ongoing relationship: Copies of phone bills, cell phone bills, emails (you can edit personal info with a marker), letters (edit personal info also), stamps on the letters (to document the date they were sent), and other written documentary proof. Provide a reasonable amount; two to four of each type. Pick a range of dates up to and including the present. You can also include a copy of engagement ring receipt (this is something that is a big optional - do not worry if you do not have a ring yet!)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

The above information is taken out of the K1 guide I have provide the link for your convenience

Below is for the K3 the link to that guide is at the bottom.

Note: Evidence of a Bonifide Marriage

The USCIS now requires that when filing an I-130 for a spouse that you include evidence of a bonifide marriage. They list examples of acceptable evidence as:

1. Documentation showing joint ownership or property; or

2. A lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or

3. Documentation showing co-mingling of financialresources; or

4. Birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, thepetitioner, and your spouse together; or

5. Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage); or

6. Any other relevant documentation to establish that thereis an ongoing marital union.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good Luck!

I would caution anyone reading on this site to realize that many people here have varying opinions. The best advice I can share is to do your research and consider the source of the information you are receiving. There are hundereds of people on this site who HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED this process very recently. That information is significantly MORE VALUABLE than conjecture no matter the basis. This is a very difficult and expensive process that is complicated by heart matters. Be very careful and make sure that you feel confident that you've made the decision that is right for you and your process.

Good Luck!

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

This really depends on the consulate you are going through. What is written on the instructions is the bare minimum of what is needed to get the petition approved.

Unless there are discrepancies in the information you are submitting, I would say that it cannot hurt. I have yet to see someone be denied because of submitting more evidence than is needed. IMHO, it cannot hurt to send a few e-mails, phone records, etc. The one thing that I would not send are money transfer receipts. I would keep the bulk of the proof for the interview.

All the info that is submitted with the petition is forwarded to the consulate and sometimes, based on this evidence, the CO will make his/her decision. I have seen many many many people being advised on these boards to front load the petition with proof because it is so important in some consulates.

I think that what you need to do is determine what the norm is at the consulate you are going through. For example, in Ghana, it seems like they want all the proof at the interview (and then some <_< ) at other consulates they may look at what is provided with the petition to make the decision.

For all the people here who have yet to submit a petition...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read the guides. I know that it is easier to post and get people to answer your questions, but the guides are pretty comprehensive and will answer pretty much all your questions. Also, do your own research about the process and do not take anyone's word for law. You have too much at stake here to throw it all away on the misinformation of some members.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.