AUBGER

Flying with maiden/married names

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I am stressing out in regards to traveling to my home-country of Moldova. Buying a ticket and flying to Romania (taking a train to Moldova afterwards) would save my husband, I and my in-laws more than 1/2 of the price. I have my green card in my married name, my passport in my maiden name and I need a visa for Romania when I fly in.

I am scared they are going to give me a hard time at the airport in terms of allowing me to go into the country just because I have two names.

Are my fears reasonable?

Thank you,

Elena

Removal of conditions...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Hi guys,

I am stressing out in regards to traveling to my home-country of Moldova. Buying a ticket and flying to Romania (taking a train to Moldova afterwards) would save my husband, I and my in-laws more than 1/2 of the price. I have my green card in my married name, my passport in my maiden name and I need a visa for Romania when I fly in.

I am scared they are going to give me a hard time at the airport in terms of allowing me to go into the country just because I have two names.

Are my fears reasonable?

Thank you,

Elena

I'm an airline employee. What kind of ID do you have? If you are traveling international you WILL need a passport. You can either A) Use the name as it appears on your passport or B) Use your current name with government documented letter of "Change" or marriage certificate.

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Hi guys,

Are my fears reasonable?

Thank you,

Elena

I'm an airline employee. What kind of ID do you have? If you are traveling international you WILL need a passport. You can either A) Use the name as it appears on your passport or B) Use your current name with government documented letter of "Change" or marriage certificate.

Hi there,

First of all, thank you very much for replying so promptly! I appreciate it greatly. Although I am not flying home fore another year, I would like to reserve tickets now since they are much more reasonable.

If reserving flights directly to Chisinau, Moldova, I would pay $1,200.

If I would fly to Bucharest, Romania, I would pay $600. We're talking about 4 hours by train from Bucharest to my home town in Moldova. It would save a LOT of money to 4 people that are flying to visit my parents next year.

I have:

1) A National Passport (Moldovan) with my Maiden Name

2) A Green Card in my Married name

3) I have a Marriage Certificate (US) with my Maiden Name showing whom I married

4) Driver's License with my Married Name

5) Social Security Card with my maiden name (have not had a chance to change that yet)

6) I can have my USSR birth Certificate Translated and Legalized in Moldova

7) I have a Moldovan Identification Card with my Maiden name

My greatest concern is not related to boarding the plane in the US. My greatest concern is getting out of the Airport in Romania w/o problems. I just don't know if they are going to believe my name change or not. Because in Bucharest, I will be the only guide available for my in-laws and my husband in regards to getting to Moldova. I'm scared they are going to send me back or something just because they are not going to understand my ID's and the English Marriage Certificate.

Thank you soo very much again!

Elena

Removal of conditions...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Many have no problems with this, just book airline tickets and get visa issued using the name that is in your passport. The green-card is used to show that you can enter the USA, and is used at US POE for re-entry.

Not OT, moving to regional forum.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Y&D is correct. Just book your reservation under your maiden name instead of your married name and you will not have any problems. Bring your Marriage certificate along with your Green Card for when you return!

Edited by Waldo

USCIS

12/03/2008...Sent I-130 form

12/04/2008...Papers reached Chicago LockBox (1Day)

12/11/2008...NOA1 (7days)

12/22/2008...NOA1 hard copy received (11 days ~ Heavy Snowfall Delayed Mail)

03/14/2009...NOA2 (92 days from NOA1)

03/24/2009...NOA2 Hard copy received (No touches or web approval)

NVC

04/06/2009...Received by NVC (23 days from NOA2)

DreAlphaBettas@aol.com

Thank you so very much for your help. I can breathe easier now. I looked at what would be required to submit to change my name in my national passport and...well...they made it close to impossible!

So this is a greaaaat relief!!!!

Thank you! I love Visajourney!!! This site is unbelievable!

Removal of conditions...

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Thank you so very much for your help. I can breathe easier now. I looked at what would be required to submit to change my name in my national passport and...well...they made it close to impossible!

I have a question regarding this matter :)

I also have my passport in my maiden name (not possible to change in my Country..) and my Green Card will be in my married name. Now, the Green Card is also asked at the departure airport overseas, not just at the POE in the US, because if you're traveling without a return ticket you need to have either a Green Card or a visa that allows you to stay longer than 3 months. Now, I'm worried that when I will try to come back from Italy and I will show my Green Card with a different name other than passport and ticket, it will be a problem.

Can anyone reassure me on this matter?

Thank you!!

05/12/04 => Arrived in the US under L1 status / work visa

03/05/05 => Met the love of my life

07/02/07 => Married my wonderful USC husband

______AOS JOURNEY________________________________

10/03/08 => Package sent to USCIS

03/03/09 => Interview in Chicago, IL =>> APPROVED!

______REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY______________

12/03/10 => Package sent to California service center

03/02/11 => 10 YR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!

______CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY_________________________

01/20/12 => Filed N-400 for Citizenship

06/21/12 => Citizenship interview: Approved!

07/25/12 => Oath Ceremony.. DONE WITH USCIS!!

I have a question regarding this matter :)

I also have my passport in my maiden name (not possible to change in my Country..) and my Green Card will be in my married name. Now, the Green Card is also asked at the departure airport overseas, not just at the POE in the US, because if you're traveling without a return ticket you need to have either a Green Card or a visa that allows you to stay longer than 3 months. Now, I'm worried that when I will try to come back from Italy and I will show my Green Card with a different name other than passport and ticket, it will be a problem.

Can anyone reassure me on this matter?

Thank you!!

That is actually a very good question. I am not sure how this whole thing will work. I think what I will personally do is take my marriage certificate and while in my home country I will translate and legalize it. I think the customs will put 2+2 together after that.

Removal of conditions...

• 3 weeks later...

What we did was get our Marriage License translated and certified into my wife's home language. Then we went to the Secretary of State and had them add an Apostille. Then we sent the Marriage License, International Passport, and a Check to the Russian Embassy in Houston. They added a statement to one of the pages in her passport (which has her maiden name). The statement said my wife was also known by her married name.

When she travels, she takes the original Marriage License with Apostille, and the translated copy with her. No one has ever asked for it, but I don't want her to remain in Russia after she returns for a visit. I want my wife back.. :yes:

I hope this helps.

Russian Fiancee - Moscow Embassy

1/27/06 Mailed I-129F to TSC and forwarded to CSC for K-1 & K-2 Visa

2/1/06 CSC received I-129F

2/7/06 Received NOA1 TSC

4/14/06 I-129F Approved

4/25/06 Received NOA2 TSC

5/12/06 Received at NVC

5/18/06 Mailed to US Embassy, Moscow

8/9/06 Physical Exams for K-1 & K-2

8/11/06 Interview Scheduled

8/11/06 VISA APPROVED

8/17/06 Visa Received

9/12/06 Flight from SVO

12/09/06 MARRIED

2/16/07 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP

3/15/07 Biometrics scheduled (Had to Re-schedule)

3/22/07 Biometrics completed for K-1 & K-2

4/11/07 Received phone call from USCIS, Interview Scheduled, FBI check completed

4/16/07 AOS Interview, passed pending I-693A

4/16/07 Civil Surgeon completed I-693A, I-693A submitted to USCIS office

4/18/07 Notice mailed welcoming New Permanent Resident

4/19/07 Card production ordered for K-1 & K-2

4/25/07 2 Year Green Card Received dated 4/17/07

1/21/09 Mailed I-751 to VSC for K-1 & K-2

1/24/09 VSC Received I-751

1/31/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Wife

2/20/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Wife, Appt 3/2/09 Completed

2/20/09 I-797C, Notice of Action Received for Step-daughter

2/24/09 Biometrics Letter Received for Step-daughter Appt 3/10/09 Completed

3/2/09 Mailed Wife's Passport to Houston for Renewal - Received 6/5/09

9/15/09 Interview at New Orleans Field Office

1/19/10 Eligible to file N-400 for Citizenship

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

the gc is not only needed for reentry in the us, the airline will also ask for your gc when checking in at the us airport when they cant find an I-94 in your passport (which needs to be removed), at least for countries that support the vwp (meaning countries that are part of the schenggen party, most european ones)!

just take youre marriage license with you and if you are concerned about officers in romania not being able to read/understand english get a certified translation.....

blackribbonsmall.png

R.I.P Diana

1982 - 2008

K1 Timeline

01/13/2007 Sent I-129F to TSC

05/03/2007 Petition approved!!!

08/23/2007 INTERVIEW

09/12/2007 Frankfurt - JFK - Baltimore, MD

09//28/2007 applied for SSN

10/16/2007 CIVIL MARRIAGE

10/31/2007 SS Card finally arrived

AOS Timeline

11/13/2007 sent AOS package with AP and EAD

12/19/2007 biometrics in baltimore

01/09/2008 AOS transferred to CSC

01/12/2008 CEREMONY & RECEPTION

01/16/2008 EAD and AP in mail

02/14/2008 card production ordered, approved without interview

02/22/2008 GREEN CARD in mail

I751 Timeline

11/19/2009 sent I751 to VSC

11/21/2009 received at VSC

11/24/2009 check cashed

11/30/2009 received NOA dated 11/23/09

12/15/2009 early bio walk-in failed....

12/16/2009 request to reschedule sent

01/04/2010 biometrics in baltimore being rescheduled

01/20/2010 new biometrics

03/24/2010 card production ordered, approved without interview

03/29/2010 10 year GC in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.