HannahP

Cheap exotic vacations?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
My husband's family is giving us $4000 to go on a belated honeymoon, anywhere we want to go.

We want to do something exotic. Neither of us wants to go to Mexico (the obvious choice); we'd prefer to go somewhere where we could rent a small apartment for a week.

It has to be warm, preferably with beaches. Night life isn't an issue because we're not party-happy, but we'd like a good mix of beachy-ness plus culture like ruins/museums/wildlife/etc.

I'm thinking about Peru, but he seems dead set against it for some reason. At first he wanted to go to Morocco but just flying out there would eat up all of our money! Blech.

Any suggestions?

thailand. it costs alot to get there but its otherwise cheap. so if you can find good airline tix and its appealing to you...

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

i think where you live factors into this. west coast, east coast, area in between... so we can understand what you have to work with for airline tix.

you could do an all inclusive at any of the caribbean islands. i dont really like all inclusive, or beaches, but grace bay beach in providenciales in turks and caicos is unreal and beaches is the all inclusive there. i would think you could do all that for under 4K but again it would depend on where you are flying from.

edited to say i think its actually sandals not beaches, same diff

Edited by chaishai

Hello HannaP...

what would you really consider exotic?

It seems you're looking for something more in the laid-back range. Check out the Lesser Antilles. On 4K you can do the resort thing but for that you may as well go to the Florida Keys.

I think when I say exotic, I mean: not in the US and you're right, natch, not a resort. Which is why I kind of worry about the Bahamas because my friends/family who've gone basically all did the resort-package thing. Another friend suggested the Lesser Antilles as well; there's beaches, but also a lot of cultural stuff to do which is important to me. My hubby's family took us on a cruise and we just couldn't lay out in the sun/swim/drink margaritas for days on end like all the other guests.

Costa Rica also came to mind, as did Buenos Aires and Brazil (which probably fits best with our desire to rent a little apartment and experience life there.)

What sucks is that we're probably more of the European-vacation types but like Confucian said, our budget is limited to a certain area. Also, we're in Kansas so there aren't too many geographical perks. Mexico is closest/cheapest but I'm being picky. :P

Anyway, thank you guys so much for helping me out! I've been checking out airfares and compiling a list so we'll see what happens. I'll definitely let ya'all know when we decide. :wub:

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Dumaguete in the Philippines has a lot to offer :thumbs:

4k limit, airfare for 2 would take most of that.

But Dumaguete is so much fun and they probably would have a grand left. Heck, we spend a week at the Santa Monica Beach Resort and it only cost us a couple hundred including food. Of course that was four years ago :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I just read your pose..if you like to used ur money that your family just give you both i think u can go to the philippines if you like. 2k roundtrip ticket for both of you is good and philippine peso 48 peso depending how much is the exchange rate per day 48-$1 so it is good if you will have 1k or almost 2 thousand left its just fine..

As other filipino reviewer u can go to places that have a nice beach that is less expensive. dumaguete, siquijor, cebu have lots of beaches to offer! Boracay and palawan is more popular but for your personality i think u prefer more to the places i said to you.

Just let me know guys if you want some help i can help you.

No worries i am a good filipina working in DFA and attouch to DOT in Cebu City and i graduated tourism so i know more..i just want to help people here with regards to their travel since i am good in looking prices and searching good deals. I just miss working my field and i dont like my mind and expertise will be totally washed away. I am just a houewife now taking care of my little baby and not allowed to work and just missing it.

Just feel free to ask more questions about Philippines and i can help you assists with your trip:-)

Have a good day

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

u can go almost anywhere. depends very much of yr standards and yr skills in research. if u go for most advertised accomodation and restaurants in an area, might be tough. but if u r good at doing yr homeworks before going some place, u can find very good deals anywhere. and that's also part of experiencing the place too. if u hang more where tourists do, is going to be expensive and u'll only see the made up for tourists part of the place. usualy before we travel we do our homeworks well, and try not follow touristic agencies advices. we used virtualtourist site,and that was always helpful too. we rent somth before (usualy an apartment as u said, we r not too much into hotels and organized stuff), but always start with the idea that things might not be as they seem, but if it turns to an adventure that can be fun too. now as i said, depends very much of yr standards and what u want to do there.

enjoy life,

Andreea

met Lee: sept 2005

married here: 23 feb 2008

I 130 sent :16 march 2008

I 130 NOA1: 20 march 2008

I 129F sent: 11 april 2008

I 129F NOA1: 11 april 2008

I 130 and I 129F NOA2: 12 dec 2008

NVC process:

NVC received and assigned case number for both: 18 dec 2008

(break in the process- Lee comes to spend holidays here 22 dec-5th jan 2009)

DS 3032 generated :? ?

DS 3032 sent : 26 dec 2008 (friend sends it, based on how fast Ds-3032 was generated for Sracastillo and others who had same NOA2 date as me-risky, but worked)

received AOS package and IIN number in mail : 29 dec 2008 (same friend picks up mail and sends us the IIN)

pay the AOS bill online: 29 dec 2008

AOS shows as PAID: 30 dec 2008

my husband goes back and bags with our papers get lost : 5th jan 2009

package IV fee bill generated and paid online: 7th jan 2009

recieved bags and papers: 9th jan 2009

sent AOS package: 9th jan 2009

package IV bill shows PAID and sending package IV : 12 jan 2009

case complete: jan 20th

interview march 30th 2009

I129F

NVC mails I129F package to bucharest embasy

up to this day, no package received at embasy here -one more reason to prove in my case I129F was just useless

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think when I say exotic, I mean: not in the US and you're right, natch, not a resort. Which is why I kind of worry about the Bahamas because my friends/family who've gone basically all did the resort-package thing. Another friend suggested the Lesser Antilles as well; there's beaches, but also a lot of cultural stuff to do which is important to me. My hubby's family took us on a cruise and we just couldn't lay out in the sun/swim/drink margaritas for days on end like all the other guests.

I'm not a beach or resort guy but I'd go for Mexico. Cheaper, has a lot of history back to the Pre-Columbian, varied terrain, good food, nice people, not xenophobic towards tourists.

Costa Rica also came to mind, as did Buenos Aires and Brazil (which probably fits best with our desire to rent a little apartment and experience life there.)

I haven't been to those places but Argentina and Chile are on my list.

Wherever I go, I usually skip the big touristy places or mega cities to see how most people live without the crowds and hassles. The locals aren't as jaded and you can see a lot of oddball stuff that most tourists don't see.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

Borracay Philippines,

Phuket Thailand

Costa Rica

All exotic all cheap & beautiful.

gewelcome-vi.gif

3dflagsdotcom_japan_2faws-vi.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE:Like you all, I am not an attorney ; I am a layperson (I have laid a lot of persons ) My advice is based on Experience obtained by filing ourselves

AOS met in Japan 1994 married 10/2004

DO:Los Angeles,Ca.

6/17/06 Forms Sent (I-130, I-485, and I-765)

6/19/06 RD I-130,I-485, I-765

6/26/06 NOA rcvd

7/15/06 Biometrics complete Day 22

8/4/06 Interview Notice Rcvd Day 42

9/9/06 EAD Card Received :)Day 78

9/13/06 SS Card Received :)Day 82

9/27/06 AOS Interview Los Angeles APPROVED LPR Day 96

12/04/06 Welcome To the United States Letter received

12/08/06 Green Card Received- expires 12/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I know you may think it's biased and a weird recommendation by I highly recommend a trip to Colombia. It's safe, inexpensive and with your budget you can travel to many different cities and get to see a whole lot of different places you'd never thought you'd see.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics