MoroccanInTexas

Red light Tickets

20 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a question. My wife got two red light citations, while driving her car that's registered on my name. The total for the tickets is $150, and I paid it on time (since they sent me photos, and a web link that showed my dear wife running the light)

Should I disclose this info while filling out the N-400 naturalization form? I've been told as long as the total of tickets is less than $500, to not bring it up.

Any advice ?

Thanks and Happy New Year

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

as far as i know, other than criminal and felony problems , or any other court appearance, there is no need to put that in your application, read the guide to naturalization, they exclude the trafic test...hope that helps..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

If she was caught by those infernal red-light cameras, my understanding is that the violations (in Texas) are civil, not criminal. Double-check this with any traffic attorney's office.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...14&t=169573

Answer each question by checking ''Yes'' or ''No.'' If any part of a question applies to you, you must answer ''Yes.'' For example, if you were never arrested but were once detained by a police officer, check ''Yes'' to the question ''Have you ever been arrested or detained by a law enforcement officer?'' and attach a written explanation.

Part 10. Additional Questions.

We will use this information to determine your eligibility for citizenship. Answer every question honestly and accurately. If you do not, we may deny your application for lack of good moral character. Answering "Yes" to one of these questions does not always cause an application to be denied. For more information on eligibility, please see the Guide.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400.pdf

For the purposes of this application, you must answer ''Yes'' to the following questions, if applicable, even if your records were

sealed or otherwise cleared or if anyone, including a judge, law enforcement officer or attorney, told you that you no longer have a

record.

Part 10. Additional questions. (Continued.)

D. Good Moral Character.

15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested? Yes No

16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer

(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason? Yes No

17. Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense? Yes No

18. Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense? Yes No

19. Have you ever been placed in an alternative sentencing or a rehabilitative program

(for example: diversion, deferred prosecution, withheld adjudication, deferred adjudication)? Yes No

20. Have you ever received a suspended sentence, been placed on probation or been paroled? Yes No

21. Have you ever been in jail or prison?

You received citations, right? I would rather enter them in my application and give an explanation, than obmit them and have USCIS doubt my character. I even included when I got pulled over for speeding and was let go with a warning. But I'm not an expert and I can be overly correct at times. :blush:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think they are of no consequence whatsoever. But, if in doubt, write them down.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had 1 speeding ticket and 1 failure to come to a complete stop, i didn't write them down, and I have completed the process!, juts my 2 cents!!,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I don't think simple traffic citations can be considered for 'moral turpitude' issues!

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Thanks you all, let me explain more. I live in Dallas Texas, and we have a couple of cameras on major intersections. as I said my wife was driving my car, and she run the light. Later on I received a Notice of Violation, under the Photo enforcement program. I was not arrested or detained. the two tickets are $75 each.

I just want to make sure, I hate to be in deep water because of my wife's "innocent mistake"

Thanks

Happy new year

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Timeline

I was thinking about this again last night. It was your wife and not you who was running the red lights and you have the pictures to prove it. So you can honestly say, you never got cited (if those were the only violations).

Timeline
I was thinking about this again last night. It was your wife and not you who was running the red lights and you have the pictures to prove it. So you can honestly say, you never got cited (if those were the only violations).

If its his wife that is applying for naturalization, that it would pertain to her, the questions are based on the person applying for naturalization!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

If its his wife that is applying for naturalization, that it would pertain to her, the questions are based on the person applying for naturalization!

My mistake. I thought the poster was applying for citizenship. Well, if the wife is applying for citizenship, then I stand by original answer. :blush:

I am the one who will be applying for citizenship. My wife is a US citizen by birth, who run the light driving a car registered on my name. It is kinda of hard to prove it was not me from the photo. However, I am sure she will be willing to testify that she is the one who got the tickets if this is required.

I did some research, and it says that this automatic tickets, are considered Civil in Texas

Timeline

You gotta do what is going to make u sleep at night!! You have to explain the situation if you select "yes" so go ahead and do that, totally up to you, and your probably more correct in going that route.

Timeline
You gotta do what is going to make u sleep at night!! You have to explain the situation if you select "yes" so go ahead and do that, totally up to you, and your probably more correct in going that route.

I think that's the best advice.

I think, the good thing is, that you always have the opportunity to explain the facts, in case any questions about your answer arise. No matter how you answer, I doubt that it would make you ineligible for citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.