Nothing1234

ADC Condemns Gaza Attacks

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Washington, DC |

December 29, 2008

www.adc.org

The American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) today strongly condemned the continuing Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip. Reports indicate that the Israeli air strikes over the past two days have killed 330 people in Gaza and have left over 1450 more injured, almost 300 of which are in critical condition. The UN estimates that %5 of those killed are children under the age of 18. These strikes come after several weeks of a tight blockade which left many of Gaza's 1.5-million inhabitants without sufficient food, water, fuel or medicine. The population of Gaza is 2/3 refugee and more than half are under the age of 16. The UN has listed Gaza as the most densely populated area in the world with a population density that is higher than that of Manhattan in New York City.

Numerous studies have indicated that similar attacks in the past have failed to make Israeli citizens any safer and resulted in increased support of Hamas extremists. During the cease-fire brokered by Egypt this past summer, rocket attacks by Hamas extremists had greatly diminished. The blockade of Gaza was relaxed slightly by Israel however it never ended completely. Israel escalated the situation in early November by killing 4 Palestinians in Gaza in the bloodiest violation of the cease-fire during the Egyptian-brokered agreement. The month that followed brought a return of a suffocating siege on the civilians of Gaza and rocket attacks against southern Israel. Prior to the current Israeli attacks, over 850 Palestinians had been killed by Israel since the Annapolis summit in late 2007. These numbers are compared to less than 20 Israelis killed by rocket fire from Gaza since 2000. The disproportionate nature of this latest round of violence is representative of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict in general and continues to fan the flames of discontent in the Arab and Muslim worlds.

Today, ADC sent letters to President Bush, President-Elect Obama, Secretary of State Rice, and the Ambassador of Israel in Washington calling for an immediate end of hostilities on all sides. Further, the letters criticized the American response to the attacks which placed all blame on Hamas with no mention of Israel's disproportionate and continuing bombardment of Gaza. While Hamas is guilty of rocket fire, which indiscriminately targets civilians in Israel, this falls within the context of a prolonged siege in which Israel too is indiscriminately targeting 1.5 million civilians in Gaza. The official response from the White House and State Department was irresponsible and ignored American national and economic interests in addition to international humanitarian law and the laws of war.

ADC Calls on:

1) All parties directly involved to immediately work to end hostilities on all sides and arrive at a new cease-fire agreement;

2) The United States to exert immediate pressure on its ally Israel to halt attacks on Gaza's population;

3) The Arab world to work to alleviate the suffering and hunger in the Gaza Strip;

4) The American media to fairly portray the situation in Gaza and to recall the disproportion, context of occupation, and siege when mentioning the indiscriminate rocket attacks by Hamas on southern Israel

Throughout the history of Arab-Israeli peace negotiations only cease-fires and agreements have brought peace and security for both Arabs and Israelis.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

not surprising.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
not surprising.

Yup.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I wish the Egyptian government would grow a few balls and finally stand up to Israel but the almighty dollar is of course more important than the lives of innocent civilians.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline
Egypt doesn't want the Palestinians either.............

but they are muslim!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

but they are muslim!

All Palestinians are muslim? I should run and tell our tax attorney, a Christian Palestinian. Egypt the government does not want the Palestinians but the people would gladly welcome them and help them in any way they could if they had the chance. The government of Egypt by no means represents the people.

Timeline

but they are muslim!

All Palestinians are muslim? I should run and tell our tax attorney, a Christian Palestinian. Egypt the government does not want the Palestinians but the people would gladly welcome them and help them in any way they could if they had the chance. The government of Egypt by no means represents the people.

:secret: did you miss the sarcasm alert?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

but they are muslim!

:secret: did you miss the sarcasm alert?

It didn't make it past my filter. I presently have 5 tweens singing kareoke in my living room. :wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

FYI a friend of mine that works in the airport in Beruit says the Isreali fighters are flying very low more frequently these days. The kids still remember what happened in 06 there. Just last night the kids woke up cause the fighters were flying low @ 2 in their morning just green with fear they couldn't sleep. Who are the terrorist here???? They don't know Hamas they were just sleeping kids already worried of the next attack Isreal will do. She called me to see if she can send her kids to me. I don't know how to make it happen but I will take them with loving arms. Kids are always the victoms of governmental abuse of power.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The Palestinians (Hamas)have fired 6,000 rockets at Israel in the last 3 years. Israel has a right to defend itself. Although innocent civilians are killed by Israeli bombs, they are not the intended target. You cant say that for Hamas, they fire their rockets at civilians. Hamas is responsible for the deaths of innocent Palestinians IMO. There will never be peace in Palestine since the people there support the actions of Hamas.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
The Palestinians (Hamas)have fired 6,000 rockets at Israel in the last 3 years. Israel has a right to defend itself. Although innocent civilians are killed by Israeli bombs, they are not the intended target. You cant say that for Hamas, they fire their rockets at civilians. Hamas is responsible for the deaths of innocent Palestinians IMO. There will never be peace in Palestine since the people there support the actions of Hamas.

in the "6,000 rockets" fired how many were killed? there is defending it's self then there is genocide don't you think?

Timeline

in the "6,000 rockets" fired how many were killed? there is defending it's self then there is genocide don't you think?

I don't think tsup2 thinks.

hmmm 6000 rockets but less than 20 israelis killed ... wow it looks like they were sure out to do harm huh... compared to the 330 confirmed dead in the mass hysteria israel is currently causing in Gaza right now and over 1500 injured with over 300 in critical condition ......IN 1 WEEK.... I think it stands to show that one is after blood while the other just wants its ppl to have food and basic necesseties....but thats just mho..who am i....

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Oh yeah and what about the cease fire in which Israel continued keeping the borders held tight, not letting the ppl have enough food, water, electricity, medicines....... ohh I guess they're supposed to sit there and starve in the dark with no water or medications and not be mad or retaliate at all....... I wouldn't....

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.