sherry0201

Do your parents feel happy about your marriage?

54 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I am not sure how everyone's parents feel about international marriage.

I married USC and he has been a wonderful person. BUT, he is from a family which is very different from

my family. I grew up in Japan and my parents are very hardworking and supported me to get education in the US.

They paid for my education in the US( undergraduate)

and also they always save money and organize things for the future.

I lived with my grand parents and great grand mother. We all lived together and shared.

My dad worked so hard to get his career and my mother works held her own career as an independent woman until recently. My family said education is the most important thing that they can give to their children.

Now, my family grew up with a single mother. She has been divorced twice and has been dating several men.

She could not even pay for his education, but she spends a lot of money on her brand bags and fancy cloths.

His father cannot help financially either.

My parents are very disappointed by my decision to marry my husband. He graduated from really good college. But,

a family as a whole, his family is very different from my family. And my parents are not even planning to come to the US and meet my husband's parents. They did not participate on my small wedding either.

And one time, I was so stressed out by my husband's debts from his college years, My mother told me that if his parents cannot come up with the same amount of money my family comes up, she will not going to help out. It is not just fair.

I totally understand that. It sounds like my husband's parents try to take an advantage of my family.

So, of course we will never be able to get a house or anything.

I started saving my income for our future down payment. Also we are thinking about moving to a different place where things are cheaper.

How are your parents?

06/19/2008 POE at LAX with K1 visa

06/28/2008 Married my husband

07/03/2008 Update my social security card

07/19/2008 AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago lock box

07/21/2008 AOS, EAD, AP were received

07/28/2008 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/04/2008 Biometric appointment letter arrived

08/15/2008 Biometric at Santa Ana office

10/21/2008 No update since biometric- contacted a local congressman, the ombudsman

10/22/2008 Was able to do service request

10/23/2008 EAD was approved

10/24/2008 AOS interview letter arrived

11/26/2008 Renew my State ID

12/10/2008 AOS interview approved right away

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I married USC and he has been a wonderful person. BUT, he is from a family which is very different from

my family. I grew up in Japan and my parents are very hardworking and supported me to get education in the US.

I lived with my grand parents and great grand mother. We all lived together and shared.

My dad worked so hard to get his career and my mother works held her own career as an independent woman until recently. My family said education is the most important thing that they can give to their children.

Now, my family grew up with a single mother. She has been divorced twice and has been dating several men.

She could not even pay for his education, but she spends a lot of money on her brand bags and fancy cloths.

My parents are very disappointed by my decision to marry my husband. He graduated from really good college. But,

a family as a whole, his family is very different from my family. And my parents are not even planning to come to the US and meet my husband's parents. They did not participate on my small wedding either.

And one time, I was so stressed out by my husband's debts from his college years, My mother told me that if his parents cannot come up with the same amount of money my family comes up, she will not going to help out. It is not just fair.

I totally understand that. It sounds like my husband's parents try to take an advantage of my family.

I started saving my income for our future down payment. Also we are thinking about moving to a different place where things are cheaper.

How are your parents?

Unhappy that I'm proposing moving to the US with their only grandchild, especially as they themselves lived in the US for the first 7 years of my daughter's life. They are worried about being alone as they get older.

Different cultures are difficult to get your head around, particularly if you are very traditional and inexperienced in those differences. Both my SO and I come from 'western' cultures, but we're still worlds apart in terms of the discrepancies between family beliefs and values. I have a relationship with my mother in particular that is often strained and hard work. I'm never really sure where I stand and feel that she's often harshly judgemental of me. I realise she wants the best for me, but 'the best' is actually set by her standards. His family, by comparison, let him get away with not doing well at school and there wasn't any expectation that he go to university. His relationship with his parents is honest, equal and he describes them as being best friends. Status matters to my folks, happiness is what's important to his.

It's easy to judge another person's situation, so please don't feel that you have to agree with what I'm about to say, but actually, why should your parents pay towards your husband's college debts? Yes, it would ease your stress but dealing with debts responsibly as a couple and getting yourselves to a place where you can afford your own home together would give you a far greater sense of acheivement.

I honestly don't believe his parents are thinking so far as "let her parents pay for our kid's education, they can afford it". I sure as hell wouldn't let my child's in-laws determine what I should or shouldn't be spending my money on. Help isn't something that should come with conditions, you either give it or you don't. It fosters resentment and keeps apron-strings tied for longer than they should.

If I had to guess, they would always find something that they weren't happy about. After all, it's his existence that has taken their daughter away from them and from my understanding of your culture, they had expectations of how you would 'repay' their support when they are no longer able to work, which you now won't be able to fulfil. Again, resentment.

I don't like thinking of the fact that my parents will be alone without support in their old age, but I have had to make a decision that will benefit both me and my daughter for the long run. I am responsible for myself and her primarily, and getting pyschological/ emotional side of life straight is just as important as the practicalities.

Good luck and hopefully everything will settle down and gradually adjust for the best.

Warmly,

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

They are happy with me getting married to Tom and moving and they love him to bits. They know I'll have a better life with him than in the UK.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

How are your parents?

Do you expect your parents to pay for his college? If not, I think you are stressing out about that because you are not used to have that much debt. But I doubt that your in-laws expects your family try to pay the debt from his schooling.

My parents were not thrilled to see me moving far away & with somebody from different culture. It took a while for my parents to deal with it but they never try to take it out on me and for that my husband & I are very grateful. They just want me to be happy.

I talk to my parents (especially my mom) a lot. If we are not talking for few days, she will send out the search team for me - I will get text messages from my sister & nephew :lol:

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My parents are both deceased, but my siblings (all of them) love my husband, as do my kids. His family, in turn, loves me and my kids. There are differences in the cultures, not huge but recognizable nonetheless. I am the one with debt from college, whereas he has none.

Maybe you are being sensitive without cause? Your family may pass judgment because of differences in the cultures and you sound like you aren't too thrilled with his family either. But remember, you married HIM and you love HIM. You didn't marry his family.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Both our parents feel "If you're happy, we're happy"... :thumbs:

:thumbs:

Same here although I know my mum misses me and my dad is convinced I am going to move back as soon as I can...

As for differences, we have ours too - my mum struggled through a divorce with my dad but put herself back through uni and is now doing really well for herself. Jeremy's family grew up in poverty, sometimes eating out of bins and constantly moving to wherever they could survive.

Now he has worked hard in a fast food restaurant which he manages - it was just a job to start with but now he gets 5 weeks paid leave and full benefits so it's been great for us. He can comfortably support us but his family are under the impression we are rich and expect handouts... it is hard, but sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.

Actually to be honest, it drives me nuts :lol:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

How are your parents?

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things will get better somehow. Just be patient, keep trying hard to work on the issue and pray :)

I had a difficulty as well in the effort to make my parents accept my foreign spouse. It is interesting that he's actually a Japanese, though he was actually born and raised in Canada; and he only visited Japan once when he was 16. however, in about a year, we finally won my parents' heart.

My parents were mostly worried about cultural things (as they're pretty conservative), yet I guess they're relieved to know now that my husband is very nice and far from 'westernised' (anyone, no offence!) :thumbs:

Now my relationship with my parents is better than ever and I am very happy with this.

How's everything now so far? I would be very happy if you have some positive progress as to your situation.

K-1

Application mailed.............12-04-2008

NOA1...............................12-07-2008

Touched...........................03-19-2008

NOA2...............................03-19-2008

Touched...........................04-08-2008

Touched...........................04-22-2008

Sent to NVC......................04-23-2008

Case number generated.....04-29-2008

Case left NVC....................04-30-2008

Case arrived at embassy....05-06-2008

Packet 3...........................05-07-2008

Medical check....................05-08-2008

Packet 4............................05-08-2008

Interview date....05-22-2008 APPROVED

Visa in hand.......................05-29-2008

US entry............................06-02-2008

The wedding......................06-07-2008

AOS, EAD, and AP

Application mailed..............06-18-2008

Application received............06-20-2008

NOA1................................06-24-2008

Touched............................06-27-2008

Biometrics appointment.......07-15-2008

Touched on I-765...............09-03-2008

EAD Card ordered...............09-03-2008

EAD & AP received..............09-10-2008

AOS interview.....................12-08-2008

AOS approved.....................12-08-2008

Two-year GC received..........01-05-2009

Removing Condition (I-751)

Application mailed..................09-17-2010

Application received................09-20-2010

NOA1................................09-27-2010

Biometrics appointments...11-04-2010 & 12-28-2010

App approved...................01-13-2011

Ten-yr GC received.............01-18-2011

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Thank you so much everyone.

I do not expect money from my parents, but I totally understand that my parents want to help me out unless his parents offer the same thing. It is just different and I do not even expect anything from my husband's parents because they cannot.

My brother in law married a really rich girl and now he gets a free wonderful expensive place to live and can get a lot of free things. His wife's parents are too generous and his parents can take an advantage of it.

But, my parents are super strict and they are not going to let us do that. It is totally fine for me.

Every family is different.

I just feel sad and wish I could have a in laws who are financially at least stable.

06/19/2008 POE at LAX with K1 visa

06/28/2008 Married my husband

07/03/2008 Update my social security card

07/19/2008 AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago lock box

07/21/2008 AOS, EAD, AP were received

07/28/2008 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/04/2008 Biometric appointment letter arrived

08/15/2008 Biometric at Santa Ana office

10/21/2008 No update since biometric- contacted a local congressman, the ombudsman

10/22/2008 Was able to do service request

10/23/2008 EAD was approved

10/24/2008 AOS interview letter arrived

11/26/2008 Renew my State ID

12/10/2008 AOS interview approved right away

How are your parents?

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things will get better somehow. Just be patient, keep trying hard to work on the issue and pray :)

I had a difficulty as well in the effort to make my parents accept my foreign spouse. It is interesting that he's actually a Japanese, though he was actually born and raised in Canada; and he only visited Japan once when he was 16. however, in about a year, we finally won my parents' heart. (I mean in a year after we announced our relationship; anyhow we had a complete blessing for the marriage since I think my parents thought they had no other choice and felt like they're going to lose me if they kept disapproving :lol: )

My parents were mostly worried about cultural things (as they're pretty conservative), yet I guess they're relieved to know now that my husband is very nice and far from 'westernised' (anyone, no offence!) :thumbs:

Now my relationship with my parents is better than ever and I am very happy with this.

How's everything now so far? I would be very happy if you have some positive progress as to your situation.

K-1

Application mailed.............12-04-2008

NOA1...............................12-07-2008

Touched...........................03-19-2008

NOA2...............................03-19-2008

Touched...........................04-08-2008

Touched...........................04-22-2008

Sent to NVC......................04-23-2008

Case number generated.....04-29-2008

Case left NVC....................04-30-2008

Case arrived at embassy....05-06-2008

Packet 3...........................05-07-2008

Medical check....................05-08-2008

Packet 4............................05-08-2008

Interview date....05-22-2008 APPROVED

Visa in hand.......................05-29-2008

US entry............................06-02-2008

The wedding......................06-07-2008

AOS, EAD, and AP

Application mailed..............06-18-2008

Application received............06-20-2008

NOA1................................06-24-2008

Touched............................06-27-2008

Biometrics appointment.......07-15-2008

Touched on I-765...............09-03-2008

EAD Card ordered...............09-03-2008

EAD & AP received..............09-10-2008

AOS interview.....................12-08-2008

AOS approved.....................12-08-2008

Two-year GC received..........01-05-2009

Removing Condition (I-751)

Application mailed..................09-17-2010

Application received................09-20-2010

NOA1................................09-27-2010

Biometrics appointments...11-04-2010 & 12-28-2010

App approved...................01-13-2011

Ten-yr GC received.............01-18-2011

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

My parents were very concerned in the beginning -- and they let us both know it! But they are crazy about my husband now and love him as a son. His family has always seemed happy with our decision. But even though our cultures are very different, our parents' expectations for us are pretty similar. I think that has helped.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

It is really hard for my parents, but I think since they realize that they set the curve for the rest of my family accepting our 'path,' they have tried a little more.

It is difficult because my fiance and parents don't speak the same language, and they have never met. Also, aside from cultural differences, we also have a lot of socioeconomic differences. I grew up super middle class america and my fiance grew up lower class nicaragua...during a revolution. Hard to compare. Anyway, I think my parents are scared all of these things will be too difficult for us to work out in our marriage.

I'm hoping and praying that when they meet him, they will love him (almost) as much as I do. The first step: they are planning on coming with me to Nicaragua when he has his interview. So at least they are trying... :thumbs:

Our Wedding Pics

There is always some madness in love.

But there is also always some reason in madness.

Nietzsche

12.Jan.2007..... Met in Ciudad Sandino, Nicaragua.

07.May.2007.... Started dating.

02.Sep.2007..... Engaged!

K-1

06.Aug.2008..... K-1 app sent to California Service Center.

11.Aug.2008..... NOA1 recieved.

07.Jan.2009...... NOA2

13.Feb.2009.......Interview passed!!!

20.Feb.2009.......Received visa.

21.Feb.2009.......POE, Houston

AOS

12.May.2009......Filed AOS.

21.May.2009......NOA1

04.Jun.2009.......Biometrics

18.Jun.2009.......EAD card production ordered

26.Jun.2009.......EAD card received

06.Aug.2009......AOS interview (st. louis) Card production ordered

06.Sep.2009......Wedding Ceremony and Celebration

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

My parents really like Nick and I get on great with Nick's parents and siblings. My parents biggest problem was with me moving so far away. Now we have webcams and I talk to them a couple of times a week and it helps that we can see each other.

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.