one...two...tree

Does Sex Addiction Have Any Basis in Science?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
As per the underlying mechanics of the addiction. Create a neural pathway to facilitate something, and its perpetuation is easy. Which is also why some habits are hard to break.

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

you two get a room.

That was a quote to some of my habits...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any behavior/stimulus that activates too many dopaminergic neurons in the pleasure centers of the brain (basal ganglia) will habituate those connections to preferentially fire upon repetition to the point of requiring more exposure to such behaviors and stimuli in the future. This is the classical neurobiological definition of addiction.

So yes- even sex can become an addiction unto itself. Of course- the study of grade of addiction can be broken down into the pleasurable experience of sex triggered by higher cortical functions (addiction to one person as a spouse) or the pleasurable experience in itself... meaning that the addiction can get 'out of hand.' The latter tends to happen when the association of pleasure, sex, and repetition is tied to a reward that does not have consequences. The brain actually codes this one way or another.

I love someone who can conjure up a decent understanding of psychiatry/neuro-biology.

But I can't have sex with a computer. :(

Edited by HannahP

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Well, as a Computer Engineer...I can tell you that my computer is my second wife. I know its intimate detail. From microprocessor to micro-contollers, and from machine software to higher level software, I know the ins and outs. I know my computer more so than I do know my wife.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I need to see pictures to better understand the article. :whistle:

Well, as a Computer Engineer...I can tell you that my computer is my second wife. I know its intimate detail. From microprocessor to micro-contollers, and from machine software to higher level software, I know the ins and outs. I know my computer more so than I do know my wife.

TMI!!! :lol:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
As per the underlying mechanics of the addiction. Create a neural pathway to facilitate something, and its perpetuation is easy. Which is also why some habits are hard to break.

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

:lol:

:unsure:

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Timeline
Any behavior/stimulus that activates too many dopaminergic neurons in the pleasure centers of the brain (basal ganglia) will habituate those connections to preferentially fire upon repetition to the point of requiring more exposure to such behaviors and stimuli in the future. This is the classical neurobiological definition of addiction.

So yes- even sex can become an addiction unto itself. Of course- the study of grade of addiction can be broken down into the pleasurable experience of sex triggered by higher cortical functions (addiction to one person as a spouse) or the pleasurable experience in itself... meaning that the addiction can get 'out of hand.' The latter tends to happen when the association of pleasure, sex, and repetition is tied to a reward that does not have consequences. The brain actually codes this one way or another.

I love someone who can conjure up a decent understanding of psychiatry/neuro-biology.

But I can't have sex with a computer. :(

Does it help that my MS Thesis covered neuronal plasticity in Somatosensory cortex?

But HAL 9000 loves everyone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

#######! :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if I really believe in "sex addiction" or at least, something such as that which could be added to the DSM-IV. However, if you wished to cure someone's sex addiction, one option would be to make yourself resemble a member of his or her family (i.e. mother, father, grandfather, grandmother). Unless you've run into a Jerry Springer invitee, the chances of him or her being interested in that case is exceedingly slim.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

But in a good way! ;)

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Watched a science program on sex, said of the animal world, the human race has the greatest sex drive and is the only species that can engage in sex 24/7. So is that an addiction or we born that way?

Use to be, okay for your kids to watch murder on TV, you know cowboys and indians, but never sex, sex is a dirty word, but even that is changing now. Depending on how many times the F word is used or how many sex scenes, can be rated PG-13, R, or even X.

Ha, was brought up to think that girls didn't like sex, man, were they wrong. They are worse than us guys are!

Timeline
Watched a science program on sex, said of the animal world, the human race has the greatest sex drive and is the only species that can engage in sex 24/7. So is that an addiction or we born that way?

Use to be, okay for your kids to watch murder on TV, you know cowboys and indians, but never sex, sex is a dirty word, but even that is changing now. Depending on how many times the F word is used or how many sex scenes, can be rated PG-13, R, or even X.

Ha, was brought up to think that girls didn't like sex, man, were they wrong. They are worse than us guys are!

Well... the current line of thinking in that about our species being ohhh ohhh ohhh more sexxed up has to do with being able to couple higher cortical memories, thoughts, and feelings of sex with the physical aspects of the phenomenon. Plus having it surrounding us in everything from our entertainment to our language helps its manifestation a little more than say with chimps or dolphins... two other pretty wild and crazy mammalian species.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Jealous. :lol:

i'm not touching your keyboard, no telling where it's been. notlooking.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!