RyDa

Lack of financial docs

17 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I always thought that the hardest part would be to survive the NOA2 wait, but here we are, have the Interview date set, and it does not get easier.

Here is the financial aspect of our situation. My fiance, the American citizen, has been in school 2005-2007. Therefore, his income has been sketchy. So his mom has volunteered to be our co-sponsor. Now, it took her a while to make this decision, especially after I sent them the list of what they may ask for at the embassy. Her main concern was sending all her detailed info across the globe, it may getting stolen, identity theft, well, you get it.

Now, finally my fiance tells me she has everything ready. At a closer look, it turns out that "everything" includes tax transcripts for 2007, bank statement and affidavit. I asked about the letter of employment, to show that not ony she had a steady income in the past, but she still got it, right? And was told "it's an overkill".

And my fiance, who now makes about 22K, but he's only been at this job for 2 months is sending me his affidavit, his bank statement and recent pay stubs. Turns out he did not file taxes in 2007 as he did not work - only studied full time. So I asked to also sent me a diploma, or a certificate or smth from his school to prove that. And he might get a letter of employment himself, but he says that no one does those where he works .

Please, tell me how screwed are we? We've been arguing over this a lot lately, and he says that it is just too much to send ALL that I asked for. But it's not like I just decided to ask them for all those dox, just for fun.... Oh boy, am I worried?

Thanks!

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

04/10/2010 - Sent the paperwork

04/13/2010 - USCIS received the package

04/19/2010 - SMS and emails about NOA's

04/22/2010 - NOA's (I485 and I765) arrived in mail

05/13/2010 - Biometrics letter arrived in mail

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

06/07/2010 - AOS and EAD touches

06/08/2010 - AOS and EAD touches

06/18/2010 - EAD Card production ordered

06/21/2010 - Received inteview appointment letter in the mail

07/01/2010 - EAD arrived in mail

07/26/2010 - Interview

08/01/2010 - Green Card arrived in mail

Lifting Conditions Timeline

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

03/01/2013 - RFE Response sent

03/11/2013 - Text message and email notification that Card Production has been ordered

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You're right, you do need all of those documents. It's not overkill if you wish to avoid being denied at the interview. If only his mom would get that letter from her employer you'd be all set & safe. I'm not sure how they scrutinize the length of employment, but I do know that they will want to see 2007's taxes and possibly even the past 3 years (form asks for 1 year, but many people have been asked for 3 years). What I did for my employer letter was send an email to the head of our Human Resorces office with a copy of what I wanted the letter to say (word for word) and made it super easy for her. I had her print out 3 copies so they'd all have her original signature on (one to send to embassy, one to take to interview, one for my records). Would his mom be more willing if you sent her a copy of what it needs to say? Maybe she's not sure what to ask for so she doesn't want to do it?

I don't know that I'd submit your fiance's info since his employment is only 2 months so far, and he won't be able to send any tax transcripts along. Seems very risky to me.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

You're right, you do need all of those documents. It's not overkill if you wish to avoid being denied at the interview. If only his mom would get that letter from her employer you'd be all set & safe. I'm not sure how they scrutinize the length of employment, but I do know that they will want to see 2007's taxes and possibly even the past 3 years (form asks for 1 year, but many people have been asked for 3 years). What I did for my employer letter was send an email to the head of our Human Resorces office with a copy of what I wanted the letter to say (word for word) and made it super easy for her. I had her print out 3 copies so they'd all have her original signature on (one to send to embassy, one to take to interview, one for my records). Would his mom be more willing if you sent her a copy of what it needs to say? Maybe she's not sure what to ask for so she doesn't want to do it?

I don't know that I'd submit your fiance's info since his employment is only 2 months so far, and he won't be able to send any tax transcripts along. Seems very risky to me.

Thank you so much! I don't know why it is such a big deal to do it, but my fiance says she said "it would be embarrassing and wouldn't do it" :wacko:

We do appreciate her help anyway, of course! But I'm just afraid it might be no good in the end.

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

03/11/2013 - Text message and email notification that Card Production has been ordered

Timeline

You can't go wrong by including too much. In fact, 'too much' may be what the consulate wants. Discuss the negative consequences of not having all the documents at your interview: denial of visa. Letter of employment is needed for the reason you stated: proof of steady employment and proof of salary. Your fiance should have filed taxes last year as he paid taxes on his tuition. You need need substantiated proof to show a valid reason as to why he didn't submit a tax return when it comes time to Adjust. Keep in mind that at the K-1 level, only one sponsor is needed. The petitioner does not need to submit an aff. of support if there is another sponsor. However, he WILL need these documents when you apply to adjust status.

At my interview there was an individual who did not have all the required documents. He was told to come back to the consulate when he had all the documents requested.

The K-1 info gathering, in my opinion, was much easier in comparison to the AOS info gathering. The AOS I-864 seems to be much more scrutinized than the k-1 version. Get as much information from your sponsors' in one shot. Make photocopies of everything. Bring them with you to the States so when it comes time to adjust, everything is there. Asking for htis information twice in one year will just throw more caution into the air. Whatever that means. :)

Be stern when discussing this stuff with him and good luck!

--------------------

K-1

03-25-2008 - Filed I-129f

03-28-2008 - NOA1

07-31-2008 - NOA2 (no touches)

09-30-2008 - Packet 3 sent

10-10-2008 - Packet 4 received

10-29-2008 - Interview in Vancouver

AOS

12-16-2008 - I - 485 Package arrived in Chicago (signed by V. Bustamonte)

12-19-2008 - Check Cashed

12-19-2008 - NOA1 Date

01-07-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

03-06-2009 - EAD Card Received

03-13-2009 - AP Received

04-27-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

05-02-2009 - GC Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I think his current job counts most. When I filled a k1 for my hubby I was in grad school and I didn't need a co-sponsor. I was able to document the money I lived on using financial aid award letters and tax transcripts (when applicable). Read my old post. It might give you some ideas: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...;p=1011373&

Also, he should approach his employer again about a letter or employment. Its not the type of things that employees request regularly and sometimes employers get concerned with legal implication of writing a letter supporting a immigration petition. He may have better luck if he discusses it again provides a (1) drafts a letter himself- don't give someone else work to do. If they like the draft they can just sign it, or the can edit. (2) Maybe address the letter to the employee (not the CO).

Timeline
I think his current job counts most. When I filled a k1 for my hubby I was in grad school and I didn't need a co-sponsor. I was able to document the money I lived on using financial aid award letters and tax transcripts (when applicable). Read my old post. It might give you some ideas: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...;p=1011373&

Also, he should approach his employer again about a letter or employment. Its not the type of things that employees request regularly and sometimes employers get concerned with legal implication of writing a letter supporting a immigration petition. He may have better luck if he discusses it again provides a (1) drafts a letter himself- don't give someone else work to do. If they like the draft they can just sign it, or the can edit. (2) Maybe address the letter to the employee (not the CO).

Only problem is her fiance did NOT file taxes in 2007. I'd still work on the mom.

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I didn't file taxes one year. I included a copy of the IRS code that excluded me from filing taxes. Thats why I said, "...tax transcripts (when applicable)."

Edited by reeses16

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everybody!

I always thought that the hardest part would be to survive the NOA2 wait, but here we are, have the Interview date set, and it does not get easier.

Here is the financial aspect of our situation. My fiance, the American citizen, has been in school 2005-2007. Therefore, his income has been sketchy. So his mom has volunteered to be our co-sponsor. Now, it took her a while to make this decision, especially after I sent them the list of what they may ask for at the embassy. Her main concern was sending all her detailed info across the globe, it may getting stolen, identity theft, well, you get it.

Now, finally my fiance tells me she has everything ready. At a closer look, it turns out that "everything" includes tax transcripts for 2007, bank statement and affidavit. I asked about the letter of employment, to show that not ony she had a steady income in the past, but she still got it, right? And was told "it's an overkill".

And my fiance, who now makes about 22K, but he's only been at this job for 2 months is sending me his affidavit, his bank statement and recent pay stubs. Turns out he did not file taxes in 2007 as he did not work - only studied full time. So I asked to also sent me a diploma, or a certificate or smth from his school to prove that. And he might get a letter of employment himself, but he says that no one does those where he works .

Please, tell me how screwed are we? We've been arguing over this a lot lately, and he says that it is just too much to send ALL that I asked for. But it's not like I just decided to ask them for all those dox, just for fun.... Oh boy, am I worried?

Thanks!

As far as identity theft is concerned, I believe you can black out personal information such as social security numbers and bank account numbers. If I am wrong I hope someone will correct me.

Thanks! His mom WAS actually gonna black out her SSN. I figured it wouldn't be that big a deal, since they won't have time to run it thru any kind of check at the embassy.

I'll keep trying to straighten out the rest of stuff too. I can't believe, in the very end, we hit such a stumble. Immigration red-tape, I hate you! :devil:

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello everybody!

Thanks!

Looks good to me if they'll include a couple recent pay stubs instead of employer letters.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Speaking of Affidavits and such - we called the Embassy and co-sponsors are, according to them, allowed and used all the time.

However, there is one more technicality I am unsure, but curious about. We hope that, financially, what my fiance will have by the time of the interview will be enough. We'll also have a signed and overall ready co-sponsor Affidavit, but we'd like to not turn it in with the rest of the documents at the Embassy, but instead to give it to the CO in case they asked for more proof (documents, whatevers) during the interview. Is this even possible? Or is it better to hand in both Affidavits? Would they just ignore (and therefore return) the one signed by the co-sponsor if the petitioner's was sufficient?

The problem might be the fact that my fiance won't have tax returns for any year other than 2008. He makes enough money now, and has been in 2008, overall. Before that, he was in college and didn't file taxes.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Speaking of Affidavits and such - we called the Embassy and co-sponsors are, according to them, allowed and used all the time.

However, there is one more technicality I am unsure, but curious about. We hope that, financially, what my fiance will have by the time of the interview will be enough. We'll also have a signed and overall ready co-sponsor Affidavit, but we'd like to not turn it in with the rest of the documents at the Embassy, but instead to give it to the CO in case they asked for more proof (documents, whatevers) during the interview. Is this even possible? Or is it better to hand in both Affidavits? Would they just ignore (and therefore return) the one signed by the co-sponsor if the petitioner's was sufficient?

The problem might be the fact that my fiance won't have tax returns for any year other than 2008. He makes enough money now, and has been in 2008, overall. Before that, he was in college and didn't file taxes.

Badgerella, I read somewhere about a girl who had two sets of fin-l dox too, her fiance's and their co-sponsors. When she was called to submit the documents before the interview to one of the consulate workers, she gave her fiance's financial papers and said that they also had a co-sponsor, however she was told that she would only need to present them if the CO asked during the interview. And I believe he never did.

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

Looks good to me if they'll include a couple recent pay stubs instead of employer letters.

That gives me hope. Thanks!

AOS Timeline

04/16/2009 - Marriage

06/04/2010 - Biometrics

07/26/2010 - Interview

07/16/2012 - NOA1

08/11/2012 - Biometrics

02/23/2013 - RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

Badgerella, I read somewhere about a girl who had two sets of fin-l dox too, her fiance's and their co-sponsors. When she was called to submit the documents before the interview to one of the consulate workers, she gave her fiance's financial papers and said that they also had a co-sponsor, however she was told that she would only need to present them if the CO asked during the interview. And I believe he never did.

Thanks for your help. It'll be awesome if it ends up working for us that way.

I-129F Sent: Aug 20th 2008

Interview Date: April 8th 2009, 10:30 - APPROVED!

K-1 Visa Received: April 9th 2009

POE: Aug 8th 2009, Minneapolis

Wedding: Aug 28th 2009

Our I-129f was approved in 107 days from our NOA1 date.

Our I-129f was approved in 114 days from our filing date.

Our case spent 52 days being chewed by NVC.

Our interview took 224 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS, AP, EAD filed: Oct 15th 2009

Biometrics: Nov 24th 2009

AP received: Dec 14th 2009

EAD received: Dec 17th 2009

Green Card received: Dec 18th 2009

http://www.badgerella.com/forum

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.