웃

Donna Versace to build world's first air conditioned beach in Dubai

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline
Versace, the renowned fashion house, is to create the world's first refrigerated beach so that hotel guests can walk comfortably across the sand on scorching days. The beach will be next to the the new Palazzo Versace hotel which is being built in Dubai where summer temperatures average 40C and can reach 50C. The beach will have a network of pipes beneath the sand containing a coolant that will absorb heat from the surface. The swimming pool will be refrigerated and there are also proposals to install giant blowers to waft a gentle breeze over the beach. The scheme is likely to infuriate environmentalists. The revelation comes as more than 11,000 politicians, green campaigners and others are gathered in Poznan, Poland, for the latest talks on cutting greenhouse gas emissions. Last week the Met Office released a report warning that if greenhouse gas emissions continued to rise, the world could warm by an average of 5.5C by 2100. Inefficient buildings are one of the world's greatest sources of greenhouse gases. However, Soheil Abedian, founder and president of Palazzo Versace, said he believed it is possible to design a refrigerated beach and make it sustainable. "We will suck the heat out of the sand to keep it cool enough to lie on," he said. "This is the kind of luxury that top people want." Hyder Consulting, a British construction consultancy, is overseeing the engineering on the project. The hotel will be marketed strongly in the UK where Dubai is a popular tourist destination, attracting about 800,000 Britons a year. Abedian's firm began its association with Versace a decade ago with the idea of creating the first chain of luxury fashion-branded lifestyle resorts. The first Palazzo Versace is already operating on Australia's Gold Coast – where Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey, the actors, have stayed – and the Dubai hotel will be the second when it opens late next year or early 2010. The 10-storey hotel will have 213 rooms, several with their own internal swimming pools, plus 169 apartments. Fifteen more such hotels are planned. Competition to serve the world's rich is getting intense, especially in Dubai. The city already boasts the world's first seven-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab, while Armani, a competitor with Versace, is building a similarly branded Dubai hotel. The refrigerated beach is designed to give Versace the edge in this battle of luxury lifestyles. The system will be controlled by thermostats linked to computers. Versace's plans have shocked environmentalists. Rachel Noble, the campaigns officer at Tourism Concern, which promotes sustainable tourism, said that the carbon generated by such projects would contribute to climate change, whose worst effects would be felt by the poor. "Dubai is like a bubble world where the things that are worrying the rest of the world, like climate change, are simply ignored so that people can continue their destructive lifestyles," she said. Aided by cheap oil and gas, Middle Eastern nations have poured enormous resources into controlling temperature. About 60% of Dubai's huge power bill is for air-conditioning; each person living there has a carbon footprint of more than 44 tons of CO2 a year.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle5338099.ece

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

The city already boasts the world's first seven-star hotel, the Burj Al Arab, while Armani, a competitor with Versace, is building a similarly branded Dubai hotel. The refrigerated beach is designed to give Versace the edge in this battle of luxury lifestyles.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/envi...icle5338099.ece

7 stars on the self appointed standard. :lol: Why not 9 or 10 stars?

The only recognized rating systems are:

Michelin: rates restaurants at a maximum of 3 stars

Mobil travel guide: rates hotels/restaurants at a maximum of 5 stars

Two things popped to mind right away:

1. that scene from Wall-E (brilliant movie from those who may not have seen it yet)

where they have an indoor cultivated beach designed for ultra-comfort and no effort

2. words like: decadence and affluenza

Ha!

Sick, really.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Dubai is trying so hard to market themselves as "the place" for the uber wealthy to go to vacation. Look at some of the over the top architecture of hotels and office buildings. I think they are trying a little too hard. My analogy is that rich kid at college who was home schooled and had no friends. He throws his money at everything so everyone will think he's cool. Sad thing is everyone takes his beer money and laughs at him lolol

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Dubai is trying so hard to market themselves as "the place" for the uber wealthy to go to vacation. Look at some of the over the top architecture of hotels and office buildings. I think they are trying a little too hard. My analogy is that rich kid at college who was home schooled and had no friends. He throws his money at everything so everyone will think he's cool. Sad thing is everyone takes his beer money and laughs at him lolol

great analogy! :lol:

Filed: Timeline

uh oh I was a rich home schooled kid but I had friends...I don't drink beer either...I'm scared :blink:

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

uh oh I was a rich home schooled kid but I had friends...I don't drink beer either...I'm scared :blink:

different, your parents obviously got you out and interacting with other kids, you certainly don't lack social skills or the ability to make friends. :star:

Filed: Timeline

different, your parents obviously got you out and interacting with other kids, you certainly don't lack social skills or the ability to make friends. :star:

:dance:

back to donna :lol:

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Just wait until the oil reserves of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, Iran etc all run out. Their investments in foreign countries will be nationalized just as they did in the 1960's and 1970's to N.American and European countries.

Sorry for the analogy Amby, my analogy was based on a kid that lived on my hall during my freshman year in college. He was beyond wealthy, home schooled, and socially retarded, and above all, decadent. He had a big screen T.V., and a wine refrigerator and would buy a keg for any girl who would talk to him FFS.

But back to Donatella Versace. What shade of orange is she this week? Is that a side effect of the insane amounts of botox injected into her, or spray on tan?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
such waste. just another way to separate humans from experiencing their true environment.

So, what is our "true" environment? :unsure:

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
such waste. just another way to separate humans from experiencing their true environment.

So, what is our "true" environment? :unsure:

jungle.jpg

or

wallpaper_2_1024.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!