Amby

doctor's advice: leave the toilet seat up

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

One of the longest-running spousal debates may now be settled in favor of men and for the sake of little boys.

Leave the toilet seat up, some British doctors now say. The reason: a rising trend for heavy wooden and ornamental toilet seats to fall down onto the penises of unsuspecting (and just potty-trained) toddlers.

Dr. Joe Philip and his colleagues of Leighton Hospital, Crewe, in England detail such #######-crush injuries in the December issue of the journal BJU International. The team reports on four boys between the ages of 2 and 4 who were admitted to hospitals with injuries serious enough to require an overnight stay.

The doctors say the injuries have implications for holiday travel and at-home toilet safety for parents with male toddlers.

"As Christmas approaches many families will be visiting relatives and friends and their recently toilet-trained toddlers will be keen to show how grown up they are by going to the toilet on their own," Philip said. "It is important that parents check out the toilet seats in advance, not to mention the ones they have in their own homes, and accompany their children if necessary."

The team found that all four toddlers had been potty trained and were using the toilet on their own when the incidents occurred. Each had lifted the toilet seat, which fell back down and crushed his #######. Three of the toddlers showed a build-up of fluid in the foreskin, but they were still able to urinate. The fourth had so-called glandular tenderness.

Luckily, the doctors say, the toddlers showed no injuries to the urethra (the tube in the ####### that carries urine out) and no bleeding. All four toddlers were able to leave the hospital the next day.

To keep toddlers safe during their journey in the bathroom, the doctors suggest the following tips:

• Parents should consider using toilet seats that fall slowly and with reduced momentum, which would reduce the risk and degree of injury.
  • Heavier toilet seats could be banned in houses with male infants.
  • Households with male infants should consider leaving the toilet seat up after use, even though it contradicts the social norm of putting it down.
  • Parents could educate their toddlers to hold the toilet seat up with one hand while urinating. During such a feat, parents should keep an eye on toddlers until the toddler can do this by himself.
"As any parent knows, toilet training can be a difficult time with any toddler," Philip said. "We are concerned that the growing trend of heavy toilet seats poses a risk not only to their health, but to their confidence."

http://www.livescience.com/health/081211-t...at-dangers.html

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Sh!t,

I was about to email this to ze wife but we don't have heirs to the throne yet! doesn't apply to US!!! :ranting:

Back to the drawing board...

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

we have cats, so not an option.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
we have cats, so not an option.

Same here, both the seat and lid go down, don't want my dog licking my face after he took a drink from the toilet. A much greater hazard is closing a dresser drawer on your dingding, ouch, that hurt like hell. Did that when I was a kid, once, and once was enough.

Oh, I hate it when someone leaves the seat up. I just recently installed a piece of tape with DOWN and an arrow pointing down written on it on "someone's" toilet seat (on the bottom of it). :lol:

That person (who shall remain nameless due to privacy reasons) still leaves the seat up at times and it makes me wonder what part of "Down" that person doesn't understand. :whistle:

The toilet seat up really doesn't bug me that much unless I'm half asleep and don't turn on the light in the bathroom and then I sit on it with the seat up. The thing that drives me nuts is water all over the cabinets by the sink. I'm a leaner, I lean on stuff and then my pants or my shirt gets wet because there's water all over the cabinet.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

IMO, they can afford a heavy wooden loo-seat (usually, this costs more $$ or ££ than the loo itself) so they can probably afford the corrective surgery.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Oh, I hate it when someone leaves the seat up. I just recently installed a piece of tape with DOWN and an arrow pointing down written on it on "someone's" toilet seat (on the bottom of it). :lol:

That person (who shall remain nameless due to privacy reasons) still leaves the seat up at times and it makes me wonder what part of "Down" that person doesn't understand. :whistle:

:bonk: he's not a dog!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Roll up the rim to win.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg