one...two...tree

Buying Green: Products for Sustainable Living

69 posts in this topic

Of course there is a marketing strategy to be had out of 'going green' this is America, baby! However, I am sure most people can identify the difference between buying 'green products' because it's 'cool' and developing a green strategy for living. There are many 'little' things one can do without buying specialty products and there are some things that can't be done unless we do, go figure.

The wind up torches/flashlights are very cool - as are wind up radios. We'll be grateful after the earthquake hits!

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
It's just my opinion but I think way too many people are caught up in the "marketing of Green" than actually living in the spirit of it.

What the hell is the purpose of buying a wind-up flashlight, if you live in a 2000 Sqft house?

Is it not self deception?

Anyway, I take pretty big measures to conserve energy use, not because I am trying to SAVE THE PLANET.. but for a less lofty reason, I am trying to save a few bucks.

I actually tried one of those flashlights in a store and it seem to take a lot of work to keep the thing going, perhaps a great gift for a fat friend?

There are a ton of folks out there (and right here) who love that little warm feeling they get when they buy Green products.... corporations know this and now they are using this in their marketing plan.

Does anyone really think that buying a bottle of "green" glass cleaner is going to improve the earths water quality? If you are really serious about water...... why don't you start with getting rid of that toilet in your house which consumes about 2 gallons of clean drinking water each time you take a wizz?

I have tried a few products such as Paint and some cleaners that are suppose to be good for the enviro, none work as good as the regular stuff (and they are always more money)...although I am told the water based finishes for floors and such has vastly improved.

What can I say, if setting the A/C in the summer up to 80 degrees and the heat down to 65 in the winter is asking too much of you, then go ahead and buy "green" products if they make you feel like a better human.

Danno - let me ask you this? Are you a pretty clean person? For example, do you throw away your trash into a garbage can?

I am sorry I didn't check out this thread earlier. Danno is right on with that last post... lofty or not... being green doesn't necessarily mean being ritzy.

Sure - nor does frugality or conservation mean one must go to extremes to do so.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Steven. Where possible, profiteering will occur with all new trends, fashions, and fads. Hence being 'green' in some locations is synonymous with being a yuppy, avant garde liberal or something of the sort as characterized by stereotypes. Nevertheless, if one wants to be serioulsy ecologically-minded without the fashion tag, then action exemplifies the spirit often misquoted as frugal. I think you'd rather be intelligent than extreme, right? Some folks will label things as they may... but without putting some gray matter into the problem, chances are they'll end up defeating their own purpose one way or another.

Yep. That's why consumers shouldn't be swayed by trends either way, but being informed (smart) consumers.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I stopped using the plastic grocery bags- I bring my own and my grocery store gives me 5 cent back for each bag.

I also stopped driving like an idiot - saves gas and good for the enviro.

We use energy efficient lightbulbs and recycle, there are so many things you can do that don't cost much or even save money. And we are definitely NOT hippies/tree huggers. :lol:

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Timeline

How to Have a Green Christmas.

Buy Smart - think 'green'

• look for locally made gifts - many gifts in today's marketplace come from halfway around the world, and the impact of transportation contributes significantly to greenhouse emissions and global warming. Local craft fairs and artisan shops are a good source for gifts that come without the added costs of transportation.

• choose gifts made from recycled sources - many individuals and small businesses have developed great products using recycled materials. Supporting these businesses helps reduce the waste stream while promoting the concept of making best use of available materials. Here are some examples for you to consider: Gifts from recycled materials

• give 'battery-free' gifts - According to the EPA, about 40% of all battery sales occur during the holiday season. Discarded batteries are an environmental hazard. Even rechargeable batteries find their way into the waste stream eventually. Here are a few examples of gifts that have less of an impact on the environment: Naturally-powered toys

• avoid children's toys that promote violence - there is too much violence in the world, and the new wave of video games for children is disturbing. Remember the theme of Christmas is "Peace of Earth". There are many toys and games that are fun, and nurture childrens creativity and sense of active play. Here are some examples: Educational toys and games

• 're-gifting' is OK - there is much discussion about etiquette behind the trend to 're-gift', that is, to pass on a gift you received but do not need. What's to discuss? Re-gifting makes perfect sense. If you receive something you really don't need, look for ways you can reuse this gift by passing it on to someone who can use it. Of course, re-gifting needs to be done with care so as not to offend the original giver, but keeping a gift you don't need is wasteful.

"A great way to teach children the spirit of giving (and simplifying) during the holidays is to ask them to pick 3 toys that they don't play with very much, and donate them to a homeless shelter, domestic violence shelter etc. I saw children bring toys in to the shelter I worked at year after year - it was a wonderful experience for everyone!" ........Lauren, New Hampshire

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Of course there is a marketing strategy to be had out of 'going green' this is America, baby! However, I am sure most people can identify the difference between buying 'green products' because it's 'cool' and developing a green strategy for living. There are many 'little' things one can do without buying specialty products and there are some things that can't be done unless we do, go figure.

The wind up torches/flashlights are very cool - as are wind up radios. We'll be grateful after the earthquake hits!

<_<

:lol:

Unless the marketing is gooooood.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

<_<

:lol:

Unless the marketing is gooooood.

Even "hipsters" have caught on.

Woohoo!

First the disenfranchised youth and then the world.

:thumbs:

Edited by SpiritAlight

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

Wow...check out this deal from Amazon! :o

Illuminator Self Powered 4-in-1 FM Radio / Alarm / 3 White focused LED flashlight / Mobile phone charger Crank Powered

List Price: $39.99 Price: $9.49 You Save: $30.50 (76%)

http://www.amazon.com/Illuminator-Powered-...u-wl_item-added

Edited by Mister Fancypants

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
It's just my opinion but I think way too many people are caught up in the "marketing of Green" than actually living in the spirit of it.

What the hell is the purpose of buying a wind-up flashlight, if you live in a 2000 Sqft house?

Is it not self deception?

Anyway, I take pretty big measures to conserve energy use, not because I am trying to SAVE THE PLANET.. but for a less lofty reason, I am trying to save a few bucks.

I actually tried one of those flashlights in a store and it seem to take a lot of work to keep the thing going, perhaps a great gift for a fat friend?

There are a ton of folks out there (and right here) who love that little warm feeling they get when they buy Green products.... corporations know this and now they are using this in their marketing plan.

Does anyone really think that buying a bottle of "green" glass cleaner is going to improve the earths water quality? If you are really serious about water...... why don't you start with getting rid of that toilet in your house which consumes about 2 gallons of clean drinking water each time you take a wizz?

I have tried a few products such as Paint and some cleaners that are suppose to be good for the enviro, none work as good as the regular stuff (and they are always more money)...although I am told the water based finishes for floors and such has vastly improved.

What can I say, if setting the A/C in the summer up to 80 degrees and the heat down to 65 in the winter is asking too much of you, then go ahead and buy "green" products if they make you feel like a better human.

Danno - let me ask you this? Are you a pretty clean person? For example, do you throw away your trash into a garbage can?

I have one of those "roll down to the curb" trash cans which I can usually fill each week.

If I did not put waste from my work in it, it would probably be only a third full.

I also have a metal can that I burn stuff in. (if the trash can run-ith over).

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
How to Have a Green Christmas.

Buy Smart - think 'green'

• look for locally made gifts - many gifts in today's marketplace come from halfway around the world, and the impact of transportation contributes significantly to greenhouse emissions and global warming. Local craft fairs and artisan shops are a good source for gifts that come without the added costs of transportation.

• choose gifts made from recycled sources - many individuals and small businesses have developed great products using recycled materials. Supporting these businesses helps reduce the waste stream while promoting the concept of making best use of available materials. Here are some examples for you to consider: Gifts from recycled materials

• give 'battery-free' gifts - According to the EPA, about 40% of all battery sales occur during the holiday season. Discarded batteries are an environmental hazard. Even rechargeable batteries find their way into the waste stream eventually. Here are a few examples of gifts that have less of an impact on the environment: Naturally-powered toys

• avoid children's toys that promote violence - there is too much violence in the world, and the new wave of video games for children is disturbing. Remember the theme of Christmas is "Peace of Earth". There are many toys and games that are fun, and nurture childrens creativity and sense of active play. Here are some examples: Educational toys and games

• 're-gifting' is OK - there is much discussion about etiquette behind the trend to 're-gift', that is, to pass on a gift you received but do not need. What's to discuss? Re-gifting makes perfect sense. If you receive something you really don't need, look for ways you can reuse this gift by passing it on to someone who can use it. Of course, re-gifting needs to be done with care so as not to offend the original giver, but keeping a gift you don't need is wasteful.

"A great way to teach children the spirit of giving (and simplifying) during the holidays is to ask them to pick 3 toys that they don't play with very much, and donate them to a homeless shelter, domestic violence shelter etc. I saw children bring toys in to the shelter I worked at year after year - it was a wonderful experience for everyone!" ........Lauren, New Hampshire

ok dude.. that sounds so freaking hippie, like for real.. that was off the hook hippie.. I know there's some good alternatives to be green.. but suggesting free-battery toys sounds so darn tree-huggerish, but in a bad way.. in a 'why dont we just go back living in huts and fish and hunt' way

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline
ok dude.. that sounds so freaking hippie, like for real.. that was off the hook hippie.. I know there's some good alternatives to be green.. but suggesting free-battery toys sounds so darn tree-huggerish, but in a bad way.. in a 'why dont we just go back living in huts and fish and hunt' way

LOL - Hey, I'm old enough to remember when cool toys didn't have batteries and as a kid, you hated to get one because you knew the stupid batteries would go dead and then the toy would no longer be fun. That said, I've noticed that a lot of battery powered toys run on smaller batteries which last an extremely long time. But honestly, we really have no established way to properly dispose batteries and the do cause a lot of problems when dumped in landfills.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

well we don't have proper ways to dispose many things of daily use.. so because of that people shouldnt buy tv's, or computers, or alarm systems in their homes (those lead acid big batteries)?

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline
well we don't have proper ways to dispose many things of daily use.. so because of that people shouldnt buy tv's, or computers, or alarm systems in their homes (those lead acid big batteries)?

No, but instead of tossing out our TV after 3 years because it's not the biggest and baddest, we buy one as a long term investment....the way Americans used to buy things. We bought our cars and kept them until the engine would drop out from them. We've become way too disposable at the cost of our environment...and ironically, our children and our children's children are paying the price. Cutting back on waste and being more conscientious consumers is not too big of sacrifice to place on ourselves and our quality of life - and the consequence is that it will improve the quality of life for all. :)