Cry_Tuff

Out of Status and wants to return to Home Country

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, we have not completed the AOS as yet. We were married Feb. 16, 2008. Due to one unforeseen event after another, we have had to put it off. Now my husband is out of status (he is from the U.K.-British). However, he now wants to go back home. We live in Ohio, and it's no big mystery that Ohio's economy and job market sucks at the moment. He is wanting to go back there so he can work. Now, he also can't stand it here. I have two children, from a previous marriage (one who is special needs)...am in college, and working full time....so it's not as if I can just uproot and leave. He's not happy here overall, I also am mature enough to realize it takes two to make a relationship work.

So...my question is...if he wanted to leave to go back...and we have not applied for the Green Card, Work Authorization, or Advance Parole...how hard would it be for him to return to the UK?

Also, should it come down to him wanting to come back (I'm aware we would have to probably start all over with paperwork)...but what type of process would we be looking at then as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply.

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I'm not sure if he'd be facing any penalties for overstaying but I do know it won't be a problem for him to leave, the problem arises when/if he plans on coming back...will you be going with him? I've learned that USCIS has every piece of paper we ever filed and ever single entry into the USA they know about...so they'll have record of his last entry that he overstayed on and it might be brought up if/when you have to reapply in the future...the process wouldn't change much, should be the same as this time around...(Pleaase if anyone has any SOLID advice please comment)...

If you don't mind me asking, is he happy with the marriage? is it just not being able to work that's bothering him (if it is maybe he can't just apply for EAD then do AAOS later...which will cost more than if you just file AOS now along with EAD) but at least he'll be able to work....

Good Luck to you both

Greencard (2008):

July 16....AOS mailed;

July 17.......AOS received
July 21.......NOA1 receipt date

July 23.......Check Cashed
July 25.......Received NOA1

July 28.......Received Biometrics appointment
Aug 12.....received RFE notice

Aug 13...Biometrics Appointment

August 19...RFE received, case resumed processing
Oct. 8.........EAD Card production ordered

Oct. 16.......EAD Approval noticed mailed
Oct. 18........EAD in hand (came in mail)
Nov 3.........Interview Notice received in mail
Dec 4.........Interview APPROVED, CRIS email: card production ordered
Dec 9.........Welcome noticed received in mail Dec 9.........card production ordered
Dec 14.......Received greencard in mail

CITIZENSHIP (2014):
May 7...Application mailed out

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Hey I am sorry about your dilemma and it seems that it is really unfair that he is quitting without seeing what ure going through. What a jerk ? Anyways, he can allways go back to his own home country, since I assume he is a citizen of UK. But, yes like you said, for him to combe back here will be a whole different story and you might want to start the process all over again. I am not sure how thats gonna work out. I mean if you had filed for Advance parole and had gotten the actual AP document, he can go and keep coming back as to whenever he chooses until the expiry date on the document. Anyways he should see that you'r in college and your also supporting your kids and he should just hang in there, even if the economy is bad. Tell him to take whatever he gets and help you out, and don't look at the job and how bad it is. Its true it takes two to make a relationship work and he is not helping in any way, and it looks like he is only thinking of himself. But anyways, if he wants to go back home and he doesn't mind leaving you, then I feel that maybe there is no love.....?

Edited by chrismatt84

09/15/08 - mailed AOS, I-130, AP and EAD thru USPS

09/16/08 - Received and signed

9/22/08 - Cheques are cashed

9/23/08 - Received NOA for I-130, I-131. I-485, I-765 and Appointment for Biometrics for 15th

9/23/08 - Can see statuses online though USCIS website

10/02/08 - CRIS touch for AP and EAD

10/15/23 - Biometrics Appointment completed!!!

11/26/08 – CRIS TOUCH – "Card Production for EAD Ordered" message in email

12/1/08 – CRIS TOUCH - "AP Approved" message in email

12/2/08 – CRIS TOUCH – Again “Card Production for EAD” through email

12/5/08 – CRIS TOUCH – “EAD Approval Notice Sent” through mail

12/5/08 - Got AP document today in USPS mail...Now I can go back to India to see my parents for Christmas!!!!

12/6/08 - Got EAD Card in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!

1/3/09 - Interview letter received in mail. Interview on February 10th 2009

2/2/09 - Found a Job!!!!

2/10/09 - Had interview and they took my EAD card and AP. I'm approved....!!!!

2/11/09 - Got Green Card in mail.

No touch on I-130 since 10/08/2008

NO touch on AOS since 10/16/2008

Green Card expiry for 2/12/11

11/1/10 - Filed AR-11 online and I-865

11/19/10 - Filed I-751 to California center with 545 check$

11/24/10 - Cheque has been cashed

11/29/10 - Got NOA FOR I-751

02/16/11 - Green card Approved though mail

03/02/11 - Green Card received in mail

Timeline

Edited by keweul

Greencard (2008):

July 16....AOS mailed;

Dec 9.........Welcome noticed received in mail Dec 9.........card production ordered

CITIZENSHIP (2014):

So...my question is...if he wanted to leave to go back...and we have not applied for the Green Card, Work Authorization, or Advance Parole...how hard would it be for him to return to the UK?

Also, should it come down to him wanting to come back (I'm aware we would have to probably start all over with paperwork)...but what type of process would we be looking at then as well?

Should he want to return (this time as spouse) you could choose either the K3 or CR-1 path. It would be no more difficult than if you had done it this way from the beginning. CR-1 path would be best in the long run - a bit cheaper and you would not be adjusting status (and waiting for EAD etc) upon entry to the US. :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

He can leave at any time and return to the UK. The problem he is going to have is his overstay, if it has been more than 180 days since his I-94 expired then he is facing a 3 year ban on re-entry to the USA, if he waits until it is 365 days or more then he is facing a 10 year ban.

If he then wanted to return to the US even as a visitor he is going to need a visa he will not be able to use the VWP if you both wanted him to return to live in the US he would need to get a CR1/IR1 or K3, because of any ban incurred he will also need to apply for a wavier or wait out the ban then apply to come back.

Is there no way you can file for his AOS and EAD so that he can at least find some work.

Timeline

To answer your questions: He says that my children would never make it in the UK. I for one know that, as children there are more advanced than American children. Not only that, but they leave school at the age of 16 and can choose to go to college or work from then on (although most nowadays are electing to become pregant or troublemakers. His son is 19..so there is a big difference between his age and the age of my children. My 8 year old son has epilepsy, ADHD, and is in special needs classes... so education and medical care is something I can not take lightly. My daughter is 11 years old and in the 5th grade here. It is doubtful that I would be moving over with him at this point in time, as my children would have to come first. ChrisMatt....I would have to say to your question...on his part..no..he feels love is just a word that is overused.There are so many things I could go into, but I won't as I feel it is private and I don't want to stir up even more problems, but no he isn't happy with the marriage....partly because he can't work...but then he goes on about not having any friends, no family here, is afraid to go anywhere (and we live in a decent neighborhood)..out of fear of getting lost..etc..etc.. He's upset that my family doesn't come around to check in on him. (when both of my parents work full time, my sister has 3 different jobs, etc). I know I married him because I loved him....and wouldn't have gone through this process if it wasn't for love. (even if he's never worn his wedding ring except for the day of the wedding). There's more to it all, and it may be in the best interest of both of us to separate for a while...it's just hard when he says things like he doesn't think my kids love him...(when he's never told them he does...it has to come from the adult first)...it's like the old saying...If you love something let it go free. If it doesn't come back, you never had it. If it comes back, love it forever.

I-129F

AOS

........ho hum....

Timeline
To answer your questions: He says that my children would never make it in the UK. I for one know that, as children there are more advanced than American children. Not only that, but they leave school at the age of 16 and can choose to go to college or work from then on (although most nowadays are electing to become pregant or troublemakers. His son is 19..so there is a big difference between his age and the age of my children. My 8 year old son has epilepsy, ADHD, and is in special needs classes... so education and medical care is something I can not take lightly. My daughter is 11 years old and in the 5th grade here. It is doubtful that I would be moving over with him at this point in time, as my children would have to come first. ChrisMatt....I would have to say to your question...on his part..no..he feels love is just a word that is overused.There are so many things I could go into, but I won't as I feel it is private and I don't want to stir up even more problems, but no he isn't happy with the marriage....partly because he can't work...but then he goes on about not having any friends, no family here, is afraid to go anywhere (and we live in a decent neighborhood)..out of fear of getting lost..etc..etc.. He's upset that my family doesn't come around to check in on him. (when both of my parents work full time, my sister has 3 different jobs, etc). I know I married him because I loved him....and wouldn't have gone through this process if it wasn't for love. (even if he's never worn his wedding ring except for the day of the wedding). There's more to it all, and it may be in the best interest of both of us to separate for a while...it's just hard when he says things like he doesn't think my kids love him...(when he's never told them he does...it has to come from the adult first)...it's like the old saying...If you love something let it go free. If it doesn't come back, you never had it. If it comes back, love it forever.

I'm sorry to hear that things aren't going well...But I know when things are meant to be it'll happen...So don't hold him back if he wants to leave but make sure you both understand and agree on what's happening with the marriage...No sense in keeping him in something/place where he's not happy...But I do pray things work out whatever you decide...

Greencard (2008):

July 16....AOS mailed;

CITIZENSHIP (2014):

Timeline
He can leave at any time and return to the UK. The problem he is going to have is his overstay, if it has been more than 180 days since his I-94 expired then he is facing a 3 year ban on re-entry to the USA, if he waits until it is 365 days or more then he is facing a 10 year ban.

If he then wanted to return to the US even as a visitor he is going to need a visa he will not be able to use the VWP if you both wanted him to return to live in the US he would need to get a CR1/IR1 or K3, because of any ban incurred he will also need to apply for a wavier or wait out the ban then apply to come back.

Is there no way you can file for his AOS and EAD so that he can at least find some work.

I could file it that's the thing..but he's told me to save the money and not do it. He can't stand the country as it is...and I told him before he even came over here..make sure this is what you want. It will be a year towards the end of February of 2009 that his I-94 would have expired. He wants to return to the UK after the holidays.

I-129F

AOS

........ho hum....

Filed: Other Timeline

Well, his behaviour says all sorts of things that are fairly good indication that he probably never had much intention of sticking it out to begin with IMO. But, I'm not there and its none of my, or anyone's business. But had you sent in the AOS applications after your wedding as you should have, he'd likely have a job by now and would be adjusting better than he is, rather than sittin' on his ####### complaining :P JMHO of course.

That said, some people just plain don't like it here in the US (myself included). If he wants to go back home and you and he feel that your children just wouldn't manage there for whatever reason, then let him go home. If he changes his mind again, then you start all over with the spouse visa for him. Or if you change your mind, he can sponsor you to move to the UK (a lot shorter on processing than the US is, thats for sure!)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

That said, some people just plain don't like it here in the US (myself included).

Over the years I have heard the same from immigrants a fair amount. Some get past the change in scenery, others don't. It seems logical that Brits are close enough culturally speaking that they would have less difficulty adjusting, but that isn't always true. I have cousins in the UK who have been across the pond often, and they are very critical of some parts of American culture. Other europeans are more vocal - no place to walk, we don't socialize as much/normally, we don't eat right, etc.

Sorry for your troubles, and I sincerely hope this is no more than a "failure to adapt". And kudos to you for worrying about the kids comfort.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I'm sorry things are not going so great. :(

I would say he needs to think long and hard about the future. If he leaves right now, he will have big trouble if he EVER wants to return to the US, whether as a visitor or immigrant. The moment he leaves the US, he will incur the 3 or 10-year bar depending on how long he's been out of status, as Cry Tuff mentioned. To waive these bars, his options are limited. If he were seeking tourist entry, he'd need a d3 waiver, and if he were attempting to immigrate (K3 or IR1), he would need a spouse to file an I-601 waiver for him. Those waivers are NOT fun to work on, even with an attorney, and while London tends to approve most of the truly well-prepared I-601, the wait time adds an extra 6-10 months to the immigration process before he can enter the US. Also, the waiver alone costs $545.

So if he leaves, he needs to be sure he'd be willing to spend a LOT of time and money getting back to the US, and also face the possibility that waivers would fail and he'd be banned from the US for the duration of those 3 or 10 years. :(

Edited by guatetaliana

Long story short, we have a complicated case. We've been at this for nearly 5 years. You can read our story here. I highly recommend our attorney Laurel Scott, as well as attorneys Laura Fernandez and Lizz Cannon .

Filed I-130 via CSC in Feb 2008. Petition approved June 2008. Consular interview in Mexico, Oct 2008, visa denied, INA 212a6cii. We allege improper application of the law in this case.

2012, started over in Seoul: I-130 filed DCF on 7/2, I-130 approved 8/8, Medical at Yonsei Severance 11/20, IR1 appointment in November 2012.

CRBA filed 1-3-13 at Seoul for our daughter

4MLHm5.pngCzLqp9.png

You can find me at

Immigrate2us.net as Los G :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm also sorry things aren't going well. My wife and I have yet to plunge into the AOS process (we're still waiting for more paperwork to come in!). I've wondered what i'd do if and when my EAD comes in and there's no work... it's a scary thought. Can you apply for your AOS, and wait for your Adavanced Parole to come back? Statistically, it's a 3 month wait and his/your reason might be justifiable given the economic situation. meaning, perhaps he could escape back home for a couple months and save up some mula and buy some new shoes for you. :)

But as the above said, once he leaves, it will be very very difficult for him to come back. He may even be denied entry if he attempts to visit. An overstay is a large red-flag. It might be worth the wait for the AP or even his GC. GC = 6 months out of the country per year with a free return ticket through customs... His GC could be produced in as little as 3-4 months. You've already waited several months, how hard is a coyuple more?

--------------------

K-1

03-25-2008 - Filed I-129f

03-28-2008 - NOA1

07-31-2008 - NOA2 (no touches)

09-30-2008 - Packet 3 sent

10-10-2008 - Packet 4 received

10-29-2008 - Interview in Vancouver

AOS

12-16-2008 - I - 485 Package arrived in Chicago (signed by V. Bustamonte)

12-19-2008 - Check Cashed

12-19-2008 - NOA1 Date

01-07-2008 - Biometrics Appointment

03-06-2009 - EAD Card Received

03-13-2009 - AP Received

04-27-2009 - Welcome Letter Received

05-02-2009 - GC Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

As you say, just let him fly away. I, for one, believe that's the end of it. Work out some kind of divorce agreement so that you are in no way obligated to provide for him. You have enough on your hands already. Based on personal knowledge, though, your kids would do well in the UK after a time of adjustment to a different culture. It would be an eye-opening experience for them.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, we have not completed the AOS as yet. We were married Feb. 16, 2008. Due to one unforeseen event after another, we have had to put it off. Now my husband is out of status (he is from the U.K.-British). However, he now wants to go back home. We live in Ohio, and it's no big mystery that Ohio's economy and job market sucks at the moment. He is wanting to go back there so he can work. Now, he also can't stand it here. I have two children, from a previous marriage (one who is special needs)...am in college, and working full time....so it's not as if I can just uproot and leave. He's not happy here overall, I also am mature enough to realize it takes two to make a relationship work.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may reply.

/quote]

Your Husband is STUPID!! You dont deserve him. Just let it go, im sure one day youll find someone who will treat u and love u back........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.