Teacher Mark

Ask a Trucker

150 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Your truck....is it your truck? Also, the sleeper compartment - do you have wireless internet? Is it comfy and cozy?

All drivers refer to the truck they are driving as "my truck"! Some own them (owner operators), but most don't. The truck I drive is a company truck. I am not disciplined, or crazy enough to own one!

My internet access is provided by the lovely people at Sprint. I have an aircard that I pay $60.00 a month for. It's worth every penny! How else would I converse with the likes of Kaydee?

The sleeper berth sucks, but it's not really that bad. Every time I start feeling sorry for myself I think of the people I saw in Vietnam last year. Most of them would kill for the life I lead. At the same time I am working on my exit strategy. This lifestyle is hard and I hope I will be able to leave it soon.

Thanks for sharing that. :thumbs: I hope we can meet next time you're over here in my neck of the woods. :yes:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Ooooh, ooooh!!! I have a question!!!!!

What really goes in when you have to pull into those truck weigh stations? Also, some stations let you follow "In-Cab Signals" so you don't have to pull in. What happens there?

(Gosh, I am just so excited to finally learn the answer to this mysterious ritual!!!)

Is it true that many truck stops have glory holes?

Glory hole? :unsure:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
The sleeper berth sucks, but it's not really that bad. Every time I start feeling sorry for myself I think of the people I saw in Vietnam last year. Most of them would kill for the life I lead. At the same time I am working on my exit strategy. This lifestyle is hard and I hope I will be able to leave it soon.

Excellent comment. :thumbs:

Diana

EXACTLY, if people traveled more and while traveling actually paid attention to the natives around them, they would understand that our lives here are easy. They would stop complaining about others (family, friends, neighbors, or even people they don't even know!) and start enjoying life. We are lucky to live in this country, born or not born here.

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Ever driven something like this:

hwscan0001200001.jpg

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Who makes the best trucks?

Nice edit! I was about to post that when I was in the Army, they provided my ruck and there was only one type! :lol:

I prefer Frieghtliners. In the industry they are sometime referred to as "Freight Shakers" because they have a rough ride. The majority of the 3 years I have drove I have had one. They are the leader in the industry. Volvos have a VERY nice sleeper berth though. Amazingly enough they aren't real reliable in the mechanical department though. I'm sure that won't always be the case though. My company bought several of them years ago, but chose Freightliner and Kenworth recently because of the mechanical problems. If we don't make a show it could cost millions.

Filed: Timeline

Excellent comment. :thumbs:

Diana

EXACTLY, if people traveled more and while traveling actually paid attention to the natives around them, they would understand that our lives here are easy. They would stop complaining about others (family, friends, neighbors, or even people they don't even know!) and start enjoying life. We are lucky to live in this country, born or not born here.

True dat!!!

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

All you have to do is look it up online and you'll see for yourself. It's a bit icky for me but... whatever floats your boat.

:lol:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

You ever thought about trucking abroad like in Canada or Australia.

Pay is quite good there and drivers are in demand. Especially if you work near the mines.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
Ever driven something like this:

hwscan0001200001.jpg

NO! As far as working abroad I have considered that. I am hoping that my next job will be in Vietnam teaching English though! My Wife and I have opted to take the visa journey there. After a year living there we will be able to file at the USCIS field office in Saigon. Our thinking is that they can deny as much as they want then, we'll still be together. I'll be leaving at the end of January.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

All you have to do is look it up online and you'll see for yourself. It's a bit icky for me but... whatever floats your boat.

:lol:

Diana

does it involve a donkey? :lol: I have no idea and I'm not planning to do an internet search while @ work

Has the economic situation hit you in any way?

Edited by TävôLuDô

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ever been an iceroad trucker?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

NO! As far as working abroad I have considered that. I am hoping that my next job will be in Vietnam teaching English though! My Wife and I have opted to take the visa journey there. After a year living there we will be able to file at the USCIS field office in Saigon. Our thinking is that they can deny as much as they want then, we'll still be together. I'll be leaving at the end of January.

Move to Australia. Close to Vietnam and we have a huge Vietnamese community. Truckies are good $$$ there as well.

Timeline
What do you usually listen to to pass the time? DO you have any satellite radio.. also do you have any friends on the CB radio?

I have Sirus radio. It is another device that I can't imagine life without! Most trucking jobs have the driver running alone, so you don't see anyone that you would know. Mine is rare in the fact that we usually travel in groups of 3 or more, so we do talk on the CB. The conversations between other drivers can get hilarious though. Usually they are the heated type (Radio Rambos). I have heard (and read) about drivers getting into arguments that ended in tragedy though. I heard that this senseless death started on the CB:

http://www.wvec.com/news/topstories/storie...g.23db246f.html