Ask a Trucker

150 posts in this topic

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

America's distribution system is truly unparalleled. You have practically anything you want at your disposal, if you have the cash. Those guys and gals are an integral part of the system. The majority are excellent drivers and decent human beings. Try to give 'em a break!

I had major problems finding a black pair of shoelaces in Ho Chi Minh City. It was one of the few times that I have missed America.

Timeline
And what qualifications are required to teach English...over there?

A BA and any ESL degree will do. There's a language school on every corner in HCMC. Many of them will require far less for a native speaker.

Timeline
And what qualifications are required to teach English...over there?

A BA and any ESL degree will do. There's a language school on every corner in HCMC. Many of them will require far less for a native speaker.

I forgot to mention that you also need the ability to walk into a room of students, see a portrait of Jimmy Carter hanging on the wall and not launch into a tirade against the Democratic Party! I was thinking of a few of you that day. I managed to keep it cool when I walked into the next class and saw Baby Bush on the wall. :thumbs:

• 6 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I just got a new truck and it is governed at 95. I wouldn't dare go that fast, but there are portions of the west that the speed limit is 80. I love the Northwest. I-90 through Montana and Idaho. I-84 through Oregon is spectacular too.

well hi,thanks to u guys at visa journey, i got my cr1.

now for the help

facts: 1 I am a tractor (rig operator)/owner

2 i wish to import my truck that is freighliner columbia, cl 120.

3 i have canadian commercial plates,for ontario, cvor,and insurance which allow me to work in on.

4 i do not have usdot number

5 i am not ifta sticker holder( or I am not the prog for fuel equalization tax since i operate in ontario only)

6 i don't have prp plates( special plates for cross border trucking)

NOW the questions

1 do i need usdot to cross the border?

2 do i need authorities(papers) to register with all the different states?

3 do i enroll in fuel tax equalization program (Ifta) and get the stickers for my truck

4 do i buy trip permits for all the states i am passing through. ie from ontario to texas- via detriot, (MI),OH,IN,IL,missouri,AR.TX

5 do i need to send the ace manifest for before going to the port of entry,as is the commericial practice.

Or this might be the answer

i enter as private carrier , not for hire, while pulling my car on the u-haul trailer.

i wants to thank everyone , who replys, and wish u all good luck, take care,

• 8 months later...

I've often wondered..... When there is a traffic jam do the truckers send out warnings and/or tell each other of an alternate route?

Yes we do, miles ahead of the scene :thumbs: also give the location and direction of the SPEED COPS :yes::lol:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

What's the worst collision you have ever seen?

What was the nicest car you ever seen while driving?

What state do you hate driving through the most?

Back to the collision one. I have a little story about the worst I've seen.

Driving up to northern California through the grapevine. Traffic on the grapevine at 3 am isn't good. When we passed by the accident scene. There was a semi on the far right and a cargo van behind it. The cargo van's bumper was touching the rear tires of the semi with the top part of the van peeled back like a sardine can. It was a very ugly site. I think it might have been a " Thought the emergency lane was the slow lane and it became a rear end at 89-90 mph collision".

Timeline

I've often wondered..... When there is a traffic jam do the truckers send out warnings and/or tell each other of an alternate route?

I've heard stories of cops answering truckers who ask for a "Bear report". They'll say something like "It's all clear to mile marker 22 driver." The trucker takes off and gets busted by the cop for speeding!

Thanks for resurrecting this post Krikit. I need to be reminded of where I came from on occasion. :thumbs:

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Timeline

What's the worst collision you have ever seen?

What was the nicest car you ever seen while driving?

What state do you hate driving through the most?

Back to the collision one. I have a little story about the worst I've seen.

Driving up to northern California through the grapevine. Traffic on the grapevine at 3 am isn't good. When we passed by the accident scene. There was a semi on the far right and a cargo van behind it. The cargo van's bumper was touching the rear tires of the semi with the top part of the van peeled back like a sardine can. It was a very ugly site. I think it might have been a " Thought the emergency lane was the slow lane and it became a rear end at 89-90 mph collision".

What's the worst collision you have ever seen? I mentioned the cop who got hit by a tire in post #122 on page 9. I did see a van that was obliterated in Nebraska once also.

The Grapevine is a dangerous pass.

What was the nicest car you ever seen while driving? Any time I see a 64 1/2 - 73 Mustang is the time. I saw one here in Saigon a few months ago, which is obviously a rare sighting.

What state do you hate driving through the most? Anywhere in the Northeast was the place I hated driving, with the exception of Cleveland, Ohio (my dad lives there). Before I came over here I drove up to Sante Fe on NM 285. That was a pretty nice ride, with a beautiful sunset.

worst collision was a double decapitation, two people with no head! their heads were in the floor of the pickup... :wow:

nicest car, that is a hard one, :blink::blink:

louisana has the roughest roads!!! :hehe: