Y's_habibitk

Montesorri vs Traditional School

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I'm exploring school choices for my son next year (kindergarten). His preschool teacher thinks he will do much better in a Montesorri environment. I just started looking at the school today and I'm planning a tour after the holidays.

I'd like to hear some experiences that you guys may have..good or bad. I figured I had a huge audience here to poll lol

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I personally attended a Montessori Pre-K program. Turned out OK I think. Not to brag, but I was placed in gifted programs in middle school and took mainly honors classes. Oh... and my wife's first job in the US was teaching at a language-immersion Montessori Pre-K. From what I remember, the kids' learning was accelerated and were able to place in 'higher tracks' upon starting regular school. What that means for Kindergarten is still in the air... but I think the investment is worth it if you are committed to being a consistent positive force for your child in the future- after being in Montessori.

The method itself is most effective for younger children- as it builds character and intelligence simultaneously.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I personally attended a Montessori Pre-K program. Turned out OK I think. Not to brag, but I was placed in gifted programs in middle school and took mainly honors classes. Oh... and my wife's first job in the US was teaching at a language-immersion Montessori Pre-K. From what I remember, the kids' learning was accelerated and were able to place in 'higher tracks' upon starting regular school. What that means for Kindergarten is still in the air... but I think the investment is worth it if you are committed to being a consistent positive force for your child in the future- after being in Montessori.

The method itself is most effective for younger children- as it builds character and intelligence simultaneously.

That's awesome. My brother has had his two boys in Montessori schools and swears by them. I want to get my 7 yr. old into one or a parochial school....the local elementary doesn't challenge him.

Timeline

Thanks guys!

Thats pretty much what his preschool teacher has said... he wont be challenged enough in tradtional and since he is so hungry for knowledge and "gifted", she thinks he will benefit.

Thanks HAL, for sharing :)

Lisa

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My sister attended Montessori from 2 yrs old through fifth grade and she really excelled in the program. She was able to skip a grade due to the combining of grade levels in one classroom.

Personally, I think some of their methods are a little foofoo sheeshee, but I don't know anything about early childhood education!

My impression is that it is great for kids who are able to work independently.

I have friends working at a very special school in Surrey, BC

See here:

http://www.rootsandwingsbc.com/

They have their school on a "farm", with farm animals and they grow stuff too.

Very cool.

I have attended some events there and have participated in outings with the older kids.

They are indeed interesting and interested in much.

I love the school's approach and feel that that is the best way if you have to send your child off somewhere.

If I had had children I would have home schooled them and sent them to things like this:

http://whs.at.org/

http://whs.at.org/about

I have a young friend that attended (she is 20 now! wow), and I went with her a few times (back when she was 12-16) to check things out.

A refreshing approach to education.

I wonder if there is anything comparable in the U.S.?

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

How much would it be for tuition? Is it pretty expensive? My niece is currently going to an excellent pre-school but my sister is looking at all kinds of different options once she gets to kindergarten.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
How much would it be for tuition? Is it pretty expensive? My niece is currently going to an excellent pre-school but my sister is looking at all kinds of different options once she gets to kindergarten.

Diana

Its a public school! k-5 Isnt that a plus? :) But, he must be accepted.

Here in KY they have "magnet" schools and this is one offered.

I actually looked at preschool montesorri, but it was astromically priced here.

Edited by Y_habibitk

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I actually looked at preschool montesorri, but it was astromonically priced here.

Oh wow, that's wonderful!!! That's why I was asking because when we took the tour and found out about the prices for pre-school I almost passed out right there and then. :lol:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

I actually looked at preschool montesorri, but it was astromonically priced here.

Oh wow, that's wonderful!!! That's why I was asking because when we took the tour and found out about the prices for pre-school I almost passed out right there and then. :lol:

Diana

lol Yep, I was shocked at the prices!

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Diana

Same here! It was almost as expensive as college tuition!!! I would definitely go for it if it's free!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

To be honest, what the Montessori my wife worked at- when compared hour for hour with many high-end daycare facilities... was actually not that different. Difference is that at one you get something that stimulates mental development.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I worked at a Montessori pre-k through 12th grade school. I worked with the preschoolers, though I mostly did the second half of the day for the kids who didn't get picked up at 12, so it wasn't the learning part that happened in the early part of the day. My view of it is that the preschoolers learned a lot more than I thought they would at such a young age, and it definitely prepared them for kindergarten and upward. I was surprised at how much was expected of preschoolers, but I guess that could be a good thing. (I'm pretty sure it was expensive, not that I was paid that great :P)

I wasn't really into the whole thing completely. I could have gotten a Montessori teacher certificate that they would pay for if I committed to working at least two years afterward. But I just worked there one year and didn't want to commit. The school owners weren't fully hippies, just partially. :P I am guessing Montessori schools vary greatly depending on who runs it. If I had the money and was going to live in the area when Kavi was older, I might want him to go there because it was a very safe and good environment and the people who run it were conservative. It was very culturally diverse too, because that's where the rich local doctors sent their kids. One of the only private schools in our area that isn't a Christian or Catholic school, so there were kids of all different faiths and ethnicities. It was cool, but small.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Just wanted to add...

The kinds of things the preschoolers did at the one I worked at were...

The room was set up in sections of shelves making little "work" areas. Each area was a type of learning. Science or biology, reading, counting, matching, etc. Each shelf would hold a few items separated on trays or plate type things. The children had to complete a certain number of things. They would go pick something to "work" with, and take it to a table and sit down. Before trying anything new, the teacher would demonstrate silently how to do whatever it was, and then would have kids come practice it a few times for all to see, before it was put on the shelf. So anyway, the teacher would check to see if they did it right, and if they did they could put it back and get a new thing. This went on for awhile before snack time and other learning time. There was also "circle time" where the kids would sing songs and stuff. I am probably forgetting some stuff. And I don't know if this is how it is at all Montessori schools.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Timeline
Just wanted to add...

The kinds of things the preschoolers did at the one I worked at were...

The room was set up in sections of shelves making little "work" areas. Each area was a type of learning. Science or biology, reading, counting, matching, etc. Each shelf would hold a few items separated on trays or plate type things. The children had to complete a certain number of things. They would go pick something to "work" with, and take it to a table and sit down. Before trying anything new, the teacher would demonstrate silently how to do whatever it was, and then would have kids come practice it a few times for all to see, before it was put on the shelf. So anyway, the teacher would check to see if they did it right, and if they did they could put it back and get a new thing. This went on for awhile before snack time and other learning time. There was also "circle time" where the kids would sing songs and stuff. I am probably forgetting some stuff. And I don't know if this is how it is at all Montessori schools.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

The school we are looking at is a public school so the hippiness should be at a minimum :P

I'll be taking the tour in early Jan.

And thanks for the links, spirit :)

Edited by Y_habibitk

Thanks!