~Laura and Nick~

Ridiculous!!!!!!

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Laura, I understand. I really do.

It took the Canadian government three months after landing for them to get me my PR card. That includes the time they lost it, as well. Oh and did I mention they screwed up my name on my landing documents, so the Canadian government refuses to change it, despite mass amounts of evidence showing it's their fault.

So yes, I understand your predicament. It happens on both sides of the border.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww I'm sorry Laura you're having such a rough time! I read your experience and talked to my BIL who works for USPS and he says government mail can't be delivered to an address where the recipient hasn't notified the US postal system, either by going in person to the local office, or having a taped note to the outside and inside of the mailbox telling the postal worker that this person is now residing at that address.

I do remember lots of times of reading about this, not just for SSN, but also about AOS.

You came to the right place to vent!

Hope you and Nick are doing okay. I haven't seen you post in a while and wondered how you were doing.

Big Hugs!

carlahmsb4.gif

Do you have a post office box? Or do you live in an apartment where someone from the apartment complex distributes the mail to the individual boxes?

In any case, that is very frustrating, and I'm glad that you at least got it fixed even if it took a while.

We live in an apartment and someone delivers the mail to specific boxes. Nick's name is inside our box but I get mail here all the time. It may just have been that the mailman looked and saw Nick's name in the box and my name on the envelope and decided to return it.

Who knows.

Whatever...it's over now and at least I have my number.

I'm sorry to hear what happened Laura :( At least you have your number now. The card itself isn't a big deal until you start working, so to be added to Nick's insurance that should be enough.

And I am not trying to be mean or nothing, but we stressed many MANY times about the importance of adding BOTH names in the mail box. Many people have had their USCIS mail returned, and me it was with the EI cards. They were getting returned until we told the mailman to add my name in the mailbox and I hyphenated my married name with the EI office... Like you said, it's possible that it was a different person that attempted to deliver your SSN card on that day, since the other woman knew about you. Some mailman are very strict with that, they won't deliver any mail that doesn't belong there.... Now yes I wonder how in the world do we get mail from previous tenants....that's a mystery :wacko:

Now anyways, take it easy hon. I hope your done fuming :P Hugs (F)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Ive got one for you.

My now husband came here Oct 17th. We waiting 2 weeks and went to he SS office on the 31st to apply for his SSN.

The SS office told us that they wouldnt be able to issue him a SS card because his name was spelled incorect in the system. Ok - so I sat there for a minute, puzzled as to how his name could be spelled incorect with all the papers / I94 etc had his name on it. Well come to find out it was misspelled by them not adding a space in between his last name. - his last name is el Kadery. They had it spelled Elkadery. So now its Dec 2nd and we have been back to the SS office two more times and no one has been bright enough to put a space between the el and the rest of the name.

Oh what fun - fun - fun....

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Thanks guys. :blush:

It sucks we all have our own stories of being held up and frustrated....sigh.

At least we are in it together!!!! =)

As per the advice given here...Nick is getting my name added to the box.

Ive got one for you.

My now husband came here Oct 17th. We waiting 2 weeks and went to he SS office on the 31st to apply for his SSN.

The SS office told us that they wouldnt be able to issue him a SS card because his name was spelled incorect in the system. Ok - so I sat there for a minute, puzzled as to how his name could be spelled incorect with all the papers / I94 etc had his name on it. Well come to find out it was misspelled by them not adding a space in between his last name. - his last name is el Kadery. They had it spelled Elkadery. So now its Dec 2nd and we have been back to the SS office two more times and no one has been bright enough to put a space between the el and the rest of the name.

I'm sorry! What a crappy situation all because a human error. :(

I hope they resolve it quickly for you!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hi Laura, long time g/f! :)

I'm sorry you had such issues. :(

We also put Russell's name (now our last name) on the mailbox in case of any confusion because he was living here most of 2007.

I think the SSA worker also recommended it to us when we went to apply. At least it's sorted for you now. I hope everything else is well with you.

timeline.jpg

Hi Laura, long time g/f! :)

I'm sorry you had such issues. :(

We also put Russell's name (now our last name) on the mailbox in case of any confusion because he was living here most of 2007.

I think the SSA worker also recommended it to us when we went to apply. At least it's sorted for you now. I hope everything else is well with you.

Hey sweets! :)

Wasn't that nice of the SSA worker!!!!! Wish mine had...I never even thought of it.... :unsure:

Oh well!

Are you ready for the holidays? :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Laura.........the people at the social security office have the same mentality as csc.......i have been a citizen of the USA for a very long time........i took my passport in to show it cuz my social security number keeps coming up as resident alien........even for school loans i have to send in copy of my passport to show proof of my citizenship........guess what it was not good enough........they wanted the naturalization certificate.....because of how my citizenship came to me i dont need it and it would be a waste of money........so my social security number will remain resident alien until someone at the social security office gets a clue.......oh and by the way....the IRS wrote a nice letter informing my parents the year that i became a citizen that they could not file me as resident alien anymore because i was a citizen of the usa :blink: if the IRS gets it why dont the social security office

Timeline
Thanks guys. :blush:

It sucks we all have our own stories of being held up and frustrated....sigh.

At least we are in it together!!!! =)

As per the advice given here...Nick is getting my name added to the box.

Ive got one for you.

I'm sorry! What a crappy situation all because a human error. :(

I hope they resolve it quickly for you!

We have an info pass appointment on Friday to see if we can get things cleared up.

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Yes, our SS office was quite familiar with the process and we didn't need to explain anything. I remember thinking what a relief! I guess they're not all created equally.

Not even close to being ready for Christmas. We've been married for a month and a half now and we're still procrastinating about AOS. :whistle: We're just enjoying being together again. Someday soon I suppose i'll have to let him put that masters degree back to work. :lol:

After all that waiting... life is now just flying by! But all is well.

timeline.jpg

Timeline
Yes, our SS office was quite familiar with the process and we didn't need to explain anything. I remember thinking what a relief! I guess they're not all created equally.

Not even close to being ready for Christmas. We've been married for a month and a half now and we're still procrastinating about AOS. :whistle: We're just enjoying being together again. Someday soon I suppose i'll have to let him put that masters degree back to work. :lol:

After all that waiting... life is now just flying by! But all is well.

I cant get motivated for AOS either. Its hard to do with them here..

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Laura! That really sucks. The mail system down here must be weird or something because I had that problem too. It wasn't until I put my name on the little paper inside our mailbox that I got any mail addressed in my name. Everything else was returned! How ridiculous. Luckily we figured it out early on. Well, at least you know what happened and hopefully everything will go smoothly now. You're going to get your EAD and AP any day now, so no worries!

Big hugs to you!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Didn't read through every post here, but I am sorry for their stupidity :(

You may be able to find a post from me back in December or so(not that it matters now) - when I went to apply at the SSN office, the lady specifically told me that I needed to ensure that I was registered at the post office to receive mail at the address I was giving them - I said well of course I receive mail and she clarified that if it's something government related I needed to register myself as an receivee (is that a word???) at that address.

$7 bucks or so at the PO, a short form to fill out.

Cheers

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Do you have a post office box? Or do you live in an apartment where someone from the apartment complex distributes the mail to the individual boxes?

In any case, that is very frustrating, and I'm glad that you at least got it fixed even if it took a while.

We live in an apartment and someone delivers the mail to specific boxes. Nick's name is inside our box but I get mail here all the time. It may just have been that the mailman looked and saw Nick's name in the box and my name on the envelope and decided to return it.

Who knows.

Whatever...it's over now and at least I have my number.

I was wondering where you have been....not that I'm in this forum too often these days...

Hello Laura! (waves hi)

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration.

Sounds pretty suspect to me too.

When I first moved here we lived in my sweetie's house.

There were no names on the mailbox.

I got my mail there no problem, including all of my (destroyed) boxes I had mailed myself with my stuff.

Since we rented a place in town, I put a sticker on the mailbox with his full name and my full name just to be sure mail arrives and is left here.

It is a big "house" with three apartments, each on a separate level, each with its own door and mailbox; and we are on the ground.

Maybe this will help others that might be in the same predicament.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.