~Laura and Nick~

Ridiculous!!!!!!

36 posts in this topic

So hi... :angry:

I moved here in July.

I applied for my SSN on August 14th.

Today is now December 2nd and I still had not received my card.

Now you are probably wondering why I waited to long to go in and say..."Hey, what's up?" I only waited because others had said it took them blah blah blah amount of weeks...so I waited like a stupid idiot.

So I went on in today to see what the heck was going on....

Well, they issued me a number and they even mailed out the card on the 18th of AUGUST!

So, why didn't I get it???? Because our address is under Nick's name and not mine.........

We should have had a c/o under my name and address on the application.......

WHAT?!?

THANKS FOR TELLING ME! :blink:

You'd think that these people who work at the SSN office would see...."Oh hey, this girl is applying for a SSN under a K1 visa...That means she has to be married!!! OH! maybe I should ask if her address is under her husbands name, or if there is a c/o that should be on here"....??? YA THINK?!?

BUT NO!

So I've been sitting here for the past 3 months with a SSN that I didn't even know I had.

Now since my I-94 is expired, I have to wait till I get my EAD to go in and apply for a new card. That's fine since I would have had to anyway in my married name...but still. I could have been under Nick's health care...I could have....sigh....done so much more right now.

The lady gave me my number so at least I have it now......Just a warning to those in the future...

Make sure that you give a c/o if your name isn't on the address or they won't deliver it.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I don't understand about the address being under Nick's name and not yours and needing the c/o.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You asked for advice on wait times, we gave it to you. It took me 13 weeks, and Nevada about the same. So we wanted to put your mind at ease when you said you had not recieved it yet.

I'm not going to apologize for the advice, and you aren't a stupid idiot either. All you can do is go forward. Little things like this happen all the time, especially in this state. You aren't getting the most competent staff. Unless you've had to pay outrageous medical bills because you weren't on Nick's insurance, I wouldn't worry about what could have been.

You can't go back so just go forward. Now you have your number so if you want to start looking for a job or apply, you can! Life is full of this stuff. Think positively!

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I don't understand about the address being under Nick's name and not yours and needing the c/o.

I don't either. I did not change my last name so we have different last names and the house is still in my name only and he's never had any problems receiving mail addressed to him here. Not only that, I still get plenty of mail addressed to the folks I bought the house from nearly 5 years ago! The post office does not know or care whose house it is. Do you have a post office box? Or do you live in an apartment where someone from the apartment complex distributes the mail to the individual boxes?

In any case, that is very frustrating, and I'm glad that you at least got it fixed even if it took a while.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

I don't either....

You don't go to the post office and say "So, this person lives here and this person and this person...."

Registered mail is registered mail. If it can't be delivered they leave a card and you go and pick it up with some ID.

It makes zero sense.

They are this secure on delivery but yet 1000's of employees have access to my number in their computers along with my address?

Hmmmm....

You asked for advice on wait times, we gave it to you. It took me 13 weeks, and Nevada about the same. So we wanted to put your mind at ease when you said you had not recieved it yet.

I'm not going to apologize for the advice, and you aren't a stupid idiot either. All you can do is go forward. Little things like this happen all the time, especially in this state. You aren't getting the most competent staff. Unless you've had to pay outrageous medical bills because you weren't on Nick's insurance, I wouldn't worry about what could have been.

You can't go back so just go forward. Now you have your number so if you want to start looking for a job or apply, you can! Life is full of this stuff. Think positively!

Hon...I'm not asking for an apology at all and it's not your fault!!!

I just wish I had listened to my own instincts and gone in and checked...that's all. Nothing against you guys for trying to help me out at all.

I am thankful for all your advice.

=) Things will be okay.

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Do you have a post office box? Or do you live in an apartment where someone from the apartment complex distributes the mail to the individual boxes?

In any case, that is very frustrating, and I'm glad that you at least got it fixed even if it took a while.

We live in an apartment and someone delivers the mail to specific boxes. Nick's name is inside our box but I get mail here all the time. It may just have been that the mailman looked and saw Nick's name in the box and my name on the envelope and decided to return it.

Who knows.

Whatever...it's over now and at least I have my number.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Oh, maybe they left off the apartment number when they sent the first one! If that happened, the postman might not be able to figure out which box to put it in without seeing your name on it.

Like you said, the problem is solved so it doesn't matter. I was just curious because I'd never heard of an address being in one name or another, that's all.

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

Oh, maybe they left off the apartment number when they sent the first one! If that happened, the postman might not be able to figure out which box to put it in without seeing your name on it.

Like you said, the problem is solved so it doesn't matter. I was just curious because I'd never heard of an address being in one name or another, that's all.

I thought that too but the way our addresses work is that we are 58 blah blah Court..that's also our apartment number, 58.

My neighbors address is 59 blah blah Court, and the next neighbour 60 blah blah Court...and so on and so on. Each of us has our specific addresses and the number is actually the apartment number so there's no confusing which apartment the mail goes to.

I've never heard of mail coming to a specific name either.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Heh--my friend's address works like that, too. It is 122 Blah Blah Blah Court SE # A122, or some such thing (literally, a three-word name). Plus she and her husband have different last names and they live in Washington State in a city with a long-ish name too, so addressing her wedding invitation in calligraphy was a b*tch and a half. Not as bad as the one to my cousin who lives on Rennaissance Drive in a house with a 5-digit addrss, though.

Well yours is probably just 59 Blah Blah Court, which makes sense, though.

K1

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

Removing Conditions

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

IT still sucks, especially if the address was correct in the first place. Although when I think about it, I don't think they would have delivered mine to my apartment either with my husband's address on it because of how secretive the SSN is supposed to be.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

I noticed that my name has been written inside our mailbox cause I kept my name. Now whether Larry or the postman did this, I'm not too sure. There was no problem when my SSN was delivered. Then again, all states are different.

Sorry about the mess up Laura.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Laura,

I can tell you the exact same thing happened to my mail - because its my husband whose name is associated with this house. None of my mail addressed to me came to this address for 6 weeks. Finally a job I had applied for called to say, we sent you a letter - it got returned do we have the right address?

I went to the postmaster and told him all the mail missing (my SSN, cheques, possibly GC) and he said he'd look into it. It seems that our mail lady didn't recognize my name when delivering the mail so she decided to return it all when it was coming in. :wacko:

I finally went to the SSA and got my number mailed but that hasn't arrived yet either so I went back to the office to get a new card issued. Hopefully that one will be here in another week. But like you she gave me a number that I can use until the actual card comes.

Sorry girl - this process can be so frustrating at times. (F)

Laura,

I can tell you the exact same thing happened to my mail - because its my husband whose name is associated with this house. None of my mail addressed to me came to this address for 6 weeks. Finally a job I had applied for called to say, we sent you a letter - it got returned do we have the right address?

I went to the postmaster and told him all the mail missing (my SSN, cheques, possibly GC) and he said he'd look into it. It seems that our mail lady didn't recognize my name when delivering the mail so she decided to return it all when it was coming in. :wacko:

I finally went to the SSA and got my number mailed but that hasn't arrived yet either so I went back to the office to get a new card issued. Hopefully that one will be here in another week. But like you she gave me a number that I can use until the actual card comes.

Sorry girl - this process can be so frustrating at times. (F)

You know that really sucks. :(

Nick and I have been living here for almost 6 months and we still get mail for three previous tenants of this apartment...and yet I've had dozens of things delivered here in my name..and I've spoken to the mail lady personally and she had lived in Ontario too!!!

She knows I immigrated here, she knows my name....perhaps the day my SSN was delivered it was a different person.

Oh well.

I noticed that my name has been written inside our mailbox cause I kept my name. Now whether Larry or the postman did this, I'm not too sure. There was no problem when my SSN was delivered. Then again, all states are different.

Sorry about the mess up Laura.

Thanks sweetie <3 It's all good now, just had to rant a bit and tell others to watch out for this.

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a thought - Can you add your name to the mailbox?

My sister just changed her mailbox to say ""XXX-YYY" instead of just "YYY" and it worked.

Glad you finally got your number! I can't believe you've already been there for 6 months! Time flies!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.