Dn35

DCF Just Married

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi im a us citizen and my wife is canadian. we just got married on oct 22, 2008 in california. she is currently living with me illegaly. we were going to apply for k3 but think going thru DCF would be much faster.

when filing for DCF (i-30 and g-325) does she have to go to the canadian consulate in vancouver or montreal or can we do it here in the states?

does she have to be living with me for 6 months to apply for the DCF or can she go to the canadian consulate anytime?

if going thru DCF in canada can she file it without me being there?

thanks for any help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

How is she staying here illegally? How long has she overstayed? Based on the few details in your post DCF is not an option for you. This option must be done in a foreign country, in your case Canada. If her overstay is such that she would be banned from the US, its extremely important that she does not leave the country. Also, to do DCF both of you must be residing in the foreign country for a certain period of time as determined at each consulate. But you live in Cali, so again DCF is not an option for you. Most likely you will just file for AOS.

I think you are confused.

DCF is an option for a US citizen living as a resident in a foreign country more than 6 months.

When a non-USC spouse is already in the US, they need to do AOS(ajustment of status) with USCIS,

but I am not sure if you can do it when she doesn't have a legal status.

Let's see what others say.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Like the others said, DCF is not an option for you. Neither is K3 if I'm not mistaken, unless your wife goes back to Canada, which like the others said, might not be a good idea since she has overstayed. Read up on AOS, because that may be your best bet. Good luck to you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
hi im a us citizen and my wife is canadian. we just got married on oct 22, 2008 in california. she is currently living with me illegaly. we were going to apply for k3 but think going thru DCF would be much faster.

when filing for DCF (i-30 and g-325) does she have to go to the canadian consulate in vancouver or montreal or can we do it here in the states?

does she have to be living with me for 6 months to apply for the DCF or can she go to the canadian consulate anytime?

if going thru DCF in canada can she file it without me being there?

thanks for any help.

Hi and welcome to VJ!

You haven't given us enough information - but a few things to consider:

- You should read the guides for the CR1 visa and Adjustment of Status.

- You cannot Direct Consular File (ie she cannot file in Vancouver). In order to do this you would both need to be living in Canada and you would have to have legal status here as well as having legal status for a minimum of 6 months after filing.

- You may or may not be eligible to file for an Adjustment of Status for your wife. Did she intend to immigrate to the U.S. when she entered the country? If so they may frown on this as you are not allowed to misrepresent the reason you are entering. For example, if she crossed the border in to the U.S. and said she was just going to visit when she was really entering to marry you and live in the U.S. - she will not be eligible to adjust status.

Why do you say she is in the U.S. illegally? How long has she been there? Has she overstayed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I assume that coming from Canada she was inspected at the border...

As others have said... dependent on facts and circumstances, status adjustment from inside the USA might be an available option....

YMMV

You have three options (and DCF is not one of them):

If your wife entered the US with no intention of immigrating (ie: just for a visit, or as a student or something), then you are eligible to file for AOS directly from the US. You file I-130 and I-485 concurrently. There is a guide for that here. She must not leave the US until that process is complete. The process is faster but you must absolutely be able to show that she had intent to return to Canada when she last entered the US.

If she came to the US specifically to marry you and then immigrate, then she needs to go home and apply for either K3 or Cr-1/Ir-1 (I am not as familiar with this process, but there are pluses and minuses to both. Research them!) Her overstay, if any, will typically be forgiven/overlooked due to her marriage and subsequent pursuing of legal immigration steps

Bt you have not told us the basis of your wife's illegal status. Is she in overstay? Is she working?? She is perfectly allowed to be down in the US as a visitor, even if she married you! She just cannot stay beyond 6 months out of the year without leaving or filing for AOS if eligible.

Concurrent I-130 and AOS

Nov 30 2007 - I enter US as a tourist to spend the ski season with my sweetie and figure out what we both want outta life - we plan on ending up in Canada, but...

Jan 30 2008 - We get married in Vegas! We decide to stay in the US.

Feb 08 2008 - File I-130, I-485, AP and EAD

Feb 11 2008 - Package arrives in Chicago

Feb 19 2008 - Receive NOA 1 for everything except I-485. NOA date Feb 15th

Feb 19 2008 - Touch I-130, AP, EAD

Feb 21 2008 - Receive I-485 NOA 1. NOA Date Feb 15th

Feb 22 2008 - Receive Biometrics notice, dated Feb 20th, for appointment March 11th

Feb 27 2008 - Walk in to Denver field office and have Biometrics taken early as the 11th March I'll be away

Apr 16 2008 - EAD card production ordered

Apr 16 2008 - AP approval sent

Apr 21 2008 - AP received in mail

Apr 21 2008 - EAD card production email received again - strange

Apr 24 2008 - EAD card approval notice sent email

Apr 26 2008 - EAD card received

May 03 2008 - Interview notice received -June 27th

May 22 2008 - Touch on I-485

June 09 2008 - I-130 finally shows up online and shows a touch that day, so does I-485

Jun 27 2008 - Interview - approved, stamped, received card production email. Ya-hoo!!!!

July 10 2008 - Card received

Total time from filing - approval: 4.5 months

MOVED TO SAN DIEGO!!

Lifting of Conditions

June 11 2010 - Package mailed

June 16 2010 - NOA date

July 2 2010 - Bio letter received - July 27th date

July 9 2010 - Early biometrics walk in San Marcos CA

Sept 16 2010 - Card production ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

How long has she been living with you illegally? When did she arrive in the US?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.