trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

On 1/23/2021 at 9:39 PM, KStene22 said:

This is what we are going with:

Rent to own agreement for the next 16 months for the family ranch in Montana,

Pics of the fully functioning shop on said property from which my husband can work

(Working on written communication with local contractors offering work... lots of verbal approval but obviously we need something in writing)

bank statements

proof of po box

Letter of intent to homeschool our oldest

prepped passport applications for our kids

All we can do is try!  This is the best we can do for now without separating.  If they want more, my husband can move back and start working in a heartbeat.  

Hey! 

I sent you a PM! Please check! Would love to have a convo with you about it. 

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to all of you that were already approved. 

I have posted quite a bit about this same scenario I'm in. So good to know that you are not alone. 

In some of the previous responses I received, I was told I would need to more than likely provide a join financial sponsor. For those of you that were approved, it did not seem like you had to do that. 

For the beneficiaries whose spouses lived with them in Canada, what did you put on the i864? My spouse was living in the US at the very beginning of the application, but came to Canada one month later, they have really only lived in Canada for a year so far. So, we had submitted their US income on the i864 at the time of the application. They are currently in Canada on a PR but have no desire to stay here upon approval of my LPR. It is actually more than likely that they will give up their Canadian PR (I put work permit in previous posts).

For those of you that were approved, did you find providing a lease to be best way you got approved? Even if you did not provide US income? 

Thanks so much! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

@KStene22 Thanks for coming back to relate your experience. And congrats on approval. I'm sure the CO was happy that you had come prepared but it sounded like that she was not going to try to make your life difficult.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

8 hours ago, corrheag said:

Hi everyone, 

Congrats to all of you that were already approved. 

I have posted quite a bit about this same scenario I'm in. So good to know that you are not alone. 

In some of the previous responses I received, I was told I would need to more than likely provide a join financial sponsor. For those of you that were approved, it did not seem like you had to do that. 

For the beneficiaries whose spouses lived with them in Canada, what did you put on the i864? My spouse was living in the US at the very beginning of the application, but came to Canada one month later, they have really only lived in Canada for a year so far. So, we had submitted their US income on the i864 at the time of the application. They are currently in Canada on a PR but have no desire to stay here upon approval of my LPR. It is actually more than likely that they will give up their Canadian PR (I put work permit in previous posts).

For those of you that were approved, did you find providing a lease to be best way you got approved? Even if you did not provide US income? 

Thanks so much! 

Is your husband working for a US company and will that job continue when you move back to the US?

If so, you won't need a joint sponsor. If not, then you will to do one of three things:

1) He moves back and gets a job and a lease and is your sponsor

2) He stays until you move together and you get a joint sponsor in the US

3) He stays until you move together and you qualify based on your combined financial assets

For what you need to do to be approved, the story above is all you need to read. Get a lease in the US and have your financial plan in place and you will be fine.

9 hours ago, canadavisa22 said:

Is your husband working for a US company and will that job continue when you move back to the US?

If so, you won't need a joint sponsor. If not, then you will to do one of three things:

1) He moves back and gets a job and a lease and is your sponsor

2) He stays until you move together and you get a joint sponsor in the US

3) He stays until you move together and you qualify based on your combined financial assets

For what you need to do to be approved, the story above is all you need to read. Get a lease in the US and have your financial plan in place and you will be fine.

OK. I understand. Thanks. I just notice however, that the person who was approved in the previous post stated that she submitted emails communication looking for jobs when her husband gets to the US. Her husband did not have an actual job. She did not mention anything about submitting a financial sponsor. My spouse does work for a US organization but it does not meet the specific guidelines based on USCIS, they just work for a global company. 

8 hours ago, corrheag said:

OK. I understand. Thanks. I just notice however, that the person who was approved in the previous post stated that she submitted emails communication looking for jobs when her husband gets to the US. Her husband did not have an actual job. She did not mention anything about submitting a financial sponsor. My spouse does work for a US organization but it does not meet the specific guidelines based on USCIS, they just work for a global company. 

You can add in any supporting information that you feel will help your application. But ultimately, people have been approved with no job and just a lease in the US, so you don't have to replicate exactly what they do. They just want to know that you have a place to live in the US and have the financial ability to not become a burden on society.

If your husband's job will continue when he moves back to the US, then show proof of that. Then you will have both a job and lease in place as proof of his intent to re-domicile.

11 minutes ago, canadavisa22 said:

You can add in any supporting information that you feel will help your application. But ultimately, people have been approved with no job and just a lease in the US, so you don't have to replicate exactly what they do. They just want to know that you have a place to live in the US and have the financial ability to not become a burden on society.

If your husband's job will continue when he moves back to the US, then show proof of that. Then you will have both a job and lease in place as proof of his intent to re-domicile.

OK. Thanks. It does not hurt to have as much information as possible on hand, including a financial sponsor. 

Much appreciated. 

Timeline
On 2/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, corrheag said:

We did have a joint sponsor.  My husband's income is in CAD and will not continue after the move, so his income on the AOS was 0$.

Timeline
17 hours ago, corrheag said:

I will just clarify, the emails we provided showed my husband was making business connections, not looking for a job offer.  He will be running his own business in the US, and had several companies eager to sub-contract work to him.  The interviewer was most interested in our plan once we move to the US.  I think they want to see a logical, realistic plan of where you will live, how you will make money, etc.  Our scenario made sense, but you are correct, my husband does not officially have a job yet in the US, as he will be an entrepreneur.  

Timeline
On 2/4/2021 at 11:12 PM, SJS8581 said:

@KStene22 good luck this week! Please do keep us posted.

My husband’s interview is March 26. I’m US citizen living in Alberta as a PR with him (Canadian citizen) since 2016. I’ve been applying to work back in MI without luck yet and don’t want to move back to MI before his interview with the more strict and expensive international flight covid rules now, plus we are trying to conceive...but like others I’m concerned the consulate won’t approve without me living back in MI by the time he goes for his interview.

I submitted a letter on my intent to re-establish domicile in US with my paperwork last summer,

-provided proof of MI registered voter, and voting record since 2016

-have kept my Michigan cell#
-submitted proof of my MI bank account, IRRA and US credit card statement 

-stated I would get my MI drivers license back on my next visit since I had to turn it in when I got my Alberta license. I now have my MI license.

I’ll have a formal lease signed with family we will be living with for my husband to present at his interview. If I don’t have a job offer by March 26 then would have emails to show my applications and their replies to show my continued job search. My husband’s Alberta Union pension, which could be liquified, and our savings were approved in the affidavit of support.

I’m nervous this will not be enough for proof of domicile. We have to sell our condo here so we won’t be leaving for a couple months after the interview. Can anyone offer advice? It would be much appreciated. I’ve read the whole thread and yes I’m still reaching out haha. Thank you!

Honestly I feel like this is the best you can do!  If you know you will have a lease agreement and if you are actively searching for jobs, there really isn't much else you can do to make your case more convincing aside from accepting a job offer (which is out of your hands).  The secondary evidence you've provided is also good to flesh out your efforts.  Just do what makes sense in your situation to prepare to move, and then show proof of doing those things.  

Best of luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, mikebike said:

Neither. My current source of income will continue once I move to the USA; I'll be commuting to my job in Canada. Therefore my income is used to meet the poverty guidelines.

At the NVC and interview, did they just take your word for it, or did they ask for a letter from the employer confirming this arrangement?

Timeline
On 2/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, darth vader said:

At the NVC and interview, did they just take your word for it, or did they ask for a letter from the employer confirming this arrangement?

They just took my word for it. However, I work in an industry where it's common to commute from out of country.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.