outlawvette

Terminating a K1 relationship

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee and I have decided to end our relationship. She is here in the US with me. I have a plane ticket for her to return that ends on the 30th of this month. But now she wants to go when SHE decides. Anyone know where I can look to know what I am responsible for as far as her return?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
My fiancee and I have decided to end our relationship. She is here in the US with me. I have a plane ticket for her to return that ends on the 30th of this month. But now she wants to go when SHE decides. Anyone know where I can look to know what I am responsible for as far as her return?

I am sorry to hear that. She can stay for 90 days as far as I know. If she decides to go home when she wants, it is up to her to become illegal. You can write a letter to USCIS explaining the situation so you wont be responsible for whatever she does in the future. That's what I would do.....what do you guys think about it???

mC8rWn810367-02.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You are not legally responsible for her return.... taking responsibility is simply a courtesy on your part.... If she stays beyond her 90 day period she is only damaging her potential to ever visit the US again in the future,

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I don't understand the bold sentence above. What "ends on the 30th of this month"? Do you mean the ticket is for travel that day?

In any event, you are not responsible for her return or decisions unless you marry her and provide an I-864 with her adjustment of status application.

Her visa allows a 90 day stay. If she wants to be responsible for herself and getting home, that's up to her.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

vickydeutsch, thanks. I hate to end it like this but I think it is for the best for each of us. Thanks for all the info everyone.

pushbrk, I bought her a round trip ticket when we came here because it was cheaper. I set the date for Nov. 16th and that has passed. I have until the 30th to reschedule or she will have to purchase another ticket.

She now tells me I have to pay for her return to her home town as I signed a form which makes me legally and financially responsible for her. We both have basically agreed to end this but she says now I am kicking her out and therefore I must provide her with a return trip. I do not have the extra money for another round of flights for her. She has shown interest in going to stay with a friend she met online in Texas also from her home country. But after she learned I would not pay her way home she is claiming I am the one who is sending her home. What I really need to know is am I financially responsible for her under these circumstances. She has apx 30 days left on her K1.

Timeline
vickydeutsch, thanks. I hate to end it like this but I think it is for the best for each of us. Thanks for all the info everyone.

pushbrk, I bought her a round trip ticket when we came here because it was cheaper. I set the date for Nov. 16th and that has passed. I have until the 30th to reschedule or she will have to purchase another ticket.

She now tells me I have to pay for her return to her home town as I signed a form which makes me legally and financially responsible for her. We both have basically agreed to end this but she says now I am kicking her out and therefore I must provide her with a return trip. I do not have the extra money for another round of flights for her. She has shown interest in going to stay with a friend she met online in Texas also from her home country. But after she learned I would not pay her way home she is claiming I am the one who is sending her home. What I really need to know is am I financially responsible for her under these circumstances. She has apx 30 days left on her K1.

You have been given that answer... The answer is that you have no legal obligation.... A morale obligation? that is for you to decide

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You have been given that answer... The answer is that you have no legal obligation.... A morale obligation? that is for you to decide

Yes, I thought we were both clear on that. The choice is yours.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yes, I thought we were both clear on that. The choice is yours.

Yes, crystal

YMMV

Timeline

if she does not except your generous offer of a plane ticket back home. then she will get a free ticket if and when she gets deported.

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Man... I'm sorry that things are ending this way (hostility)but thank God you guys didnt marry just to have things to end like this! If she's not responsible and mature enough to get on the flight that you've already scheduled for her and go home, that's on her! May God be with you two :reading:

Timeline
Man... I'm sorry that things are ending this way (hostility)but thank God you guys didnt marry just to have things to end like this! If she's not responsible and mature enough to get on the flight that you've already scheduled for her and go home, that's on her! May God be with you two :reading:
Edited by ronjie

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Sorry to hear about this. I wish all of the best for you in the future.

Naturalization
July 7, 2014 - N400 packet sent out
July 8, 2014 - N400 packet delivered
July 16, 2014 - Received I-797 in mail
July 25, 2014 - Received the Biometrics notification
August 8, 2014 - Biometrics Appointment
August 12, 2014 - In line for interview scheduling

December 8, 2014 - Text Notification for Interview Scheduled

December 11, 2014 - Received the Interview Letter

January 14, 2015 - Interview(Passed!!!)

February 6, 2015 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Timeline

You only become legally responsible for her after you've married and filed AOS, as far as the "public charge" thing.

I would simply contact USCIS to let them know that the K1 will be allowed to expire, that you are not marrying, but that it was indeed your intention to marry when you filed. I would also mention that she is reluctant to leave, simply to CYA in case fraud comes up.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.