ellmvl

How to keep your relationship strong?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
It has been so long that I even got used to this emailing and chat and webcam etc etc. Maybe we'll miss that in a few years when we get settled LOL. Who knows!.
Since my husband and I were dating until now we still sleep together with our cams open all night until we wake up and leave for work. You are right, maybe I will miss this sleeping on cam with my husband once we will live together in real. LOL I think we are all suffering the same kind of stress. Sometimes I just get mad of my husband without any reason...and watching his face on cam seems so annoying....but later i will just realized that I just miss him so much and i feel so helpless :crying:

:crying: Oh my God...that made me cry! That's so sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

Fighting is normal. All that means is that you are getting to know each other better and getting more comfortable now. You've reached the point where you can tell each other if you're mad about something and you can show if you're mad about something. It's normal and it's probably even more likely to happen when you don't have each other physically there to be the support and love in your life.

I see my husband every 2 months. We talk on the phone every single day. To me, I had to have that physical contact with him to get to know him better, because he's not really a talkative person on the phone. He jokes and stuff, but we have more meaningful conversations when we're together.

If one of you can afford to travel, try and visit each other as much as possible.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Albania
Timeline

My husband learned to use Skype this year!!! He still can't handle email. In the morning he goes to an internet cafe and we skype/webcam each other. I call him when I get home from work. We send letters back and forth. Well, he sends postcards and I send letters. We go over his english homework in the morning. If I have a question for him, I write it down to remember to ask him. I think we fight less when apart because our main emotion is missing each other. Anger is a far second.

Sleeping with the webcams open, that is the sweetest thing ever.

I will admit to saying good night to my husband in bed every night even though he is 8000 miles away. Supposedly, he does the same thing.

Sheep: Baa-ram-ewe, baa-ram-ewe. To your breed, your fleece, your clan be true. Sheep be true. Baa-ram-ewe.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
How do you keep your relationship strong despite of the distance between you and your partner based on your own experiences?

Being separated by distance with your love ones is a huge challenge that we are facing in our lives now. Yes we are happy co'z we are in love and we are loved, but there are times that we feel sorry co'z we can't hold the man/woman that we love. There are so many articles/advices that we can read on the internet, books, magazines or hear from our friends or counselors...but I wanna hear from the VJ'ers or those who are on same situation as me...what are the things that you do to keep your relationship/marriage stronger everyday. It could be a small or silly things but you know for sure helps you and your partner to fight the stress of being apart. :star:

We live a Skype life. We Skype video call twice a day for a few hours and chat about our day and how slooooow USCIS is with our paperwork. When I am on the road I travel with a 3G card so we can still do our twice day video call. While this can't replace warmth of having my wife next to me but I would hate to see what it would be like without the internet.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I call her at least once a day but usually will speak with her twice a day. With cheap phone cards, Skype or other VOIP options it's not that expensive to stay in touch, and there's always email or webcams and internet cafe's. When I speak with her I keep her focused on our future together and how happy we will be, and how happy we have been. I am always thinking about the things I love about her. We don't let little problems grown into big problems. I visit her as often as I can - about 3 times a year, even if only for a week..

It sounds kind of simplistic, but it really isn't that hard. In the grand scheme of things this will just be a short blip in our lives - and if we can learn to do the little things that keep us going while we're apart now - it'll be even easier to do when we're finally together.

If it's really love - you can find a way to do it.

-David

How do you keep your relationship strong despite of the distance between you and your partner based on your own experiences?

Being separated by distance with your love ones is a huge challenge that we are facing in our lives now. Yes we are happy co'z we are in love and we are loved, but there are times that we feel sorry co'z we can't hold the man/woman that we love. There are so many articles/advices that we can read on the internet, books, magazines or hear from our friends or counselors...but I wanna hear from the VJ'ers or those who are on same situation as me...what are the things that you do to keep your relationship/marriage stronger everyday. It could be a small or silly things but you know for sure helps you and your partner to fight the stress of being apart. :star:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Every morning I get up, we Skype for at least an hour ... then when she wakes up (9 hour time difference) we Skype for at least an hour ... emails & short videos are exchanged pretty regular too (including the 'spicy' kind) :P ... and quick calls on a decent calling card.

Even with all that, this is still the hardest time of my life EVER. We communicate so much with touch, holding hands, hugs, etc. ... all the electronic devices in the world cannot help 'that' need.

It's only been 6 weeks apart so far for me & yet it seems like ages. I have no idea how those in the 6 month plus waiting time frame handle it.

I'm prone to bouts of depression, and I'm heading into another serious one now. I mean even little things, like still waiting for my NOA1 for my K3 (it's just an NOA1 CSC, send it please!) are starting to get me down. In my mind (like most everyone here) I think this process is stupid, and my wife and best friend should be by my side RIGHT NOW, and not waiting for some paperwork sitting in someones file drawer for months on end to decide if I can be with the woman I love or not.

This just isn't fair :(

adiiann - Thank you for your post. Those 7 steps are very well written

Steve & Ksenia

502pfk.gif2rom8nd.gif

July 23, 2008 - Married my beautiful Ksenia

Oct 11, 2008 - I-130 Sent

Oct 13, 2008 - I-130 Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 20, 2008 - Checks cashed by USCIS

Oct 24, 2008 - NOA1 (I-130)

Oct 25, 2008 - I-129F Sent to CSC

Oct 29, 2008 - I-129F Received at CSC

Oct 30, 2008 - NOA1 for I-129F mailed to me - received 11/22/08 because of address change

Oct 31, 2008 - I-130 Touched

Nov 3, 2008 - I-130 Touched

Nov 18, 2008 - I-129F Touched

Nov 20, 2008 - I-130 (for step daughter) Touched

Feb 17, 2009 - Case received by the NVC

Feb 25, 2009 - Received letter from NVC dated Feb 20th saying they had received my approved I-129F

Feb 27, 2009 - Received 2 letters from NVC dated Feb 20th - they had received both approved I-130's

Mar 6, 2009 - Medical for Ksenia & Sasha completed in Kiev. Everything is great.

Mar 9, 2009 - Called NVC and found out our K3 is in "administrative processing"

Apr 6, 2009 - OUT OF A.P. !!! File being sent to Kiev !

May 5, 2009 - K3 interview in Kiev! APPROVED !!!

July 12, 2009 - ARRIVAL IN USA !!!

We watch movies together....set them up at the same time....then over AOL or Google talk, we watch them.

I love hearing him laugh at the same bits I laugh at....love telling him to shhhh when there is a good bit coming up in a movie (he talks sooo much)

We also leave webcams and voice chat open all night, especially on weekends...where he gets to watch over my sleep in the evening (I sleep earlier because of the 5 hour difference) and i get to watch over his sleep in the mornings.

Sometimes we switch up our hours on weekends and days off so that we are operating on the same time scale. We talk every night and sometimes when I am working from home, we talk during the day. If we are working an it's feasible...we IM whilst I am in the office (very naughty....but we are addicted to each other and there is no stopping it....I'm waiting for him to wake up this morning so i can ask him what he ate for dinner last night!!!)

I take my laptop to my mum's and have him on IM there whilst we have get togethers and take photo's. I take him on tours around my house and let him watch me cook and do the dishes.....

My laptop is our saviour really....it gives me a lot of freedom. If it wasnt for free internet calling...i would have been bankrupt from the amount of time we talk....we challenged yahoo voice by keeping it open for nearly 40 hours once :-)

We fight and niggle and wind each other and push buttons like any couple would. Test our differences and strengthen the things that we have in common. Sometimes we read to each other....books we love.

And we talk alot about the future. Our future. And we dont sugar coat it. We know it is going to be hard. And I cant wait.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Timeline
Every morning I get up, we Skype for at least an hour ... then when she wakes up (9 hour time difference) we Skype for at least an hour ... emails & short videos are exchanged pretty regular too (including the 'spicy' kind) :P ... and quick calls on a decent calling card.

Even with all that, this is still the hardest time of my life EVER. We communicate so much with touch, holding hands, hugs, etc. ... all the electronic devices in the world cannot help 'that' need.

It's only been 6 weeks apart so far for me & yet it seems like ages. I have no idea how those in the 6 month plus waiting time frame handle it.

I'm prone to bouts of depression, and I'm heading into another serious one now. I mean even little things, like still waiting for my NOA1 for my K3 (it's just an NOA1 CSC, send it please!) are starting to get me down. In my mind (like most everyone here) I think this process is stupid, and my wife and best friend should be by my side RIGHT NOW, and not waiting for some paperwork sitting in someones file drawer for months on end to decide if I can be with the woman I love or not.

This just isn't fair :(

adiiann - Thank you for your post. Those 7 steps are very well written

Don't be sad, be HAPPY!!!! You're in California service center! Not Vermont! You should get your approvals fairly quickly!

[/quot

Being separated with your love ones its not easy,and its really diificult for me..But there are many ways to keep the relationship strong.For me,constant communication is needed,honesty,and trust...It takes two to tango. The success or failure of a long-distance relationship, or any kind of relationship for that matter, does not lie solely on one person. It will depend on what we do, how we react to what has been done, or how either parties decide to cope. Love is something we can never win against. The best we can do is be content with the cards we are dealt with and play the game as sincerely as we can.

= Lifting Conditional Status =

=TIMELINE=

June 01, 2012 = Date Filed

2uy0dqv9l9c.png

[GOD,i thank you so much for answering my prayers..Thank you so much...

I was at the office reading all your responses. It is so nice to hear and learn from you guys...thanks a lot for spending your precious time to share with us your experiences. Let's not forget to give credit to those online companies that gives us free access to online chatting, voice call, free text etc. You guys are really such a BIG help to us...Thank you!

Trust, constant communication & patience plays a huge role in every relationship...but the challenge is quite tighter for us who are on this long distance relationship. EaSy to say but hard to do. Just hang in there guys...when you think you can't bare things anymore and you feel like giving-up...just hold on to the wonderful memories that you and your partner have shared together...browse your wedding albums, read your love letters, listen to some soul uplifting music, cry if you need to...but most of all...PRAY!

More power to us all...CHEERS! :dance:

ZlYHm6.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We talk on skype when he gets home from work in the evenings and we stay on all night so we can talk when either one of us wake.... He can hear when our 5 month old daughter wakes. He talks to her sometimes when she won't settle. Skype is our lifeline. We're not in the same room but we go about our lives together.

Gail & John

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Field Office: Houston, TX

Consulate : Vancouver, Canada

Marriage : 2007-10-06

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-29

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-01

Waited and Worried: February - October!

Submitted Address change: 2008-10-18

Touch: 2008-10-20

Touch: 2008-10-21

I-130 Approval : 2008-11-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-11-03

NVC Received : 2008-11-08

NVC Left : 2008-11-10

Consolate Received: 2008-11-18

Package 3 Received: 2008-11-25

Package 3 Returned to Consulate: 2008-11-26

Interview date: 2009-01-07

K3 Visa received: 2009-01-08

Date of Entry to USA: 2009-02-25

AOS Date Filed : 2010-08-11

NOA Date : 2010-08-19

Bio. Appt. : 2010-10-01

Interview Date : 2010-11-15

RFE: 2010-11-24

RFE returned and signed for: 2010-12-01

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-12-14

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: 2010-12-24

N-400 sent: 2015-04-18

Bio. Appt.: 2015-05-27

Interview date: 2015-08-10

Approval / Denial Date: 2015-09-10

Approved: Yes

Oath Ceramony: 2015-09-23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.