Izoom

Ducks in a row

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Now that we are together, we realized what we have ahead of us. The little things seem to become harder as we realize what needs to be

done, but in the right order. Correct me on this but I think I have this right so far...

Apply for:

Marriage license first (can't do much without it)

SSN before marriage (can change name after ceremony)

Driver's license before marriage (can change name after ceremony, only after obtaining SSN)

Is that right? She has her own bank account and I'm working on cell phone plan, but so far I think that is where we are at so far.

USA_a.gif

I don't think you need your SSN or a driver's license before you get married.

Sent I-130 to VT 25-Oct-2007

I-130 Moved to California 6-August-2008

My petition has been in 3 states (1, twice) in 9 months!

Rec'd by CSC 8/9, touched 8/11, 8/12, 8/15, 8/20, 8/25

Approved Tuesday, 25-August-2008

10 months since we mailed the petition

Rec'd NVC 9/3, Invoice Generated 9/10, DS-3032 emailed 9/11.

Rec'd AOS invoice 9/15, paid online 9/15, Accepted as Paid 9/18, mailed I-864EZ 9/19

IV Invoiced 9/18, paid online 9/19, Accepted as paid 9/22

DS-230 sent 10/2

Case complete @NVC 10/8 - 11 months, 1 week and 6 days

Interview in Montreal December 18, 2008 - scheduled 1 year, 1 week and 3 days after the start of our journey. Takes place 1 year, 1 month, 3 weeks and 2 days after the start...

[X] Passed [ ] Failed Interview

Thursday, April 2, 2009 Activated Visa - 1 year, 5 months, 1 week and 1 day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You may have a problem with the DL post October 1, 2008 law changes but appears solvable

Canadian Citizens

Under federal law, Canadian citizens are non-immigrants and are allowed to stay in the U.S. without obtaining US BCIS documentation. Canadians without US BCIS documents must provide proof of Canadian citizenship to be issued a Florida driver license or identification card by presenting one of the following documents and a secondary form of identification:

1. Valid Canadian passport

2. Original or certified Canadian birth certificate

3. Canadian Naturalization Certificate

4. Canadian Certificate of Citizenship

All Canadian citizens will be issued an original or renewal driver license for one calendar year from the date of issue.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Now that we are together, we realized what we have ahead of us. The little things seem to become harder as we realize what needs to be

done, but in the right order. Correct me on this but I think I have this right so far...

Apply for:

Marriage license first (can't do much without it)

SSN before marriage (can change name after ceremony)

Driver's license before marriage (can change name after ceremony, only after obtaining SSN)

Is that right? She has her own bank account and I'm working on cell phone plan, but so far I think that is where we are at so far.

In Missouri, you don't need the SSN or DL to get married.

You also do not need all that stuff for AOS of a K-1. It's not necessary to adjust.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't think you need your SSN or a driver's license before you get married.

Each state is different, you can call your local licensing department and they can tell you if you need a SSN to get married.

We went straight away to get a SSN even though we did not needed it to get married (in Washington State). The paper work did not take long (15 minutes) but getting the card took quite a while (6 weeks) so we were glad that we got on it right away.

I think the Drivers Licence is just down to personal choice, but I would definitely recommend getting an ID card of some sort to save you having to haul around your passport, if it got lost that would be a nightmare!

07/16/07 posted I-129f

07/20/07 confirmed delivered by US Postal Service

8/23/07 No NOA1 !!!!

8/23/07 phoned USCIS (told they can't help until after 90 days)

8/23/07 contacted bank to get copy of Cx check...illegable...noc WAC#

tried for weeks to get actual check....not possible, had to wait the 90 days for info from USCIS

10/17/07 Phoned USCIS, got thru (!), got WAC number and NOA1 date!!!!

07/26/07 NOA1 (never recieved hard copy, was promised a copy would be sent)

11/01/07 Ordered copy of "long form" UK B.C.

11/05/07 Recieved B.C. (Wish USCIS was that fast!)

11/09/07 Submitted request for UK police records

12/04/07 APPROVED By USCIS NOA2 letter sent (or so they claim)

12/15/07 Police certificate recieved

12/28/07 Called NVC, not in system

01/04/08 petition forwarded to London

01/12/08 packet 3 received *rubs eye in disbelief* Speed and efficiency, can it be?

01/18/08 HARD COPY OF NOA2 ARRIVED...seems the snail made a wrong turn somewhere.

01/28/08 Returned packet 3 to London Embassy

02/12/08 Medical completed...no problem.

02/13/08 Packet 4 received from London Embassy

03/03/08 Embassy Interview

03/06/08 Visa Arrived....Lovely to finally see it even if it is a bit drab...after 8 month you think they'd have sprung for some gold foil or at least a COLOR photo?

TODAY...he's here! He's in the US! Hurrah!

Depends on what the rules are for obtaining marriage and drivers' licenses in your state. In PA, we applied for our marriage license the day after I entered the country (they only needed my passport), and married a week later. I opted to apply for my SSN and DL after I got married, just so I wouldn't have to go back to those places more than I had to. To be fair, I couldn't do much before them either! Obtaining my DL required my SSN, being added to my husband's benefits and our joint bank account required my SSN... list goes on.

I completely agree though with the ducks in a row analogy. I had a whole chronological list of things that we had to get done, in a specific order, because without the preceding one I couldn't move onto the next. :lol:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, with our plans and getting married on December 6th, it seems like a waiting game till then. We can take care of some things prior to that, but

the rest needs to occur or would occur after. Applying for the marriage license tomorrow, supposedly there is a 3-day waiting period.

USA_a.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

DL do vary from State to State. In Georgia you can't get a DL without both a SSN and either a green card or EAD. The DL is only issued for the same length of time as the immigration document. I would apply for your SSN as soon as you can. Some states also require SSN for a marriage license. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
DL do vary from State to State. In Georgia you can't get a DL without both a SSN and either a green card or EAD. The DL is only issued for the same length of time as the immigration document. I would apply for your SSN as soon as you can. Some states also require SSN for a marriage license. Good luck.

Wait, I'm going to need to wait for my EAD before I can get a driver's license? That totally sucks.

Phil and I are getting our marriage license when I go to visit him this month. We're going to marry ASAP after I get there so we can apply for AP to get back to Bermuda in time for Dad's wedding.

So much rushing around....sigh

~ Catherine

Filed: Timeline
You may have a problem with the DL post October 1, 2008 law changes but appears solvable

Canadian Citizens

Under federal law, Canadian citizens are non-immigrants and are allowed to stay in the U.S. without obtaining US BCIS documentation. Canadians without US BCIS documents must provide proof of Canadian citizenship to be issued a Florida driver license or identification card by presenting one of the following documents and a secondary form of identification:

1. Valid Canadian passport

2. Original or certified Canadian birth certificate

3. Canadian Naturalization Certificate

4. Canadian Certificate of Citizenship

All Canadian citizens will be issued an original or renewal driver license for one calendar year from the date of issue.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html#NUSC

K-1 visa negates the above.

Justin, this is what I did (applies to Florida only): Got married; applied for SSN in married name; applied for Florida resident card; applied for driver's license once I received the NOA for AOS. (They won't issue a driver's license without the NOA.) The driver's license is good for a year. Once she receives her greencard she can renew her license and it will be valid for 6 years.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

but the laws changed on October 1, 2008... Your experience does not appear to be the same as it is now written...

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I already had a SSN# so just had to get my name changed on it (was my former married name), which I did after we were married. Applied for a Driver's licence almost immediately (just considered an out of state transfer of licence in CT), and filed AOS a couple of weeks later (mostly because I couldn't get it together - I was exhausted from the move and the wedding stuff). :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
but the laws changed on October 1, 2008... Your experience does not appear to be the same as it is now written...

The information you posted to hasn't changed payxibka, we are in Florida too and that information was on the website when my Husband applied for his license a few months ago.

I'm not sure what you are getting at?

Plus, unless they changed it in October, the info you posted would only apply to part-time residents (as how else could you be here?) therefore they would be issuing a 'Florida Only' license rather than the regular driver's license. They never mention the Florida only license but it does exist and is available to people who do not wish to give up their license from wherever they have come from.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.