ToddMinc

Alternative Medicine?

Alternative Medicine?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever tried any form of alternative medicine?

• Yes
    • No
    • To some degree or extent

29 posts in this topic

i have had clients use st john's wort for depression and report some good results,,,they were not clinically depressed, more likely seasonal affective disorder..a German research shows it is effective in this area...

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

A lot of Chinese alternative medicines have helped me in the past. :thumbs:

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

No, but I try to keep the use of meds at it's lowest.

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've used homeopathics and aromatherapy many times...both have worked well for me. I'd like to find some alternative therapies to augment what I'm currently taking for my diabetes and asthma. I too like to keep the prescription drugs to a minimum. With my medical conditions, it's been rather hard to do that lately. *sigh*

Whether or not one considers herbals and homeopathics "hocus-pocus" or not, herbs are natural treatments and were here on the planet LONG before modern medicine arrived. My people (First Nation People) didn't have modern medicines...they made use of the plants and herbs available to them. Some still do this today. Ah well...to each his own. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

I'm sort of in the hocus-pocus camp, but not because I don't think natural remedies can work. They can; many medicines are derived from plants. I'm in the hocus-pocus camp because in a lot of cases the natural remedies aren't tested for effectiveness or interactions. And there's no standardization. Plus, the natural remedy 'testimonials' tend to be like 'Mary C. had period pains and then took CHINESE HERB COMBINATION and the pain decreased!' Okay. So what is that? Will it interact with other medications? Is anyone allergic to it? I'm okay with the ones that have been tested more thoroughly: echinacea, st. john's wort, etc.

It's not the effectiveness I object to, it's the 'it's natural so it can't harm you' line that bothers me. A natural drug is still a drug. (Which no one here has been giving, but comes up a lot with my sister. Won't see a doctor, but will shell out cash for Random Magic Herb Sold By Snake Oil Salesman.)

Otherwise, I've had luck with chiropractic manipulation. I don't take a lot of medication, natural or pharmaceutical.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've tried some chinese medicine's massages on points of pression in the body for circulation issues and also granny's plants concocted into teas, although those were real medicine in times past.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

ABSOLUTELY. I've had chiropractic treatments. They are great. I've been on conventional medications for an illness I have. Those drugs have SERIOUS side effects. So, I've been using herbal remedies. TOTALLY works for me.

But . . . . they aren't harmless. You have to be careful if you have allergies because the herbal medicines come mostly from plants. And you can be allergic to them.

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a question about this poll. How can you ask the question, "Have you ever tried any form of alternative medicine?" and have a selection for "to some degree or extent" in there? It seems to me that, if you follow the question to it's logical conclusion, you've either tried alternative medication or you haven't. Even trying it once and then never again is still trying it, so that'd count as a "yes" for an answer. :unsure:

I'm sort of in the hocus-pocus camp, but not because I don't think natural remedies can work. They can; many medicines are derived from plants. I'm in the hocus-pocus camp because in a lot of cases the natural remedies aren't tested for effectiveness or interactions. And there's no standardization. Plus, the natural remedy 'testimonials' tend to be like 'Mary C. had period pains and then took CHINESE HERB COMBINATION and the pain decreased!' Okay. So what is that? Will it interact with other medications? Is anyone allergic to it? I'm okay with the ones that have been tested more thoroughly: echinacea, st. john's wort, etc.

It's not the effectiveness I object to, it's the 'it's natural so it can't harm you' line that bothers me. A natural drug is still a drug. (Which no one here has been giving, but comes up a lot with my sister. Won't see a doctor, but will shell out cash for Random Magic Herb Sold By Snake Oil Salesman.)

Otherwise, I've had luck with chiropractic manipulation. I don't take a lot of medication, natural or pharmaceutical.

Caladan, I absolutely agree! :thumbs:

This has been a sore spot between my fiancee and I. She tends to believe in -- and use -- alternative medicines, whereas I prefer more traditional prescription and over-the-counter medication. I suppose I shouldn't say "believe" since I know alternative medicines have the potential to do some good, but like you said, they're still affecting you in some fashion or another. What most people don't seem to realize is that anything you ingest -- and is designed to treat or cure ailments -- can (or will) change your body chemistry. Usually the effects are only temporary, but that's all you need for it to do some real harm.

For instance... did anyone here know that St. John's Wort can adversely affect "the birth control pill" and that there have been cases of women, who while taking St. John's Wort, got pregnant, even though they were following the instructions for "the birth control pill" to the letter and not missing a single dose. Of course, the same can be said for some types of antibiotics, which can reduce the effectiveness of "the birth control pill" as well. So both alternative and traditional medication have their problems.

All drugs -- alternative or traditional -- have side-effects and just because something is reported as "natural" does not mean it is "safe" at all There are a lot of "natural" things in the world you wouldn't want or that are far from safe.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Much of 'alternative medicine' is merely placebo and power of suggestion. I'm not gonna say all of it is bogus, but take something like homeopathy for example. It is completely BOGUS. It basically just uses water (yes, water) as a medicine, and because the patient believes it is a cure, they don't feel the pain as much.

Much like telling someone they have taken a painkiller when they have really had a sugar pill and magically the pain is reduced through the power of suggestion.

K1

11/06/2007 - I-129F sent to Nebraska

29/06/2007 - NOA1 letter received

21/12/2007 - NOA2 issued

31/12/2007 - NOA2 hard copy

28/01/2008 - Packet 3 received

11/02/2008 - Packet 3 forms & checklist returned to Embassy

13/02/2008 - Medical

28/02/2008 - Packet 4 received

20/03/2008 - Interview @ 10am - APPROVED

28/03/2008 - Visa in hand

14/04/2008 - POE Detroit (DTW)

22/05/2008 - Married

AOS

06/06/2008 - AOS & EAD filed

13/06/2008 - NOA1 letter received

14/07/2008 - Biometrics appointment

14/08/2008 - EAD production ordered

23/08/2008 - EAD card received

14/01/2009 - Green card producation ordered (No interview required)

22/01/2009 - Green card recieved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yes. homeopathy.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

My inlaws swear by Ayurveda, though I think it is more preventative rather than for treating specific symptoms. When I had tummy troubles in Nepal I took Pudina Hara(ayurvedic medicine) and it calmed things down. I have also dabbled in Qigong - keep meaning to get back into it since it really does boost my energy level and is easier than Yoga if you're not that flexible.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif