metinil

Waiting in the US?

31 posts in this topic

If you spend alot of time in the U.S., your chances of being refused entry increases. You have already spent significant time in the U.S. and don't plan on returning to Canada until December. Don't be surprised if you are refused entry in January due to excessive time in the U.S.

Right, it looks like in January they'll see you were in the US more than you were in Canada. Are you flying or driving?

Flying.

Canadians are allowed up to 6 months in the US at a time. I am able to show that I have funds to support myself while I visit the US, and I have ties to Canada...which weren't needed when I entered this time. My time was spread out by months... I could've been on a family vacation or at a vacation home for all they know.

ROC Journey:

01/19/11 I-751 & ROC package sent via USPS Priority

01/21/11 Package delivered to California Service Center

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

04/14/11 Approval Notice Date

04/18/11 Approval Notice Received

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
If you spend alot of time in the U.S., your chances of being refused entry increases. You have already spent significant time in the U.S. and don't plan on returning to Canada until December. Don't be surprised if you are refused entry in January due to excessive time in the U.S.

Right, it looks like in January they'll see you were in the US more than you were in Canada. Are you flying or driving?

Flying.

Canadians are allowed up to 6 months in the US at a time. I am able to show that I have funds to support myself while I visit the US, and I have ties to Canada...which weren't needed when I entered this time. My time was spread out by months... I could've been on a family vacation or at a vacation home for all they know.

Canadians are allowed to "visit" the US for up to six months at a time or six months in a given year. They are not allowed to "reside" in the USA. You may be allowed to re-enter in January and you may not. Your chances may be better driving, if that's practical but don't pack the car like you're moving.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Flying.

Canadians are allowed to "visit" the US for up to six months at a time or six months in a given year. They are not allowed to "reside" in the USA. You may be allowed to re-enter in January and you may not. Your chances may be better driving, if that's practical but don't pack the car like you're moving.

It's a bit of a drive Vancouver to Miami!

I think I better consult an immigration lawyer... I'm getting a little freaked out now, so it's time to talk to a professional.

ROC Journey:

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

Timeline

Flying.

It's a bit of a drive Vancouver to Miami!

I think I better consult an immigration lawyer... I'm getting a little freaked out now, so it's time to talk to a professional.

You consult whom you please but nobody can assure you that you'll be admitted to the USA at any time, for any reason or under any set of circumstances. The decision will be made by a CBP officer at the border.

Your best bet would be to have a friend drive you to Sea Tac.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Flying.

up to 6 months in a 12 month period. You are not supposed to be in the U.S. more than you are in Canada.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline

If you've already been in the US 5 months this year, and you still plan to stay until December, then you will have overstayed your allowed time for sure, by about 2 to 3 months. This *could* not only result in a denial of entry, but a bar from re-entry for a period of time, or at least until you get your spousal or fiancee visa.

How do you have ties to Canada if you've been in the US the past 5 months? Are you on leave of absence from a job? Do you even have a home in Canada, or do you "live" with family?

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Now you can see why I asked the question. No immigration attorney can change these rules for you. You need to adjust for plans to comply with the rules.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

I don't know why nobody else has mentioned it, but you have a fairly good case for doing an Adjustment of Status (AOS).

You came to the US "without" the intention of getting married. You just wanted to see how things were.

Now you've decided to marry your boyfriend.

If you get married now (before you go back to Canada) you can apply for Adjustment of Status.

However, you can't return to Canada until the process is complete...unless you get an early parole (more money, and more time).

That is, if you leave before your AOS is approved, then you would be considered to have abandoned the process,

and THEN things get really nasty.

Also, if you leave now, and return with the INTENT to marry, then you are committing immigration fraud and could be banned for life.

Again...the INTENT is the important part. If you came over a few times to get to know your boyfriend, and just "decided" to get married

during this visit, then you're OK. But if you decided that you want to circumvent the immigration laws/process, then you're not OK.

If you're really interested in speaking with an attorney, I suggest getting a one hour consultation. She may be able to go into more detail,

but fundamentally she will not tell you anything different from the advice you've been given.

Have a look at the link below, and read the warning carefully.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...page=i130guide2

good luck

LingChe NVC Guide

Using this guide may allow you to fly through NVC in as little as 11 days.

visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

--------------------

Our Visa Journey

2006-11-01: Met online through common interest in music - NOT Dating Service

2007-01-28: Met in person in Paris

2007-10-02: Married in Tokyo

2008-07-05: I-130 Sent

2008-08-13: NOA2 I-130

2008-10-02: Case Complete at NVC

2008-11-04: Interview - CR-1 Visa APPROVED

2008-12-11: POE - Chicago

2009-01-12: GC and Welcome Letter

2010-09-01: Preparing I-751 Removal of Conditions

2011-03-22: Card Production Ordered

2011-03-30 10 Year Card Received DONE FOR 10 YEARS

Standard Disclaimer (may not be valid in Iowa or Kentucky, please check your local laws): Any information given should not be considered legal advice,

and is based on personal experience or personal knowledge. Sometimes there might not be any information at all in my posts. Sometimes it might just

be humor or chit-chat, or nonsense. Deal with it. If you can read this...you're too close. Step away from the LingLing

YES WE DID!

And it appears to have made very little difference.

.png

Timeline
Also, if you leave now, and return with the INTENT to marry, then you are committing immigration fraud and could be banned for life.

Ling Ling is correct in that if your decision to marry occured during your current visit, you could marry now, and just adjust status, as long as you can stay in the USA until the AOS process is complete.

Leaving now and returning with the intent to marry is not a problem as long as you don't try to immigrate by adjusting status. Foreigners come to the US and marry frequently. As long as they conform to immigration laws by filing for and receiving the appropriate visa before "immigrating" it's no problem.

Intent to marry isn't necessarily intent to immigrate.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Thanks again everyone! Speaking to our lawyer on the 14th and I'm sure we'll figure it out!

ROC Journey:

01/25/11 Check cashed

03/07/11 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks again everyone! Speaking to our lawyer on the 14th and I'm sure we'll figure it out!

make sure your lawyer is a member of AILA and well-versed in immigration issues. Lots of lawyers have given out lots of wrong information, particularly when it comes to Can/Am relationships.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

I'm a Canadian citizen married to a US citizen, we got married in Canada. The last time I entered the US it was without intent on staying. BUT, since then we have changed our minds and decided to stay in the US. We decided to go see an immigration lawyer, he told us I would not have to leave the country even though my visitor's visa has expired. We are also applying for a work visa at the same time as the spousal sponsorship. We were told that we will have an answer on the work visa within 90 Days of submitting it. If the work visa is approved I should be able to work even if my sponsorship is still pending.

When my husband files his taxes we file jointly, he claims me as his dependent. I was issued a tax number by the IRS to be used instead of a SSN for filing purposes only.

metinil, we were told by TWO different immigration lawyers, Canadians can pretty much come and go as they please as long as they have no intent on staying in the US upon entry. Also, if the person has not done anything illegal of course. :innocent:

This is what was said to us by our lawyer, please do not take this as gospil. :no:

Good luck with everything, I'm sure your lawyer will be very helpful. :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline

Whatever lawyer told you that was on crack Graziela.

And there have been AILA lawyers thru here at VJ who have said "yeah sure, just come here, get married and stay, no problem!"

Just because they're AILA, doesn't necessarily mean they're any good or they know what they're talking about. If you hire a lawyer, do your research on them, get references.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And there have been AILA lawyers thru here at VJ who have said "yeah sure, just come here, get married and stay, no problem!"

Just because they're AILA, doesn't necessarily mean they're any good or they know what they're talking about. If you hire a lawyer, do your research on them, get references.

that's the key right there, aye. :yes:

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Timeline

We have done our research and are pretty confidant with our attorney, he is a former border patrol officer in one of the busiest Canadian/US ports of entry. Not to mention how long he has been in his current firm ran buy him and a fellow immigration attorney. Also he has personally had to go through the process with his wife who is from the Dominican Republic.

Actually now that I think about it, while looking for an immigration lawyer we were told by three different lawyers that our situation is fine, (I think I mentioned in my earlier post we were told by two lawyers). Maybe because we have been married 10 years come November and also have a 5 year old son who is now a Naturalized American Citizen, he was born in Canada when we all lived there. Not sure if our situation makes a difference? We came down for a visit and DH’s step mom got sick then passed a year later. DH didn’t want to leave his father under the circumstances so here we are. DS and I have travelled back and forth from the US and Canada several times.

I’m not saying that I can’t be deported at any time, no one can say that unless they are a US citizen. Or that it may mess up our whole process, I do appreciate all advice given as I am certainly no expert when it comes to US immigration laws. :no:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.