dxv

Travel on AP - reason different than the one in application

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello

I have a quick question:

my AP was approved and I already received it. Is it possible to travel with AP for a reason not included in AP application form?

In other words, I applied for my AP for business reasons. It looks like, at this point, that this trip will be postponed. My question is - would it be illegal to make a whole different trip on my AP?

This new trip will be a short term trip (not more than 10 days) and my spouse (US citizen) would travel with me, if that matters at all. Also, I have a very strong explanation for my original application, backed up by paper documentation from my company (we are a subsidiary of an overseas company, I was supposed to travel there for training - that was postponed).

Thank you very much for your responses.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Once your AP is approved and you have your documents, the reason for travelling is not an issue. As long as you have your AP documents with you when you re-enter the U.S., that will be all that's necessary.

Have a good trip.

Edit: AP is for multiple uses, usually valid for one year, so you might have a different reason for travelling every time you use it.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You can use it for whatever purpose you want.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Boiler,

I would recommend not using it to attend al quida training camp.

Yodrak

Or drug running...

Must be a few others as well.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I wrote a long list of why I needed AP -- best friend's wedding, elderly grandparents, picking up my stuff that I left in storage, etc etc. I ended up using it for a medical emergency with my mom. Like others have said, if you have a multiple use AP, you're ok.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Boiler,

I would recommend not using it to attend al quida training camp.

Yodrak

good advice Yodrak :lol::thumbs:

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Are all AP documents issued for multiple use?

I believe I stated somewhere on the form it would be used for one trip... but if the whole AOS process takes longer than i thought, the AP might be needed for more than one use. I know i can just apply for another, but i think i have dished out enough money.

09/20/05 I-129F Sent to VSC

09/23/05 NOA1 email

09/29/05 NOA1 "snail mail"

10/04/05 NOA2 email

10/11/05 NOA2 snail mail

11/03/05 Not sure when, but it arrived at Juarez

12/19/06 Packet 3 arrives at US address

2/23/06 Interview @ Juarez

2/23/06 Receive Visa

2/25/06 Arrive in USA - temp EAD issued at JFK

3/17/06 Received Social Security Card

3/18/06 Married

3/31/06 AOS packet sent to Chicago

4/6/06 AOS packet received @ Chicago

4/10/06 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, AP received

4/19/06 Biometrics

6/16 EAD approved via email

6/20/06 AP Document received

6/24/06 EAD card received

6/27/06 Appointment letter for AOS interview

8/23/06 AOS interview - approved pending FBI name check

8/30/06 AOS approved - via email

9/7/06 GREEN CARD arrives

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Somewhere on the form it should say 'multiple entry'... or 'single entry'. Hopefully yours says multiple and you can use it as many times as you need to during the year.

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.