Alice Meichi

Unemployment Qualification?

17 posts in this topic

My husband got fired on Monday and the subject of collecting unemployment has been thrown around. Our situation is a bit different from ones I've read before in this situation, so I wanted to hear some feedback? Here's the run-down:

We live and work in NYC.

He's worked at a retail store for about 3 months.. 2 of those months, he was under his temporary EAD. 1 month his employer let him stay working there before he got his green card and renewal EAD. He received his renewal EAD on Friday (approved on the 5th), and was fired 3 days later. The employer refused to update his employment information with the new green card/EAD information before he was fired.

He was forced to sign a form stating inaccurate and subjective reasons for his being fired, under the threat of not receiving his final paycheck. The reasons include a very vague (and contrived) explanation of him not being "fit" for the job.

Is he eligible to file for unemployment? If so, would we get trouble for him working in the gap between EADs? Would the inaccurate form he was forced to sign come into play?

Alice Meichi Li

AliceMeichi.com - Illustration Portfolio

I-129F K-1 Visa

October 16, 2007: I-129F Petition Sent to VSC via FedEx Ground

October 17, 2007: I-129F Received

October 24, 2007: NOA1 Received

January 13, 2008: NOA2 Received

January 18, 2008: NVC Received

January 28, 2008: Packet 3 Received

February 1, 2008: Packet 3 Sent

March 14, 2008: Packet 4 Received

April 4, 2008: INTERVIEW!

April 7, 2008: K-1 Visa Received

April 29, 2008: Michael enters United States on K-1 visa

June 9, 2008: Alice and Michael GET MARRIED!

I-485 AOS/I-765 EAD

June 26, 2008: AOS Packet Sent to Chicago via FedEx Ground

June 30, 2008: AOS Packet Received

July 7, 2008: NOA1 dated

July 12, 2008: NOA1 Received

July 25, 2008: Biometrics appointment

August 28, 2008: AOS Welcome Notice received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: EAD approval received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

September 13, 2008: EAD RECEIVED!

I-751 Removal of Conditions

May 27, 2010: I-751 Packet sent to Vermont Service Center via USPS Priority Mail, Certified

May 29, 2010: I-751 Packet Received

June 1, 2010: NOA1 Dated

June 7, 2010: NOA1 Received

August 23, 2010: Biometrics appointment

September 20, 2010: Approval decision letter

September 27, 2010: 10-YEAR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

N-400 Application for Naturalization

January 23, 2017: N-400 Petition Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

January 25, 2017: NOA1 Dated

February 14, 2017: Biometrics appointment

October 27, 2017: NOA2 Dated

December 5, 2017: INTERVIEW PASSED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

eligibility is state dependant... look to your appropriate state agency for the answer... he can always file... his eligibility will be determined then

YMMV

eligibility is state dependant... look to your appropriate state agency for the answer... he can always file... his eligibility will be determined then

Thank you. :) Do you know anything about whether or not we'd get into trouble for him working in the 1-month gap between EADs?

Alice Meichi Li

AliceMeichi.com - Illustration Portfolio

I-129F K-1 Visa

October 16, 2007: I-129F Petition Sent to VSC via FedEx Ground

October 17, 2007: I-129F Received

October 24, 2007: NOA1 Received

January 13, 2008: NOA2 Received

January 18, 2008: NVC Received

January 28, 2008: Packet 3 Received

February 1, 2008: Packet 3 Sent

March 14, 2008: Packet 4 Received

April 4, 2008: INTERVIEW!

April 7, 2008: K-1 Visa Received

April 29, 2008: Michael enters United States on K-1 visa

June 9, 2008: Alice and Michael GET MARRIED!

I-485 AOS/I-765 EAD

June 26, 2008: AOS Packet Sent to Chicago via FedEx Ground

June 30, 2008: AOS Packet Received

July 7, 2008: NOA1 dated

July 12, 2008: NOA1 Received

July 25, 2008: Biometrics appointment

August 28, 2008: AOS Welcome Notice received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: EAD approval received via E-mail

September 5, 2008: GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

September 13, 2008: EAD RECEIVED!

I-751 Removal of Conditions

May 27, 2010: I-751 Packet sent to Vermont Service Center via USPS Priority Mail, Certified

May 29, 2010: I-751 Packet Received

June 1, 2010: NOA1 Dated

June 7, 2010: NOA1 Received

August 23, 2010: Biometrics appointment

September 20, 2010: Approval decision letter

September 27, 2010: 10-YEAR GREEN CARD RECEIVED!

N-400 Application for Naturalization

January 23, 2017: N-400 Petition Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

January 25, 2017: NOA1 Dated

February 14, 2017: Biometrics appointment

October 27, 2017: NOA2 Dated

December 5, 2017: INTERVIEW PASSED!

My husband got fired on Monday and the subject of collecting unemployment has been thrown around. Our situation is a bit different from ones I've read before in this situation, so I wanted to hear some feedback? Here's the run-down:

We live and work in NYC.

He's worked at a retail store for about 3 months.. 2 of those months, he was under his temporary EAD. 1 month his employer let him stay working there before he got his green card and renewal EAD. He received his renewal EAD on Friday (approved on the 5th), and was fired 3 days later. The employer refused to update his employment information with the new green card/EAD information before he was fired.

He was forced to sign a form stating inaccurate and subjective reasons for his being fired, under the threat of not receiving his final paycheck. The reasons include a very vague (and contrived) explanation of him not being "fit" for the job.

Is he eligible to file for unemployment? If so, would we get trouble for him working in the gap between EADs? Would the inaccurate form he was forced to sign come into play?

Q: What employment do I need in order to qualify for benefits?

A: To qualify for benefits:

You must have worked and been paid wages for employment in at least two calendar quarters in your base period,

AND

You must have been paid at least $1600 in wages in one of the calendar quarters in your base period,

AND

The total wages paid to you in your base period must be one and one-half times your high quarter wages. The amount of high quarter earnings used to determine if you meet this requirement will not be greater than $8,910. Earnings in the other base period quarters must total at least one-half of $8,910, or $4,455.

Source :thumbs:

Timeline

Thank you. :) Do you know anything about whether or not we'd get into trouble for him working in the 1-month gap between EADs?

Not with the unemployment folk as they are a state agency.... I have no idea how they interact with the feds.... now that he has authorization they might not ever put 2 & 2 together

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Hang on, I'm confused here: I thought we (as new immigrants) weren't allowed to claim unemployment, or any other benefits for that matter. Isn't that why we have to be sponsored? So we don't become a "public charge?" :wacko:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline
Hang on, I'm confused here: I thought we (as new immigrants) weren't allowed to claim unemployment, or any other benefits for that matter. Isn't that why we have to be sponsored? So we don't become a "public charge?" :wacko:

in most if not all states, unemployment is a state agency administered but employer funded benefit and not a federal government sponsored "means tested" benefit.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline

in most if not all states, unemployment is a employer funded benefit and not a government sponsored "means tested" benefit.

OK, that answers one question, but poses another: what exactly do you mean by "employer funded?" This guy's just been fired, right? So he has no employer now, right? So who funds his unemployment? The employer that just fired him!!?? :wacko:

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Timeline
OK, that answers one question, but poses another: what exactly do you mean by "employer funded?" This guy's just been fired, right? So he has no employer now, right? So who funds his unemployment? The employer that just fired him!!?? :wacko:

Employer funded means that as any active employee earns his/her wage... this is reported to the state agency and a fee is assesed and a contribution is determined and "funded" to the agency....

For example: John Q Public worked during Q1 and earned $10,000. The employer is required to fund x% (say 1%) of JQP's wages to the fund. The employer then sends $100 based on JQP's wage. The same is done for each and every active employee.... When an employee involuntarily terminates at some point in the future, then based on his/her employment earnings/longevity will determine eligibility for a benefit and the amount of that benefit. In theory this is a self-funded, self supporting benefit and is not to be supplemented by other tax dollars

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

in most if not all states, unemployment is a employer funded benefit and not a government sponsored "means tested" benefit.

Employers in New York state pay into the state unemployment insurance fund. He would not be paid unemployment directly from his former employer.

For the OP, it doesn't sound, to me, that he has worked long enough to be eligible if he has only worked 3 months - as Karin und Otto said above.

I'm a little more concerned about this paragraph: "He was forced to sign a form stating inaccurate and subjective reasons for his being fired, under the threat of not receiving his final paycheck. The reasons include a very vague (and contrived) explanation of him not being "fit" for the job."

New York is an employment-at-will state, so an employer doesn't have to give a reason for termination, but - I don't think they can threaten to withhold final pay. Not sure if this is something the state Department of Labor would handle, or the US DoL.

Here is general contact information for New York state:

http://www.labor.state.ny.us/agencyinfo/aicontactus.shtm

and here is the US Department of Labor:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/contact/index.htm

If you think he was being discriminated against as an immigrant, here is a link to the Department of Justice Office of Special Counsel:

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/osc/

I hope this helps.

AOS

Date Filed: 2008-08-27

NOA Date: 2008-09-02

Bio. Appt.: 2008-09-18

AOS Transfer: 2008-09-22 to CSC; 2008-11-25 to local office

Approval/Denial Date: 2009-02-10 card production ordered

Greencard Received: 2009-02-20

Removal of Conditions

Date mailed: 2010-11-12

NOA Date: 2010-11-15

Approved: 2011-04-28 card production ordered

Received card: 2011-05-04

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

This is why so many employers make it a living hell to work at their company so they don't have to fire anyone because in many cases they have to chip into the unemployment bucket. Also, this is why so many employees refuse to quit, because they know that they will most likely receive unemployment benefits for a few months if they think they qualify.

Diana

Edited by Mononoke28

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
This is why so many employers make it a living hell to work at their company so they don't have to fire anyone because in many cases they have to chip into the unemployment bucket. Also, this is why so many employees refuse to quit, because they know that they will most likely receive unemployment benefits for a few months if they think they qualify.

Diana

Well all employers must chip in but they certainly can affect the "experience" rating and cause it to go down if they have few or no claims...

YMMV

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

He was forced???

It is against the law to not pay earnings....they cannot withhold it.

For umemployment, there is usually a waiting period if the person was fired for cause.....which he evidently agreed to some reason.

Don't know about NY requirements.

Edited by desert_fox

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I would get in touch with your L&I office about this forceful and illegal way to make him sign this false statement.

This statement most likely covers their b*** in him not being eligible to file unemployment.

You will have to check with your state, but you CAN'T file for unemployment if you got fired.

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Timeline
New York is an employment-at-will state, so an employer doesn't have to give a reason for termination...............

Again, please excuse my ignorance of the U.S. employment laws, but what exactly do you mean by "employment-at-will?" Are you saying that employers in New York can simply turn around one day and say to any random employee: "you're fired???" And give no reason??? Is there not an HR procedure to adhere to (i.e. verbal warning, written warning, and final written warning before termination)? Any unfair dismissal laws employees can utilise through the courts? ANYTHING?????? :wacko:

Edited by Damian P

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.