Thewhites

K1 marriage and SSN

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just got married! YAY!

I have been looking around but I don't seem to see my situation.

Can I apply for my SSN after I get married on a K1 visa? A lot of places seem to say no.. but it seems odd that I can't. I know that I can't work until I get my EAD but I woudl like to get banking things and whatnot situated before my husband is deployed.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I just got married! YAY!

Can I apply for my SSN after I get married on a K1 visa? A lot of places seem to say no.. but it seems odd that I can't. I know that I can't work until I get my EAD but I woudl like to get banking things and whatnot situated before my husband is deployed.

you have to wait for your EAD.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
you have to wait for your EAD.

WRONG!!!! You have until day 76 of entry to apply for SSN regardless of your post entry marital activity

PS this is talked about everyday... do a google search and you will get lots of information

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

well... i went to the social security office after getting married with a valid I-94 and they told me that as soon as i am married i am not a K1 anymore and they can not give me a SSNuntil i get inmigration aproval for my new status (AKA work permit o green card).... then, yesterday at infopass office i asked about it again and they told me that i need to wait for my work permit.....

some people was telling me to go to the SSA and dont say i was already married...... personally i am afraid they will consider that fraud. i prefer to wait a little more than getting in trouble with the governement.

and yes.... it's a pain in the *** because i cant get bank accounts, driver license, etc.......

bye

K.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
well... i went to the social security office after getting married with a valid I-94 and they told me that as soon as i am married i am not a K1 anymore and they can not give me a SSNuntil i get inmigration aproval for my new status (AKA work permit o green card).... then, yesterday at infopass office i asked about it again and they told me that i need to wait for my work permit.....

some people was telling me to go to the SSA and dont say i was already married...... personally i am afraid they will consider that fraud. i prefer to wait a little more than getting in trouble with the governement.

and yes.... it's a pain in the *** because i cant get bank accounts, driver license, etc.......

bye

K.

thankyou! yeah this whole thing is confusing. Especially with the whole status changing after marriage stuff. Thanks for clearing it up for me. It seems that all the millions of places it's written about on here are all BEFORE marriage with a K1. Anyway.. thanks! Let the waiting game begin! :)

We were able to get the SSN after we got married (entered on K1). We brought the marriage certificate to show proof of name change and had SSN issued in new name. All before we had filed for AOS.

We were able to get the SSN after we got married (entered on K1). We brought the marriage certificate to show proof of name change and had SSN issued in new name. All before we had filed for AOS.

Same here. Got social after marriage... no problems.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline

Hey congrats!!

about the SSN situation....technically your fiance/e was able to get it within 2 weeks of his arrival regardless if you guys were married or not.........that's what my fiance (now husband) did, we waitined about 2 and a half weeks he applied, and they didn't give hima any problems, and he got his social.......but we did have to wait a loooooooong time (it was only 6 weeks but I'm not a very patient person) so you can try and apply, the worst they can say is No, half of the employees are unaware that a K1 can get a social before their EAD. Hope this helps :)

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Filed: Timeline
I just got married! YAY!

It should make no difference if as a K-1 you apply before or after you are married, but if you go to apply and have a problem e-mail SSA right away:

http://www.ssa.gov/feedback/

Be sure to explain that you have K-1 status, what office you are dealing with and your phone number. They are pretty good about responding within a few days.

Edited by I Quit

I just got married! YAY!

Unfortunately many K1 visa holders who are in the US now do not know that once you are married, you are out of status and not considered on K1 visa anymore. Having that said, once you are married or "out of status", you cannot apply for Drivers License/State ID as well as SSN since you are technically "out of status". I learned this the hard way, as on the day of our marriage, we went to SSA (just next door) to the city hall where we had a civil marriage, and SSA said that I could not get a SSN since I was already married. But fortunately, since we got married on the same day, they did not have a record yet, so I ended up using my maiden name to apply for the card. You can try using your maiden name if your I-94 has not yet expired. That is the route we took (thats what SSA told us to do). So I was able to get my SSN card and then change it to my married name once I got my EAD card. I wish more people knew that once you marry in the US under K1 visa, you lose your K1 status and hence are not treated like K1 but "out of status" and have no legal document presence in the US (although you are not here illegally).

Having that said, once you are married or "out of status", you cannot apply for Drivers License/State ID as well as SSN since you are technically "out of status". I learned this the hard way, as on the day of our marriage, we went to SSA (just next door) to the city hall where we had a civil marriage, and SSA said that I could not get a SSN since I was already married. But fortunately, since we got married on the same day, they did not have a record yet, so I ended up using my maiden name to apply for the card. You can try using your maiden name if your I-94 has not yet expired. That is the route we took (thats what SSA told us to do). So I was able to get my SSN card and then change it to my married name once I got my EAD card.

The SSA office that told you that didn't know what they were talking about. To be assigned an SSN or to be issued a replacement card all that matters is the I-94 is not expired or within 14 days of expiring at the time they are going to clear the application. K-1 status lasts 90 days, so you have 76 days to get an SSN or a name changed card based on the K-1 status using the I-94. If anyone tells you anything different they have no idea what they are talking about.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Like others are saying, if you have 76 days left on your k-1 visa, you should be okay. But if you do not, then you need to wait for your EAD to come in the mail. I got my SSN before marriage, and after I tried to change my name but I only had 30 days left on my k-1 so they said to come back when I had my employment card or some other documentation that shows I'm in status again.

You can still open a bank account without a SSN, provided its not a joint account (at least thats what my bank told me, but you can ask your preffered bank they may have different rules for opening an account)

Good luck and congratulations on your marriage!

K-1 Process:

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-11

Interview Date : 2008-06-11

Visa Received : 2008-06-13

US Entry : 2008-06-16

applied for SSN: 2008-07-02

SSN arrived: 2008-07-21

Marriage : 2008-08-16

AOS/EAD/AP:

Mailed AOS pkg: 2008-09-06

pkg arrived: 2008-09-08

NOA1 issue date: 2008-09-11

received NOA1's: 2008-09-15

Biometrics letter: 2008-09-18

RFE email from CRIS: 2008-09-26

Bio appt in St.Paul: 2008-10-01

Received RFE: 2008-10-01 - for w-2s and joint sponsor Birth Cert.

Mailed RFE: 2008-10-18

Case resumed: 2008-10-22

Transferred to CSC: 2008-11-03

I-485 touches: 2008-11-04, 2009-01-12

EAD approved: 2008-11-18

AP approved: 2008-11-19

EAD, AP arrived: 2008-11-28

I-485 approved: 2009-02-12

GreenCard Recieved: 2009-02-20

Like others are saying, if you have 76 days left on your k-1 visa, you should be okay. But if you do not, then you need to wait for your EAD to come in the mail. I got my SSN before marriage, and after I tried to change my name but I only had 30 days left on my k-1 so they said to come back when I had my employment card or some other documentation that shows I'm in status again.

Well you were told wrong. If you had 30 days left, you had only been here 60 days and had 16 days to go before you needed an EAD card.

You don't need to have the full 76 days to apply. You could apply of the 75th day and have the application processed if your status was verified at the time you applied and they cleared the application right away.

It's 14 days before your status expires. 90 minus 14 equals 76. That is the cutoff point for a K-1 to use the I-94.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i came here last April 18,2008 and and i went to SSN office April 21 and applying for SSN and I received that two weeks they allowed but i think not all states..I am in indiana..After married i went back to change my SSN surname but the same number again you dont have to wait that you married or change the status..

best regards,

liza

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.