Morning Sunshine

Women,does your spouse help you with finances for the visa process or are you doing it alone?

102 posts in this topic

Hello! I am the female, US citizen and he is the Pakistani citizen awaiting an NOA2. Ok, my question is did any of your spouses help out with the financial side of the visa processing or did you have to do it alone? My spouse kept telling me he would send $ to help, but he never did. He has been saying he would send $120 (which I consider a modest amount but I thought it'd be nice for him to help me atleast to show he cared) but he has not sent me one penny. I feel hurt, but I know he does not have a lot of $ in American terms. But, he did tell me he'd do it but then never does so it makes me feel he is ungrateful because I have kids and he always says I never call him, etc. But, all my $ is invested in the lawyer and this immigration process. Also, in Islam the man is supposed to take care of the woman; not the other way around. My dad says he is not a "fit" husband and that when he gets here he will want me to take care of him and he feels I have married the wrong man. So, I need advice here especially from females....because I think men are the ones paying for their wives expenses here anyway. But, for the women are you paying for your man's expenses or is helping you out? Please reply ASAP!

Mahitab :blush:

Hi Dream!

I paid for the lawyer and the I-130 fee. From here on out I am expecting my Husband to pay for the rest as I have put my portion of the money in. The way I see it as, he needs to contribute his half to be here with me! Both of our husbands are from the same country, I know money is hard to earn there, but I think he should be paying for at least half of the visa costs! And you are correct in Islam the husband should be supporting the wife! I would understand if he cant support you now, but when he gets the USA he should most defiantly support you, till then he should contribute paying for the visa, after all the visa is for him, there should be no reason why he shouldn't pay!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We were a K-1. I paid for everything in the US. He paid for everything he had to have in Jamaica. When he came and we AOS, I paid it all cause he couldn't work yet. We just filed LOC and it's definately intermingled finances now.

Oh, ok. So, it is common. Almost everyone is paying the I-130/I-129 and then the spouse makes up for it later after he arrives. Ok, I get it. Well, I just feel my spouse does not appreciate it. I will make sure he pays everything on his side because I will not be able to compensate him for all of that I still owe a retainer fee to the lawyer.

M.

hi mahitab ,

i appreciate your curtesy towards your family (husband)

iam a guy and iam a muslim,

i want to tell you something this is not advice but just my take on the problem.

i think husband and wife should not be judging each other basing on one practise at a particular point of time in life.

it would be good if you let him come here and then observe whether he does something for you when he earns

something here as you always know that affording dollars in rupees will be a little hefty for someone in pakistan.

but i definitely buy your point, there are certainly some families or family members of the guy who will always want any financial burden to be beared by the girls family and the girl which is un islamic and haram.

but as you are married to him, you have to give him a chance and time and then try to make the point to him that he is unreasonable in his thinking towards you regarding financial matters.

he may be good though in some other issues like character and respect and love towards you, but i dont think any one can come to a conclusion in a relationship like marriage basing only on one point.

so, keep your cool and pray to God.

time will be solution for everything and difficult times bring in good times always.

good luck for you.

thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

You, Mahitab, The Pakistani Original poster, I think you're messed up in the head... he's is Pakistani in Pakistan which a damn poor country, living a low quality of life. 1 USD =75.80 PKR so $355 (form I-130 fees) is like a fortune for him... you've married him and you know his financial condition.. so you can't complain now, the thing is that Pakistani women want to marry men who are financially set, so they don't have to work and make money 'cause their men are going to take care of their needs... Obviously it's hard to find a man who lives in Pakistan which fulfills this requirement, so you should've looked for a husband within the US! but here we go again, many Pakistani girls prefer a non-Americanized PAKISTANI guy, so they go and marry in Pakistan!!!

my point is it's not a shame to support your husband, someday he'll work and provide for you and the family, if you love him as you really say so support him unconditionally, stop listening to your dad or your mom or whoever is telling you he's not a FIT husband just because he's not rich....

Edited by MaxOnline

The Next Step is Removing Conditions!

0820120349b40a7377e80.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I personally agree with the statement someone made about who is equipped to pay, should.. The fees are already paid. if you cant afford the calls ect ect. You could tell him that and then make him accountable for calling you... just an idea ???

It seems a pretty common experience that the USC pays for the visa fees and then its "made up" once the spouse starts working here.

If you are already feeling resentful, you should definatly talk to him about it. A small resentment can turn into a big deal if its not dealt with. He probably feels bad enough about it, because he should be supporting his wife but cannot.

If I asked for anything, my husband would send whatever he could right away.

Talk to him :)

Lisa

Edited by Y_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I just wanted to add... I hope he doesnt see this honey.

Take a breath, I dont think he is taking advantage of you. He's probably doing the best he can.

((mahitab))

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline

Daniel paid for the lawyer fees, very expensive engagement and wedding rings, his 3 trips to India (ofcourse, in India, he stayed at home with me and I paid for the usual groceries and we both paid the going outs etc), He bought my plane ticket coz he wanted to and sent me money sometimes so I could shop :) I paid for all that I was required to pay in Delhi for the visa, I also paid the phone bills with a little occasional help from him (we worked it out so he would give me a ring and I would call him, it was a lot cheaper calling from India, was still like $1500 a month for him, cost me abt $500). We just did it together and did not think of who's doing how much. Whoever could do it, did it.

Now that I am here and pregnant too, he does not want me to work till he's back from his deployment and can spend sometime pampering me and making up for all the lost time, so he's the one taking care of everything financially. Thats how it is - Us together not him and I separate.

Edited by DanielParul

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

WOW. Lots of good reading, lots of good advice and good takes.

I think if HE says something HE should do it or explain why he's not or can't do it. Marriage is a 50-50 deal and it should be fun. Maybe not all the time but most. My wife get's anxious if we don't talk enough on the phone......it's tough on both.

I think dreamlove may be done........or at least trying to get us to convince her of that..............

Best of luck!

I-130

02-27-2008 - NOA-1

09-25-2008 - Approval Notice Sent!! (received email)

10-02-2008 - Received hard copy NOA 2 via mail[/size]

I-129F

03-03-2008 - Mailed I-129F via USPS next day service

03-04-2008 - I-129F delivered to VSC signed by P Novak at 1:50 pm

03-05-2008 - NOA-1 received in mail on 03-10-2008

09-25-2008 - Approval Notice Sent!! (received email)

10-02-2008 - Received hard copy NOA 2 via mail

NVC

10-06-2008 - Case received assigned case #

10-06-2008 - Case sent to embassy

10-06-2008 - Emailed DS 2032

EMBASSY

Embassy called my wife and set appointment for 10-10-2008 to pick up paperwork.

Appointment set for October 21, 2008 at 12pm

10-20-2008 Interview at 12pm. APPROVED!!PICK UP VISA 10-21-2008 at 3 pm

I-485 AOS

07-21-2009 - Mailed via overnigt. They received 7-22-2009 and rejected the same day.

07-29-2009 - Received rejected I-485 in the mail. (Incorrect fee's)

07-30-2009 - Mailed corrected packet overnight, they received next day 7-31-09

08-03-2009 - Received NOA for I-485 and I-765.

08-10-2009 - Received Biometrics appointment letter. Appt is on 09-02-2009 (DONE) Easy

09-15-2009 - I-765 Approved, Card production ordered

10-20-2009 - I-485 Appt Set

10-20-2009 - APPROVED!! Fast and easy 10-15 min interview.

10-21-2009 - CRIS email. Card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My husband paid the $355 filing fee for I-130.

He didn't send me money in the past. However, he has given me about $7-8k since Mar 08 to pay my medical bills and to help out after I stop working full time.

Though I have some savings and could have paid the bills myself, I asked him to help out.

I saved most of the money he gave me and used it to pay the $400 IV fee, the flight which cost $900+ one way and may also use some of it to buy souvenirs for his parents and brother. The balance will be a nice "emergency fund". I also know he would have otherwise spent on toys if I didn't ask him to give me some. :-)

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

I paid for every part of the process except when he had to get a passport, police record, marriage certificate and birth certificate which he also had to certify that added to the costs and all the mailings he does to me DHL or EMS which can all be added to over $2000.00 ETB which is $200 or up to $300. It is all worth it because he also paid for everything when I went to visit. I just can't wait to see him again. He always says that he will take care of me when he gets here but I don't feel comfortable to have him work and me rest all the time although that sounds good for couple of weeks though. Hang in there. Good luck with everything.

USCIS Journey

03/15/08 Sent I-130

03/17/08 I-130 received (USPS) (Priority Date)

06/28/08 Received NOA2 hardcopy: NO RFE FROM USCIS:101 days

NVC Journey

07/01/08 NVC case# assigned

08/14/08 CASE COMPLETE: NO RFE FROM NVC:44 days

09/15/08 Interview date assigned

Embassy Journey

10/01/08 Case at embassy

10/08/08 Document verification and got interviewed (Approved)

10/09/08 Pick up visa (original interview date)

10/18/08 P.O.E ~ Seattle

Removing Conditions

07/23/2010 Mail off I-751(USCIS received on 07/26 via usps)

07/26/2010 NOA1 date (notice received 8/2/2010)

07/28/2010 Check cashed

08/20/2010 Biometrics appt.(notice received 8/7/2010)

08/20,21,23 touched

10/22/2010 Approved NO RFE(2 months and 3 weeks from filing date)

Citizenship

10/7/11 N-400 Submitted

10/13/11 NOA date

10/20/11 appt letter sent for biometrics

11/9/11 Biometrics appt

11/11/11 Email of interview scheduling received

11/14/11 Interview scheduled and mail sent

11/21/11 Interview letter received

12/19/11 Interview date

12/19/11 passed interview and oath Finally a citizen(2 months 1 week and 5 days from sending N-400)

1heyejjs23.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Kudos to you "gogo"...you are one very supportive husband and she is one lucky wife. I wish my faincee would be like that when we are finally husband and wife. To share my unsolicited opinion, now that we are in the new millenium, men and women have the equal opportunity to bring home the bacon and support the family's financial need - with price of everything getting higher by the day. in my case, we both pay for our expenses "independently" when it comes to the successful processing of our K1 papers. He pays for the expense requirements on his side while i handle the expenses on my side. I am employed so i cover expenses that I "can" afford. I would only call for my faincee's help if i cant afford it anymore. Fortunately, i have saved little by little in the past and the money helped with my needs today. It is ideal that husbands should provide for the wives but it gives an added dignity to the wife, if she can be financially independent. I would always prefer to be financially independent because there are things that i want to do like gym membership to stay fit for my husband; and buy a few nice things for my husband; and of course for each side of our families :) Hope this helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i guess i will get hammed on this reply but i just cant help myself..........u have been to Pakistan u have seen what the country and the economy is like........about all most Pakistani have is pride.......when u marry someone from over seas from a third world country most of us not all of us but most of us know that likely hood is we will pay the fees for the visa and the process..........accounting every dollar spent does not help anything........u see if u do something for someone because u love them there is no need to tell them everything u have spent on them it makes it seem like u want them to be so thankful that u did that and want praise for it.........im sure that he would love to send u money but in reality it prolly set him and his family back a lot for ur wedding.......most families come together to provide what is needed at the moment and ur wedding was needed did u ask him how he managed to pay for it and thank him for what ever he had to go thru to make that beautiful wedding happen? How many loans did he have to take to give u that beautiful wedding?.......marraige is about giving of each other not about what one person gives and the other does not........he calls u every day.....im sure that is about five or ten dollars in our money and how much in theirs? what he spends on phone calls to u each day could feed him for two days time right?..........when he promises to send u money did u ever think that he cant refuse u and tries to find the way but just cant........its very hard for any man i dont care what country he is from to have to admit to the one they love that they cant provide what their wife needs.....u should talk to him about these things i bet there is more to what he is going thru than u know.......how would u feel if he came on the forum and said i spent this this and this on the wedding and for her air fare to help her get here and her stay and she does not even act like she cares how hard it was for me?........he loves u so he would never make u feel ashamed from what i can see from what u have written not one sentence about him stating what he has done ........but i bet it breaks his heart knowing inside what he had to do to give u what every he has while u where there and then u turn on him with out talking this thru and tell him to read what is on the forum..........i would be devastated not just angry.........

u need to talk to him about all of this but remember he also has pride and a heart..........good luck to u and i hope it all works out for u

sara

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Hello! I am the female, US citizen and he is the Pakistani citizen awaiting an NOA2. Ok, my question is did any of your spouses help out with the financial side of the visa processing or did you have to do it alone? My spouse kept telling me he would send $ to help, but he never did. He has been saying he would send $120 (which I consider a modest amount but I thought it'd be nice for him to help me atleast to show he cared) but he has not sent me one penny. I feel hurt, but I know he does not have a lot of $ in American terms. But, he did tell me he'd do it but then never does so it makes me feel he is ungrateful because I have kids and he always says I never call him, etc. But, all my $ is invested in the lawyer and this immigration process. Also, in Islam the man is supposed to take care of the woman; not the other way around. My dad says he is not a "fit" husband and that when he gets here he will want me to take care of him and he feels I have married the wrong man. So, I need advice here especially from females....because I think men are the ones paying for their wives expenses here anyway. But, for the women are you paying for your man's expenses or is helping you out? Please reply ASAP!

Mahitab :blush:

You should know the consequences before you married him.. Sometimes we can not always live in Fantasy.. we need to live in reality..

You cant expect what you believe to your other half.. If this is an issue now, what more will happen if he arrive there...? Support him maybe in the first year till he get established???

Well, maybe I am playing a devil's advocate but I am just telling the truth..

jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Thank you HoneySkin! :thumbs: haha, yeah, I gave her homework to do already.. straight from the government website for now.. US HISTORY.. starting from all the way from George Washington to President Bush.. so she can at least learn more new words.. sometimes she gets frustrated (especially at the beginning), but I always try to encourage her.. tell her that as long as she learned 1 new word.. even if it takes a whole day.. her level just went up.. besides, no one knows all the words in the dictionary by heart.. that is why there are substitute words for almost everything.. =) a lot of things mean the same thing, so it's easier (not like Chinese).. well, anyway, her english has improved a lot these last few years (with me teaching her when I get home from work at night).. we sit on the webcam and just talk through the lesson.. going over the hard vocabulary words and everything else she doesn't understand.. I find pictures or descriptions on the web and we just go over what she learned..

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/histryotln/

(takes her about 2-3 days per chapter).. that's fine, as long as she is improving.. if she only just learned 1 new word, I say to her: "that's one more than yesterday, so it's worth it"....I know that she will improve really fast once she gets here.. but I want her to be prepared for life and also the school here as well.. besides, our (and everyone else's) family will depend on TWO PEOPLE, not just one.. so I will take the burden for now (govt job and everything so I'm good).. and I will "train" and help her to become the second pillar.. :dance:

Kudos to you "gogo"...you are one very supportive husband and she is one lucky wife. I wish my faincee would be like that when we are finally husband and wife. To share my unsolicited opinion, now that we are in the new millenium, men and women have the equal opportunity to bring home the bacon and support the family's financial need - with price of everything getting higher by the day. in my case, we both pay for our expenses "independently" when it comes to the successful processing of our K1 papers. He pays for the expense requirements on his side while i handle the expenses on my side. I am employed so i cover expenses that I "can" afford. I would only call for my faincee's help if i cant afford it anymore. Fortunately, i have saved little by little in the past and the money helped with my needs today. It is ideal that husbands should provide for the wives but it gives an added dignity to the wife, if she can be financially independent. I would always prefer to be financially independent because there are things that i want to do like gym membership to stay fit for my husband; and buy a few nice things for my husband; and of course for each side of our families :) Hope this helps.
Edited by gogo

I-130 STAGE 1 : 533 days - 1 year 6 months (4/16/2007 to 9/22/2008)

Priority Date I-130 : 4/16/2007 ( 533 days , APPROVED 9/22/2008)
Transferred to local office based on "security checks" : 11/27/2007
wrote hundreds of letters - received letter from FBI Records Management Chief stating no security checks
local office interview : 2/21/2008 - brought my parents too (result : you will get approval within 2-3 weeks)

5/2/2008 - (lawsuit) Writ of Mandamus - OFFICIAL DATE (7/29/2008)
9/22/2008 - CALL AND EMAIL COPY OF APPROVAL NOTICE FROM LAWYER

NVC STAGE 2 : 99 days - 3 months (9/30/2008 to 1/7/2009)

NVC Received : 9/30/2008
Received Packet 3 (I-864/DS-230) : 11/10/2008
NVC says "RFE sent out 12/9/08 for missing documents" : 12/10/2008
CASE COMPLETE - 1/7/2009

CONSULATE STAGE 3 : 96 days - 3 months (1/8/2009 to 4/14/2009)
CLEARED CUSTOMS - 3/10/2009
**APPOINTMENT DATE : 4/14/2009, 7:15AM**
** BLUE SLIP **

AP STAGE 4 : 97 days - 3 months (4/14/2009 to 7/20/2009)
DOS call to receive I-601 (Waiver of Grounds for Inadmissibility - basically denial) from Guangzhou : 6/24/2009

REMOVAL OF I-601 due to my letters to the USCIS Director, Michael Aytes: 6/29/2009
CALL-IN LETTER NOTIFIED : 7/8/2009
CALL-IN LETTER (APPROVAL)!! : 7/16/2009
ALL DONE!! (got both GREEN CARD & SSN CARD) : 10/1/2009

"http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/194075-feel-like-a-cr-1-csc-castaway/page-60" (pages 53-63) for more updates and letter I wrote to Director Michael Aytes and his replies and back and forth..

HER PARENTS - 10 months so far

I-130 Sent In : 1/7/2013

I-130 Approval : 3/28/2013

Transfer to NVC : 6/12/2013

Case Complete : 8/25/2013

"Ready for Interview" (Ready to wait for 1-3 Months, this is official NVC letter transfer date) : 9/9/2013

DHL Tracking : arrived 9/24/2013

P4 Letter : 11/21/2013

Interview Date : 12/9/2013, originally 12/3, stupid lawyer filled out her dad's passport number wrong..

Interview Passed : 12/9/2013

Visa "Issued" on CEAC : 12/10/2013

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Thank you HoneySkin! :thumbs: haha, yeah, I gave her homework to do already.. straight from the government website for now.. US HISTORY.. starting from all the way from George Washington to President Bush.. so she can at least learn more new words.. sometimes she gets frustrated (especially at the beginning), but I always try to encourage her.. tell her that as long as she learned 1 new word.. even if it takes a whole day.. her level just went up.. besides, no one knows all the words in the dictionary by heart.. that is why there are substitute words for almost everything.. =) a lot of things mean the same thing, so it's easier (not like Chinese).. well, anyway, her english has improved a lot these last few years (with me teaching her when I get home from work at night).. we sit on the webcam and just talk through the lesson.. going over the hard vocabulary words and everything else she doesn't understand.. I find pictures or descriptions on the web and we just go over what she learned..

http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/histryotln/

(takes her about 2-3 days per chapter).. that's fine, as long as she is improving.. if she only just learned 1 new word, I say to her: "that's one more than yesterday, so it's worth it"....I know that she will improve really fast once she gets here.. but I want her to be prepared for life and also the school here as well.. besides, our (and everyone else's) family will depend on TWO PEOPLE, not just one.. so I will take the burden for now (govt job and everything so I'm good).. and I will "train" and help her to become the second pillar.. :dance:

Hey, Gogo, stray a little from the thread, I just want to share with you a program that helped me to improve my English. I have also used it to help other ESL learners, adults and children. It's called "Spell to Write and Read"

More info here: http://swrtraining.com/

You can talk to the webmaster Liz FitzGerald or the author Wanda Sanseri, both of them have used the program for adult ESL learners.

No, I don't get a kickback telling you about the program. :-)

Leah

USCIS

03/15/08 Mailed I-130 package

07/17 I-130 package delivered to Chicago lockbox

03/26 NOA1 received (Priority date 03/24/08)

04/18 Touched

06/05 Expedite request on humanitarian ground (medical emergency)

06/16, 06/17, 06/18, 06/19, 06/20 Touched

06/28 Received RFE dated 06/23

06/30 mailed RFE express mail to CSC

07/02, 07/03 Touched

07/08 07/09 Touched. "RFE received & processing resumed"

07/11 Congress aide found out I-130 was approved on 07/09!!!

07/17 NOA2 hardcopy dated 07/09

07/21 Approval notice hardcopy dated 07/11 I-130 was approved in 116 days from filing date (expedited).

NVC

07/15 NVC received and assigned case #

07/16 Emailed expedite request & supporting documents

07/17 DS-3032 and AOS fee bill generated, Emailed DS-3032.

07/21 Received DS-3032 & AOS fee bill hardcopy.

07/24 NVC approved expedite request

US Consulate

07/31 Package arrived at US consulate

08/01 Was told to pick up packet 3 on 08/04

08/04 Req packet 3 send by mail.

08/09 Received packet 3

08/11 Returned packet 3

08/15 Picked up packet 4 & medical check up

08/28 Submitted civil docs & paid $400 IV fee. Visa Interview & approved !!!

08/29 Visa in hand

09/30 POE IR1 visa interview took 166 days from the I-130 filing date (expedited).

10/04 Applied for SSN in married name.

11/11 Welcome notice received (dated 11/04)

11/15 Received Green card.

11/21 2nd Welcome notice received (dated 11/13)

11/24 Received SS card in maiden name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.