68 posts in this topic

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
not the friends place to decide or tell me what to do ...

Who says they are though?

Actually, I am referring to your statement above.. In international relations, friends turn into enemies and vice versa.

I don't agree with GWB's unilateralism and could well understand the antipathy that exists in the world toward Bush. But that does not mean we have to heed what other are purportedly thinking (according to this poll and the article which is a thinly veiled attempt to sway opinions of American voters) )into our own election dynamics.

As for me, I don't give a diddly squat who they want us to elect as POTUS.

Obviously their vote for POTUS matters not, however, it makes sense to vote for someone who will actually get along with other nations. Learning from history's past, the more people you piss off and attack, the more you heighten your chances of not lasting very long, and find yourself constantly in a tiresome fight unnecessarily. You also put yourself in a position, economically, to be squeezed out.

It isn't much longer now until we share the "superpower" status, so the less we focus on building bridges and making friends, the greater the chances are of other, more hostile or influencing countries of forcing policy changes by coercion. Two nations already do this -- Saudi Arabia and China. Bush's tough talk on China is just that -- talk. And, of course, having a much larger stake in this economy, Saudi Arabia doesn't even get the tough talk, Bush just flat out openly kisses their ### and holds their hands like a dog with it's tail between it's legs for it's master. Quite embarrassing.

The big mistake people make is refusing to actually understand why these countries might be upset, just like if another country is pissing us off, we probably try to get them to understand why. Part of any relationship or partnership or friendship in general is the willingness to take criticism and learn from your mistakes. Evidently some hard-liners want to mix that up with others voting for us, which is an excuse for setting one's self up for a conflict rather than bringing an understanding and mutual listening on both sides. You lead by example, not lead by force.

Your point is well taken.

But this thread is about an article titled: "World wants Obama as president: poll"

The implied message is: to regain friendship of those countries, Americans should vote for Obama. I presume that's what folks are responding to on this thread.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I'm interested, purely because I will be moving to the US next year.

:lol: Yeah I moved here just in time to see the last election and the re-election of W. Surely a booby prize if ever there was one ;)

That's called learning fast.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:lol: Yeah I moved here just in time to see the last election and the re-election of W. Surely a booby prize if ever there was one ;)

My wife apologised :P

Timeline

My wife apologised :P

:yes:

On behalf of those of us that tried, sorry.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As Thompson said: "We need a president who doesn't need to say I'm sorry to the rest of the world"

Dumb A$$

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

This is the response I expected. America's standing among its allies, let alone the rest of the world, is apparently of no consequence to these people.

when what america think affects their elections, then i'll pay heed to what they think of our elections.

in case you didn't get the memo, it's the american people voting, not other countries.

Wait, so if you choose to get along with your friends, it's your friends making the choice for you to get along with them? How does that work?

no wild tangents while i'm having lunch, thank you.

It isn't the other countries trying to "Spread Democracy", so, being a good leader means listening to people and trying to get along with them to set an example. Not telling them "#### you, listen to me or 'lalalalalala' *plugs ears*". :wacko:

I wonder what kind of arrogant person doesn't listen to voices abroad when it comes to foreign policy, a big part of these elections, when our foreign policy directly affects them. No better results than the opinions of who we directly affect today.

it's a wild azz comparison. what may be your friend today may well be your enemy tomorrow. that is precisely why america shouldn't heed outside voices trying to influence our politics.

So very true Charles. Enemies are not often borne by spontaneous generation, and if, during an election year, one side can claim that electing the other side would essentially bring more enemies to us, then that side definitely is taking into account what the rest of the world seems to opine about our policies. Which, surprise, surprise... affects us.

For example...

cheney,-bill-thomas-ss.jpg

touche! (yeah, I know it's a ##### french word, but it fits)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
As Thomson said: "We need a president who doesn't need to say I'm sorry to the rest of the world"

Dumb A$$

I think after 8 years of "#### you" we at least owe one "I'm sorry". ;)

One?? Man, we literally have been flipping the finger to the world and are proud about it...

No wonder the Euro is kicking our a$$es and is going to make us its puppet

But hey, I guess being a "Maverick" is what counts...

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Timeline
Of course they love Obama, he is going to give away the store.

Yeah! All our candy will be gone and we'll die!

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Will be interesting to see if the world's opinion changes, regardless of who is voted in.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Actually, I am referring to your statement above.. In international relations, friends turn into enemies and vice versa.

I don't agree with GWB's unilateralism and could well understand the antipathy that exists in the world toward Bush. But that does not mean we have to heed what other are purportedly thinking (according to this poll and the article which is a thinly veiled attempt to sway opinions of American voters) )into our own election dynamics.

Obviously their vote for POTUS matters not, however, it makes sense to vote for someone who will actually get along with other nations. Learning from history's past, the more people you piss off and attack, the more you heighten your chances of not lasting very long, and find yourself constantly in a tiresome fight unnecessarily. You also put yourself in a position, economically, to be squeezed out.

It isn't much longer now until we share the "superpower" status, so the less we focus on building bridges and making friends, the greater the chances are of other, more hostile or influencing countries of forcing policy changes by coercion. Two nations already do this -- Saudi Arabia and China. Bush's tough talk on China is just that -- talk. And, of course, having a much larger stake in this economy, Saudi Arabia doesn't even get the tough talk, Bush just flat out openly kisses their ### and holds their hands like a dog with it's tail between it's legs for it's master. Quite embarrassing.

The big mistake people make is refusing to actually understand why these countries might be upset, just like if another country is pissing us off, we probably try to get them to understand why. Part of any relationship or partnership or friendship in general is the willingness to take criticism and learn from your mistakes. Evidently some hard-liners want to mix that up with others voting for us, which is an excuse for setting one's self up for a conflict rather than bringing an understanding and mutual listening on both sides. You lead by example, not lead by force.

But this thread is about an article titled: "World wants Obama as president: poll"

The implied message is: to regain friendship of those countries, Americans should vote for Obama. I presume that's what folks are responding to on this thread.

That's not the implied message at all. As the OP, I'd have to say to the extent there's any implied message it is this: a) U.S. standing in the world has been severely damaged by Bush (and I have traveled extensively abroad in the last 8 years to witness it). B) What the rest of the world (especially our allies) think of us matters. A lot. It is not and should not be a determining factor in deciding how to vote, but it is 1 factor ... and, under the circumstances, a pretty important one.

Timeline
Will be interesting to see if the world's opinion changes, regardless of who is voted in.

With one this supposed opinion will already know what is coming and continue to think of us voters as 'tards while with the other the potential for having some kind of political intelligence returned to our image is of course, available.

That's not the implied message at all. As the OP, I'd have to say to the extent there's any implied message it is this: a) U.S. standing in the world has been severely damaged by Bush (and I have traveled extensively abroad in the last 8 years to witness it). B) What the rest of the world (especially our allies) think of us matters. A lot. It is not and should not be a determining factor in deciding how to vote, but it is 1 factor ... and, under the circumstances, a pretty important one.

To the draconian viewpoint that there are always people out there that hate us 'just because' that is not important.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

everybody should vote for Obama. American citizens, forget about what we need, do what people accross the country want. Vote Obama!!

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline