9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Here's our situation.

3 weeks after entering the US we went to the Social Security Office to apply for my SSN. We were told that my information wasn't in the verfication system yet and that we should come back once we're married and to bring the marriage certificate along. So today I went back to the SSO with all the docs, just to find out that my information is still not in the verfication system.

Any suggestions or advise from VJers in a similar situation is greatly appreciated (starting to worry that all my info got lost).

Thanks!!

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

You can still apply. They will do a manual verification. If your info isn't automatically in yet,it probably never will be. So you might as well just have them manually verify it. It can take up to 8 weeks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied 3 weeks after I entered, and my info wasn't in the system, so I did the manual verification anyway. took 2 1/2 weeks to come in the mail. After the marriage, we went in with the certificate to change my name, and the same thing happened then as well.

K-1 Process:

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-11

Interview Date : 2008-06-11

Visa Received : 2008-06-13

US Entry : 2008-06-16

applied for SSN: 2008-07-02

SSN arrived: 2008-07-21

Marriage : 2008-08-16

AOS/EAD/AP:

Mailed AOS pkg: 2008-09-06

pkg arrived: 2008-09-08

NOA1 issue date: 2008-09-11

received NOA1's: 2008-09-15

Biometrics letter: 2008-09-18

RFE email from CRIS: 2008-09-26

Bio appt in St.Paul: 2008-10-01

Received RFE: 2008-10-01 - for w-2s and joint sponsor Birth Cert.

Mailed RFE: 2008-10-18

Case resumed: 2008-10-22

Transferred to CSC: 2008-11-03

I-485 touches: 2008-11-04, 2009-01-12

EAD approved: 2008-11-18

AP approved: 2008-11-19

EAD, AP arrived: 2008-11-28

I-485 approved: 2009-02-12

GreenCard Recieved: 2009-02-20

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you have not submitted an application, you best get up of your chair and get back to SSA, as you have only a few more days to apply for a SSN (on or about 9/16/08) or you will be SOL until EAD arrives.

If this verification cannot be completed before the expiration of the application window you are SOL. You may be already as they may not be able to do it in a week!

YMMV

Filed: Timeline
Here's our situation.

3 weeks after entering the US we went to the Social Security Office to apply for my SSN. We were told that my information wasn't in the verfication system yet and that we should come back once we're married and to bring the marriage certificate along. So today I went back to the SSO with all the docs, just to find out that my information is still not in the verfication system.

Any suggestions or advise from VJers in a similar situation is greatly appreciated (starting to worry that all my info got lost).

Thanks!!

Why do they keep doing this to people? They tried to tell me the same thing. Well, first they told me I could not apply because I was K-1, then I showed them the print out and politely told her that she was misinformed. Then they told me it would take 30 days for his I-94 to show up in the system. I told her I wanted to speak to someone who knew what they were doing. Got the card in 2 weeks.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Here's my experience

I arrived USA on 28 Feb and gotta apply SSN 'cuz I wanted to apply driver license. So I applied SSN on 13 Mar (see my signature). I walked into the office on Wed in late afternoon to ask if I could apply it. The lady at the window on that day said "Yes" and asked if I wanna apply. I thought it's kinda late and the office would be closed soon. We already know I could apply so we would be back tomorrow with the completed form. The next day we went back to the same office and met the new lady at the window. We submitted the completed form, passport and marriage certificate. She checked from computer and told me I couldn't apply it. I am ineligible with some bazarrrr reason. We looked at each other. What?!?! My husband asked her for the letter to explain why I am ineligible so that we can use that letter at the DMV ( DMV said if I can't get SSN, ask for the letter to show them.) The lady at the SSA said it's not her duty to write the letter. Then we asked for the yesterday lady at the window because she seems to know better than her about this situation. As she explained us very well why I could apply SSN right away as K1 visa holder yesterday. Luckily that lady was at the office on that day. She remembered us too. She told her colleagues that I could get SSN and opened the USCIS website to show them...They read together!!! And they just know what to do!!! Huh!! Then today lady apologized us and said that she hardly worked with the immigrants so she didn't know about this. The lady who knew this well because she used to train her work at the office where many immigrants always contacts....and blah blah blah After that she was nice to us. We went there on Thur. She gave me the letter and told me to bring it here next week ( Mon ) if I want to know the number before the card arrived, she would hook it up from her computer for me. What a nice service!!!

Edited by korat2michigan

.png

K1 AOS Timelines

04 Oct 07.....Get a K1 visa

28 Feb 08.....Arrive USA (SFO, CA)

04 Mar 08.....Marriage Registration

16 May 08.....File AOS Application to Chicago

18 May 08.....Package was received

27 May 08.....NOA ( I-485,I-765)

30 May 08.....NOA ( I-131)

04 Jun 08.....Receive biometrics appointment

13 Jun 08.....Biometrics appt at Grd Rapids at 10 a.m.

09 Sep 08.....Get Welcome Notice by mail

13 Sep 08.....Receive Green Card by mail

REMOVING CONDITIONS

16 JUL 10.....File I-751 to CSC

19 JUL 10.....Package was delivered

23 JUL 10.....Receive NOA (Date of NOA 07/19/10)

02 AUG 10.....Receive biometric appointment

10 AUG 10.....Biometric Appointment at USCIS Grand Rapids, MI (8:00 am)

More info....I also have a friend who went to SSA and applied for SSN with her husband's last name. Her info was not in the system. But when she applied with her last name then the system could find her. Before she applied this, she was told to change to K3 after she got marriage. (She came with K1)....What a mess!!! But she didn't follow her stupid advice. She went back again at the same office to meet the new officer. And she could apply it. Do u believe this?? ( Her office and my office is not the same one...But it seems they have the similar officers around there.) Watch out!! hahaha

.png

K1 AOS Timelines

04 Oct 07.....Get a K1 visa

28 Feb 08.....Arrive USA (SFO, CA)

04 Mar 08.....Marriage Registration

16 May 08.....File AOS Application to Chicago

18 May 08.....Package was received

27 May 08.....NOA ( I-485,I-765)

30 May 08.....NOA ( I-131)

04 Jun 08.....Receive biometrics appointment

13 Jun 08.....Biometrics appt at Grd Rapids at 10 a.m.

09 Sep 08.....Get Welcome Notice by mail

13 Sep 08.....Receive Green Card by mail

REMOVING CONDITIONS

16 JUL 10.....File I-751 to CSC

19 JUL 10.....Package was delivered

23 JUL 10.....Receive NOA (Date of NOA 07/19/10)

02 AUG 10.....Receive biometric appointment

10 AUG 10.....Biometric Appointment at USCIS Grand Rapids, MI (8:00 am)

Here is Our Story:

1) Feb 2008 -Tried at SSA when she arrived using I-94 (no luck -we were told wrong birthday at SSA) called State Senators office and spoke with an Immigration Official - he said that was unlikely that it was true.

2) March 2008 - Tried again, brought marriage license etc. all required paperwork -(no luck -we were told wrong birthday at SSA again) marriage license didn't help.

3) Late March 2008 - Made an Info Pass Appointment - we were told we wasted our time driving there.....all info including birth date.......were correct at USCIS. AND USCIS said that they are both on the SAME computer system (USCIS/SSA) because its government related. And when Jenny arrived everything was placed into a SAVE and would not have been changed.

4) April 2008 - went back to SSA and we were told that our I-94 had expired and we would need our EAD. Told them what USCIS had said about the same system and they seemed dumbfounded.

So we waited..... :whistle:

5) Recieved EAD, next day August 12th, went to SSA and just today received SSN/Card.

All the while, ALL of our documents were clearly up to date and precise, no errors. Exactly what they had requested EACH and EVERY visit. Thank God it is over....

Edited by DavidandJenny

David & Jenny

Removing Conditions

5-24-2010 - Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center via USPS (receipt/signature required)

5-25-2010 - Delivered to Vermont Service Center & Signed For

6-1-2010 - I-751 Receipt Notice Received in Mail (dated 5/26/10)

*time Passed

7-30-2010 - Biometrics date: August 13, 2010

8-13-2010 - Biometrics Finished

*time passed

8-30-2010 - email received 'card production ordered'

8-31-2010 - touch (updated on uscis as approved)

9-4-2010 - Received 10yr Green Card ** Now we relax **

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.