Kirsten UK

Learning to Drive - UK or US??

39 posts in this topic

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of west Texas on the I-10 has an 80mph speed limit -- driving through there was really, really good fun (not that I went above 80 or anything. Much.). :whistle:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I only started to learn how to drive when I was 31 in the UK and since my first time drive in the US last year I realised I never had to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road :D I've never seen so many well behaved drivers in Seattle either. The only thing I get really confused with is when I drive in and out of a Walmart car park or a really big shopping mall car park..there are no markings or lines or anything and I get bad faces :devil: one thing I will miss is car language like flashing your light at another vehicle to okay them to get in front of you..most if not all Americans consider this to be road rage. I laughed my a$$ off when I was told that :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I never drove back home either, well not officially. I only started driving here when I was 26 - 27. I noticed that well.. drivers at least in Florida appear to be more aggressive than they appeared back home. Like you said, flashing your lights isn't good, beeping is seen in a negative way and there are few if any good drivers out there that actually use indicators, don't speed or use their mobile while driving. Even the cops will drive around talking on their phone and not indicate! I really hate how a lot if not most drivers speed up when the light turns orange! I really miss how the pedestrian was normally respected back home here the pedestrian is ignored! I've almost been run over using a "cross walk" and looked at like I was an idiot for being in the road?

It's not all bad you eventually get used to driving and being defensive on the road... still don't think it's not a good thing there are little or no roundabouts over here. I've seen so many people drive the wrong way though the roundabout or found everyone stopped.. looking at each other like it's a 4 way stop :lol: God to think they allow some of these people to drive in Europe?

Edited by aidan80

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Ah yes, the famous Florida driver!! I argue with my OH who's from Miami that the drivers are worse there than here in LA. He said that when we moved here he had to get used to all the pedestrians!! There were hardly any in Miami, and this is LA, it's hardly a walking town. :lol:

The UK Wiki

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you drive already I think you pick up driving in another country after about a couple of weeks. When I visited Bahrain, where the driving is very scary, I drove an automatic on the other side of the road for three weeks, both of which were a first for me, and by the end of it I was a natural.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

sorry! wrong thread!

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

• 4 months later...
Ahh Just learn to drive in US otherwise :rofl:

Are you ok there? :unsure:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.