Kirsten UK

Learning to Drive - UK or US??

39 posts in this topic

Hi, we have just filed our I-129F and once it is approved I will move from the UK to NC, USA. I can't drive at all, never had any lessons and will definitely need a licence just to get to work etc once I arrive. My question, should I cough up for the huge expense and learn to drive now in the UK (bearing in mind different sides of road/rules etc??) or wait until i'm in th US to learn the way I will actually need? Also, anyone ever started learning to drive in the 30's?? I know i'm a late starter :lol:

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, we have just filed our I-129F and once it is approved I will move from the UK to NC, USA. I can't drive at all, never had any lessons and will definitely need a licence just to get to work etc once I arrive. My question, should I cough up for the huge expense and learn to drive now in the UK (bearing in mind different sides of road/rules etc??) or wait until i'm in th US to learn the way I will actually need? Also, anyone ever started learning to drive in the 30's?? I know i'm a late starter :lol:

I am one of those who learn to drive in my late 30's :lol: I have never drove a car or a bike before. I had attended Driver's Ed ( 30 hrs classroom and 8 hrs behind the wheels) with all 15-16 yrs olds...

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

Well, Kirsten, I know two who didn't learn driving till they were in their 40's or 50's:

• my late mum, who got her licence @ age 48 in 1986
  • Lily Daniel (wife of my "spiritual father" Joshua Daniel) who got hers @ age 50--though her second son had nagged her to do so long prior

Also, is it possible for you to make a trip to Canada and do the driver-training there: it may be cheaper than UK (can't say, I haven't checked driver training prices there since 1981), and you won't need to adjust sides.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I would wait til you get stateside. It would probly be cheaper and why would you want to get confused and end up driving on the wrong side. If I ever go to the UK I will use public transport. There's no way I would even risk trying to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Wait till you get to the States. I am another late learner (mid-30s), so you are not alone! I started taking lessons in the UK when I was in my late 20s) and it was a total, unmitigated disaster. I was trying to learn how to drive a manual car in West Kensington/Fulham and between the speed humps and the London traffic and all the shifting I couldn't figure it out. I assumed I was one of life's non-drivers. I started to learn properly when my husband I would take a holiday in the States, and I'd have access to an automatic. Well fancy that, I could drive! I just drove coast to coast with my husband this summer, having had my licence for about 4 months at that point.

Save your money and wait till you get here. Lessons are much more affordable, and it's amazing how quickly you can pick it up.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

I'm in the same situation. I'm waiting till the USA cos I will want to take some lessons there either way, due to the different rules ECT. Plus you still have to take a driving test there anyhow because there's only so long you can drive on your international. Its been 8 yes since I took a lesson and now I'm 26

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Its good to know i'm not the only one, most people look at me like i'm some sort of freak when I tell them I can't drive :jest:

I'm just worried how long it will take me to learn if I leave it until I get over to the US.....I may need to drive on the interstate to work and will need to feel confident.

Its good to know i'm not the only one, most people look at me like i'm some sort of freak when I tell them I can't drive :jest:

I'm just worried how long it will take me to learn if I leave it until I get over to the US.....I may need to drive on the interstate to work and will need to feel confident.

Judging by the info I have found and if I'm reading I correctly. You can get your learners permit on k1 status but you may have to wait till green card or when your documentation for residence is valid for more than 90 days to get your full :unsure: licence.

Homer Sez:

Increase your wordiness,

Boudoir:

Where a French guy does it.

Our full time line is in our story on our profile.

K1

04-30-2008.......I-129F POSTED

05-01-2008....NOA1 (Touched 05-04-2008, Touched 04-07-2008)

09-23-2008....NOA2 Approved(See below for receipt of actual NOA2 and update in the USCIS System***)

01-13-2009....INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

02-18-2009....POE (LAX)

04-09-2009....WEDDING

AOS

06-12-2009.....AOS,EAD and AP Fedexed.

06-15-2009.....Signed for by J.CHYBA

06-18-2009.....NOA1 dated for AOS/AP/EAD

06-19-2009.....Check cleared

06-23-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD/AP

07-20-2009.....phoned helpline to report no biometrics appointment sent, Service request generated.

07-25-2009.....Recieved biometrics notice (generated on the 22nd june) for the 08-19-2009.

07-30-2009.....Did early walk in biometrics.

07-31-2009.....Touched AOS/EAD

08-06-2009.....Generated interview notice(received 08/10/09)

08-10-2009.....EAD/AP Approved

08-19-2009.....***NOA2 (Finally received after 6 Phone calls, 11 months late) :)

09-09-2009.....Aos interview.(APPROVED)first card production email

09-12-2009.....Welcome Notice Received.

event.png

rmq4qx3kup.png

Filed: Timeline

Count me in as another over-30 who may try to get a DL for the first time in the US. Though I took driving lessons for some time when I turned 18, for some reason or the other I didn't pass the driving test, and finally I gave up. I've never been very interested in driving anyway, and driving here in Rome is not for the faint-hearted. I've used public transport all my life, and I know I have saved quite a lot of money because of that! Anyway, I'll be moving to the outskirts of Washington, DC, in an area well served by public transport, which will make things easier for me at least at the beginning. Ah, and I'll turn 48 in December... My late mom got her license at the age of 40, and she was a very keen driver too!

OK, lets get some prospective here -- UK tests are much harder than that in the US, but there are a few things that are different.

In the UK if you take your test in an automatic you are limited to an automatic only, you can not drive a manual (stick as it's known here in the US). Now this is different here, if you take the test in the US using an automatic you are not restricted, you can drive either an automatic or a stick, now here comes the bit that I find strange -- if you pass the US test in an automatic, how on earth can you drive a stick if you have not had any lesson on how to change gears etc !

Anyway, the test in the US is easy, take it from me, I was a motorcycle instructor in the UK, and found that the UK has the hardest test for any type of transport.

If you plan on learning to drive (never driven before and still live abroad), hold it off and do it here in the US, it will be a walk over.

Once you have passed your test in an automatic (these are more common here) and you find your going to need to learn to use a stick, it should not be a problem.

Edited by Ian + Anne

I am 42 and will learn to drive for the first time once I get Stateside....I thought about starting here but decided just to wait.

I would definitely wait until you get the US before learning to drive, it will be so much less confusing! I learned to drive in the UK and passed my test at 17 (my uncle is a driving instructor, so not much choice on the matter in my family! LOL) and then moved to the US and got married at 24 - it was a very confusing experience having to start driving on the "wrong" side of the road! The US test is sooooo much easier than the UK, didn't even take ten minutes - just a quick trip around the block really!

Good luck! :)

01/10/05 - Arrived back in US

01/26/05 - Got Married! WooHoo!

02/14/05 - Had Medical Exam

02/22/05 - Filed for AOS in Seattle, in person

03/31/05 - Got EAD!!

04/02/05 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

05/19/05 - AOS Interview - awaiting decision...

08/24/05 - (conditional) Permanent Resident

09/08/05 - Passport stamped in Seattle

09/19/05 - Recieved actual Greencard! YAY!!!

05/24/07 - 90 days to remove conditions starts!

06/02/07 - Filed I-751, California Service Center

08/09/07 - Biometrics and Fingerprinting

08/28/07 - I-751 Approved & conditions are removed!

09/12/07 - Recieved 10 year Greencard! YEAH!!!

*now contemplating N-400 and citizenship*

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi KirstenUK,

Personally, I would recommend you learn to drive in the USA instead of the UK, as it would be less confusing for you as you wouldn't need to learn a new set of rules and driving on different sides of the road once you are here. It's too bad though in your situation, that the UK doesn't offer an exchange with the US as if that were the case I would recommend you learn in the UK first. Despite that, you can always read up on the rules of the road here in the USA, so you'll be more prepared when you do learn to drive here.

"And if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

For more information you can start here: http://www.dmv.org/

Just find the state that you're moving to in the USA to find more specific info about your local dmv.

Besides, it's a lot easier to drive here in the USA and from what I've heard, easier to pass the driving test here. Wish I had took the driving test here in the USA instead, as it took me forever in Canada to pass the driving test on their bureaucratic graduated licensing system up there. Luckily, when I came to the USA, they automatically transferred my Canadian license to the US one, so that saved me a lot of worries there.

"It's never too late to learn or start anything in life!", so you shouldn't have to worry about learning how to drive later on in life. If it makes you feel any better, I knew/know of many people who learned to drive later on in life, and even I learned a bit later than the minimum age of 16.

Actually, I think older drivers are better drivers, as they are able to make more informed, safer, and non-peer pressured decisions on the road. :star:

Good luck with your future driving in the USA and your immigration journey.

Ant (Driving in the USA...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I was taught in the local high school parking lot by my parents. Study your state's driving manual and have your USC teach you how to drive.

As for driving with a stick Ian + Anne...well you just tool around a parking lot until you figure it out! My first car was a stick, and believe me for the first week of driving it I must have been a frustration for anyone following me as I killed the engine at almost every stop. But you just catch on...I actually prefer driving a stick to an automatic...it gives me delusions of being a race car driver!

wtf-picard.jpg

Well, I guess its worth waiting until I get there to learn, you have all pretty much stated what i've thought - it'll be easier and cheaper to do it it NC - just means I have to pass before I can start work, the hospitals I could possibly work in are 20-45mins away in the neighbouring areas, thanks everyone for your advice! :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.