Kirsten UK

Learning to Drive - UK or US??

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm yet another never-driven-before-learned-once-I-got-here people. I got a deal with a driving school. The first day they took me to get my learners permit, I had 5 lessons, by the 4th I was on the highway, and the end of the 5th was my test. The test was the easiest driving of all. The main difficulty that I had was that I wasn't familiar with the way that the road system works and the fact that the signs and signals were not where I was used to. I think that would have been made worse if I was already used to driving in the UK, no habits to try to unlearn.

The UK Wiki

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I'd wait. After 10 years driving in the UK I have picked up so many bad driving habits and now I need to take a test again. My spacial awareness is thrown totally off and I keep stamping on the floor looking for the non exsistant clutch having driven a manual for the last 10 years!!!

MY TIMELINES

K1

06/21/2007 - petition mailed....finally

07/09/2007 - NOA1 (hard copy 07/11/2007)

11/13/2007 - NOA2...127days after filing (hard copy 11/17/07)

12/22/2007 - packet 3 rec. (12/28/2007 returned)

01/11/2008 - medical (allergic to tetanus shot, requirement waived)

02/05/2008 - interview @ 10am - APPROVED!!!!!!

03/12/2008 - Flying Glasgow - Dublin - Chicago - Omaha

05/31/2008 - WEDDING

AOS

07/31/2008 - AOS and EAD finally mailed

08/02/2008 - Delivered

08/08/2008 - Check cleared

08/11/2008 - NOA1's for AOS and EAD recieved (reciept date 08/07/2008)

08/16/2008 - Biometrics letter recieved

09/09/2008 - Biometrics at 1pm, Omaha

09/26/2008 - AOS transferred to CSC

09/29/2008 - AOS touched (took out envelope at CSC and put in new pile)

10/03/2008 - AOS touched (probably that RFE coming soon!!!!)

10/06/2008 - AOS touched AGAIN!!! (surely it's an RFE)

10/15/2008 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!!YEY!!!

10/27/2008 - EAD IN HAND

01/12/2009 - AOS touched

01/26/2009 - Email from CRIS. GREENCARD PRODUCTION ORDERED..YIPPPPEEE

ROC

10/25/2010 - ROC mailed

11/15/2010 - NOA1 and check cashed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi Kirsten. Where in NC will you be living? I see that your local office is in Charlotte, is that where you'll be?

I just spent a week driving around Charlotte and I can tell you that it is the best place I've ever driven in - much better than MA! I found the signs and road markings very user-friendly and the roads never seemed to be very busy, no matter what time of day it was. I'm sure they have a rush-hour but it wasn't anything compared to what I'm used to.

I'd also say wait until you're in the US to learn and if you'll be driving round Charlotte it'll be a breeze. :thumbs:

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
I'd wait. After 10 years driving in the UK I have picked up so many bad driving habits and now I need to take a test again. My spacial awareness is thrown totally off and I keep stamping on the floor looking for the non exsistant clutch having driven a manual for the last 10 years!!!

Lol. I had the same problem but in reverse. When I lived in Germany I tried and failed to learn how to drive a standard. At least they drive on the right side of the road though. However, I was still a danger to myself and others trying to work the clutch. I was especially scared when I had to come to a stop on a hill and another car was behind me. I'd nearly cream my pants. Standards just don't make sense to me in stop and go city driving.

Edited by Hoomsfuturewife

Hi Kirsten. Where in NC will you be living? I see that your local office is in Charlotte, is that where you'll be?

I just spent a week driving around Charlotte and I can tell you that it is the best place I've ever driven in - much better than MA! I found the signs and road markings very user-friendly and the roads never seemed to be very busy, no matter what time of day it was. I'm sure they have a rush-hour but it wasn't anything compared to what I'm used to.

I'd also say wait until you're in the US to learn and if you'll be driving round Charlotte it'll be a breeze. :thumbs:

I'll be living about 30 minutes outside Charlotte, but i'll need to work in Charlotte or Hickory for my kind of job, so driving is essential - i've noticed that the roads seem far less congested than over here, people drive alot slower too :blink:

If you want to learn to drive - do it in the UK

If you want to get an easy license and know how to make the car move - do it in the US

I believe that the US testing system is way tooooo lenient and that causes many bad drivers on the roads.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

If you want to get an easy license and know how to make the car move - do it in the US

I believe that the US testing system is way tooooo lenient and that causes many bad drivers on the roads.

There are plenty of bad drivers in the UK too, but using manual at the start makes learners that much more dangerous and unpredictable on the road. I still say learn where you will actually be driving. You'll only have one set of rules in your head rather than 2.

The UK Wiki

I think for me it would be safer to learn there, simply because I have spent the last 32 years as a 'backseat driver' and mentally know how to drive over here, ie, I know the road rules and it seems second nature, however, from being a passenger over there, trying to figure out what to do is not easy, especially at multi-lane junctions....I think I would end up turning/crossing a junction and driving into the wrong lane!! Thats what freaks me out the most...driving along their country lanes doesn't bother me at all, its the city traffic that i'm most concerned about. Anyway, i'm still waiting for our NOA1, I can see i'm becoming obsessive about this already :devil:

There are plenty of bad drivers in the UK too, but using manual at the start makes learners that much more dangerous and unpredictable on the road. I still say learn where you will actually be driving. You'll only have one set of rules in your head rather than 2.

The only set of rules in the US are "There are no rules....." Do as you please as long as you piss off at least 3 people on your journey!!!

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
driving along their country lanes doesn't bother me at all, its the city traffic that i'm most concerned about.

Have you done any driving on gravel/dirt roads? That was one thing that impressed me about the UK...even the back roads were paved (at least up where my husband is from).

wtf-picard.jpg

I haven't had any lessons at all....I mean, driving on wide roads with next to no traffic won't phase me once i've learnt but keeping my head together in rush hour traffic over there fills me with dread.....i've never driven in the UK, I honestly have never needed to, I use public transport all the time.

I am not sure that there are many roads in the US with not much traffic!!

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I would say definitely wait until you are in the US before you take driving lessons. I passed my manual test eons ago at 17 in London, but still had to take the driving test here in the US which was in an autmatic car. The UK test is far more difficult than the US one. The first question on my test here in the US was "what is your name?", with four options on how to spell my name ???!!!. Seriously, I got a point for getting my name right. My driving test was driving around the DMV car park, exiting onto a quiet road, stopping at a STOP light, and then returning to the car park. Seriously, a trained baboon could have done it. Also, as someone mentioned before, you only have to pass an automatic test here and then can buy a manual car if you want to ?? Strange but true. If you are moving anywhere near DC, heaven help you. The drivers are terrible. God only knows how they passed a test. A few weeks ago the rain was fairly heavy and people pulled over to the side of the road because "they couldnt drive in rain". One guy was brave but ended up driving the wrong way down a road heading straight for me. Twit. Good luck !

Eh, you haven't been in "flyover country" much then.

In states such as MT, SD and ND traffic is so light that it is not unlikely that cops called for a highway accident might first assume there is bad-blood between the two drivers.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Eh, you haven't been in "flyover country" much then.

In states such as MT, SD and ND traffic is so light that it is not unlikely that cops called for a highway accident might first assume there is bad-blood between the two drivers.

In some areas of Montana there is no speed limit. They'll have a night time speed limit but otherwise the signs posted say that you can pretty much drive as fast as you like.

1367671229_01c75f8ce1_o.jpg

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.