KevandKiki2

Advice on Resume please

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

KevResume2.docHi Folks,

As you may or not be aware...Kik and I have a baby on the way. The pressure is severe now to find a position to take care of her and the baby :(

I don't understand it..I have a good resme..At least I thought it was but maybe not :help:

The temptation to pop back to Canada short term is pretty strong since working for Canada Post I could eliminate debt pretty damn quick. ( I took a year leave from my position with the intention of quitting once I foud something here)

Of course..with a pregnant wife this is hardly an option.

2 things are really an uphill climb I think..the fact that went from Management to working for CPC as a Letter Carrier..I make no apologies..it was something I have always wanted to do and got it out of my sysem..having thoroughly enjoyed it :yes:

Now I feel it is time to let go and no..not apply to the USPS...However, this is difficult for me to translate to employers I think when they look at my rez and think "he was doing what in Canada?

The second problem is that I have a business degree but it is 10 years old..is it still viable?..I constantly keep up to date with the latest Business and Management books so I am not dated in my opinion..Course employers might thnk otherwise :help:

I am looking for a decent paying position in Management or otherwise in the Oregon area and appreciate any insight you have..good or bad..regarding my rez and possible changes

I typed out the name and phone number just in case I *&&^ off someone on VJ and can't remember :D

Thanks for your time everyone..appreciate you taking the time.

The document is Word2000.

Best,

Kev

Maybe you'll know when you've seen it

Maybe if you say it you'll mean it

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kevin ...

your resume in itself looks fine. you may need to expand the area in which you are willing to work OR the areas in which you are currently looking for employment.

i would also send out as many resumes as possible ... one of them will catch someone's attention soon enough.

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

Kev -- I'd flesh out you profile section, since it's the first thing people will likely ready. I'd add in some of your career accomplishments, showing how you have demonstrated those qualities. Maybe even merge those 2 categories together under one heading. I'd also make it more focussed to the kind of job you want. I'd also accompany it wih a very concise and targeted cover letter

AS for the post office -- I'd address that honestly in a cover letter, because some people will wonder about that if you are trying to go back into business management. I once hired a girl who had done badly on her exams for an entry level position. I probably would had put her resume in the circular file because of that but she specifically addressed it in her letter and I admired her being upfront about it instead of trying to bullsh*t me. Turns out she had other great qualities that didn't come across on paper.

Signed,

robinklake, formerly of the USPS

90day.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the input folks...I have suspected it is not quite u to snuff but appreciate the insight you guys have provided. I posted this on off topic as well...Nordic got right to the point :D

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150

Feedback good or bad will help me..so feel free folks..

Best

Kev

I think the thing you have to remember is that the person looking at your resume probably read 100 resumes that day -- you gotta stand out and you have to get to the point.

Since, I have been that person before, I know I scan -- I would look at something like profile or job accomplishments first. I also do read the letters -- nothing annoys me more than someone who's put no effort into thinking about the job they are applying for and just send out some generic letter. Also, if the letter isn't well written and compelling I put it in the reject file -- if someone can't write a letter convincing me why they should be hired how are they going to convince someone of their ideas on anything else once hired? For me, the letter is almost as important as the resume.

90day.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

It's a good start. Some issue I saw:

(1) From your post, it was not clear what positions you are applying for -- if you expect employers to figure this out for you, you will be waiting for a long time. Either include an "Objective" statement -- what functional area you are looking for a job in, or (if applying for a particular job) include the position name.

(2) The resume seems fluffy & overblown, with not enough substance, ESPECIALLY, when after the bullet on "key leadership role" your first job listed is a letter carrier! This will definitely raise a few eyebrows. So I would keep your achievement to very concrete and tone done the big words, like "key leadership role".

(3) Kill the section where you describe your "attributes" (excellent communicator, etc) -- it too vague and does not add much. What I did for my resume was creating a section "Key Skills." When applying for a job, I would look at the job description and would list out the skills that matched what the employer was looking for. So each of my resumes were "custom" to indicate I was a good fit for the position, but the degree of customization was manageable, so I would not have to rewrite my resume every single time.

BTW, you mention "3 months" in your post. 3 months since when? Can you clarify?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I just posted in you other thread but it's gone for some reason.

Anyway, I think your resume needs some work.

1. Start with an objective statement that a)states what job you're applying to and b)explains why you would be a good choice.

2. Get rid of the profile, the qualification section and the career highlights

3. Instead move the education section up and add major qualifications, such as language and computer skills and whatever else might qualify you for the job

4. You don't need to include your interests.

5. Make sure that your resume fits the job you're appplying to. So make sure to add or delete relevant sections.

6. Keep the resume to one page. Employers don't like to look at more than one page unless your work experience section is extensive.

An excellent explanation of writing resumes and other job search materials can be found here: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/564/01/

If you look at the navigation bar on the right side of the page, you'll find additional info on resumes, such as what to include in each section, and cover letters under job search writing.

Good luck!

Edited by Fischkoepfin

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Filed: Timeline

Ok, here are my opinions on your resume.

First, the font is terrible. I suggest Arial, it's easier on the eyes. And avoid italics, hard to read .. you need to make this easy on the eyes.

Starting off with a Summary is a GOOD idea, IMO, for someone in your position. However, I'd rather see it in narrative form. For example, "20 years experience in blah, good communicator and proven problem solver, blah blah blah". All thsoe points you have in there are good, but turn it into a 3-4 sentence narrative. And keep all sentences short! Running sentences are bad for hiring managers with short attention spans. Thats also why the resume should be pleasing to the eye.

Career highligths.. I have mixed feelings on this one. Part of me thinks the points should be worked into the job descriptions. But maybe that's not such a bad idea, if it all works into one page.

Fisch is right about interests - that is not necessary. But IMO education should stay on the bottom. In resumes for experienced professionals, it is pretty unimportant (unless you're looking to work in the academic world, where they are pretty snobby about things like that.. then it should be up top).

Good luck. Have you gotten in touch with any headhunters?

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

I'm taking notes...excellent feedback so far..Now I'm getting a better picture..The idea here is that I started out in Management...finished a degree....became a planner and then I got sick..rellay sick..knocked me out for a looong time emotionally...Testing for MS....lots of good stuff..nothing...I ended up working for CPC because I couldn't handle a stressful position after having a major viral insult on my neurology....

I am unsure as to excactly what position I want and don't want to eliminate myself for other possible positions existing with a firm by stating a one or two word objective....hence the summary.

I want to get across my transferable skills and business education while downplaying the Letter Carrier bit....Chronological is obviously out..but I have not been thrilled with the functional formats I have seen..

Hybrid perhaps...Actually I only added Interests for a Nike position..they prefer it...Should I explain my Letter Carrier bit in the Cover Letter or have a "no apologies necessary" approach as I was well appraised for my customer service and other skills..

I don't feel like I should be made to apologize or feel like it for accepting a different short term direction but maybe.. :help:

Thanks again for the input so far... :D

Best,

Kev

Kev,

Apologize for nothing. Do not be defensive.

As for format, you'd be surprised at how "out of touch" with resume formats most hiring managers are. All they want is a resume that tells them whether they want to talk to you or not, in 2 minutes or less.

So don't worry about formats or whether it fits the chronological or any other mold.

You get one page and 2 minutes. Be creative.

Edited by Agent Smith

Timeline

Thanks AS....I was leaning that way towards no apologies as in this day and age we all have a highly diverse background..well..a lot of us... :D Thanks again for the input bud..

Best

Kev

is 'mold' your new word today, ari!?! :P

and this is just a general resume question ... are 2 page resumes really that bad? mine is and i've never had issues with it ... although, i haven't had a reason to send too many out. :whistle:

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

and this is just a general resume question ... are 2 page resumes really that bad? mine is and i've never had issues with it ...

Depends on the work culture, I'd imagine. You give a manager where I work (IT shop) a 2 page resume, he will still only look at the first page and decide to read the rest later. However, there are places (I assume) where people have the time and inclination to read it all. A 1 page resume is a safe bet in Kevs case.

and this is just a general resume question ... are 2 page resumes really that bad? mine is and i've never had issues with it ...

Depends on the work culture, I'd imagine. You give a manager where I work (IT shop) a 2 page resume, he will still only look at the first page and decide to read the rest later. However, there are places (I assume) where people have the time and inclination to read it all. A 1 page resume is a safe bet in Kevs case.

makes sense!!! thanx

~Winston Churchill~

Hi,

There is an excellent book to read:"What size is your parchute?". As you will read, the less efficient job hunting method is to go through ads in the newspaper or in the internet. There are many other ways to find employment, which many people don't often think about.

I will pass it to my colleagues who do the recruiting and see what they think. I work in a "headhunter" co. specialized in the banking and finance sector (unfortunately I am not in charge of recruiting and I can't recommend people). Keep in mind that recruiting agencies will try to match your profile with the closest available job description. In you think of a career change, don't knock at the door of recruiting agencies.

A resume is sort of a blueprint of your talents and your personality. To help you, take a look at resumes on-line (monster.com, hotjobs, etc. ) preferably in your field

- Start by your most recent work history

- Indicate your dates of employment, the name(s) and address(es) of your last employers(s)

- Indicate your function(s) and title(s)

- Support your arguments (skills, accomplishments) with evidence/numbers

- Proofread your resume (have someone in your entourage read it for you)

- Don't use too many abbreviations unless you are in a very specialized field where everyone knows what you are atlking about (i.e. ISE, NYSE, NASDAQ, etc.)

- Don't make it so disorganized that the recruiter must figure out things for himself

- Don't lie

Don't feel discouraged. I'll be asking for advise and will get back to you ;)

Sometimes I think I know everything, and I regain consciousness. Seen it all, done it all, forgot most of it....

So much plenitude, yet so much emptiness

everest-summit.jpg

The Journey, Part I: I-129F (K-3)

I 129F sent to Chicago 11/14/05

NOA1 12/14/05, received by snail mail 12/23/05

NOA2 01/17/06, received by snail mail 01/20/05

Received Packet "3" 02/17/06

Medicals done in Nairobi 03/22/06

VISA APPROVED in Nairobi 03/30/06

Husband arrives ni USA!

The Journey, Part II: EAD and AOS

EAD mailed to Chicago 05/17/06

horserun.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.