KevandKiki2

Advice on Resume please

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks Satisfaction..appreciate you passig it along. I've read a ton of resume books..Martin Yates and the like...Of course what one likes..the next hates and so on...I think Agent might be right in just making it my own and stop tryig to adapt it to what I think they want...Let me know Sat. what they say...

Thanks everyone for their thoughts..

Best,

Kev

Maybe you'll know when you've seen it

Maybe if you say it you'll mean it

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I really appreciate you bringing this up Kevin, and being the initial guinea pig. :) I am currently re-evaluating my resume and wondering "what the heck is wrong with this thing", so I appreciate all the info and comments here. I had 3 different people look at my resume and say it's good, but it never hurts to gain more advice. :) thanks everyone.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Since we are talking resumes, I decided to post mine, recently updated. I followed the guidelines from the resume workshop I attended at the local job center, and then had it reviewed by the career counsellor there. They commented it was a really good one, for a marketing resume, in being very specific and results oriented. It almost looks like a functional resume, since I was with one company for so long.

I got my current job through my former manager, so a good resume is in no way a guarantee of a job. I did apply to about a dozen jobs from monster.com, and got 1 interview (no decision yet and it's been 30 days!) and two more recent call backs. You can see it's taking a LONG time to find a job through the internet.

Resume_kc456.pdf

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Timeline

Firstly you need to be positive without being pretentious. Tell them why your skills matter.

Even the most seemingly 'ordinary' of jobs can be described in a very interesting way depending on how you go about it. Tell them what your responsabilities were.

Companies love people who can supervise/develop/take charge/work with a team/work independently/etc etc etc

Hell you can even use the immigration process to your advantage. I did and it got me a job after one interview.

Also very important is the cover letter. Be engaging. Be positive. Don't use the old cliches - they will see them everyday.

Don't worry so much about how the thing looks, just make sure that the content is compelling and that it is easy to read.

In the interests section put INTERESTING interests, not the usual 'like to read, run, watch movies' you might as well not bother. Also, if your interests are exciting/stimulating then say how those interests reflect on your working aptitudes.

If that doesn't work then prove your interest in an area of work by taking a night school class...take a lower level position - sure you will be paid less and you may not like the job title, but if you prove yourself you shouldn't have any trouble moving up. I've been promoted already and I've only been in my job for 3 months. My husband has been promoted 4 times in the last year. It's all about getting your foot in the door.

Timeline

Hey everyone....thanks for the ideas....no problem Cas :D I knew there would be good feedback from folks here...How did you add the Visa part into it Britbird? Cover Letter? Lemme know..

Best,

Kev

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

3 months and counting -- what did you mean here, Kevin?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Filed: Timeline

Since you say "three months and counting", I take it you started your search during the last quarter 2005. The last quarter is always a difficult time in terms of raising interest with potential employers. Too many hiring freezes out there during that time. The beginning of the year (February and forward) is usually a good time when the hiring freezes are finally lifted. Get back into the game and make as much contact now with potential employers as you can!

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Timeline

Yep..that's what I meant...about 3 months plus since coming here and nothing yet :(

Thanks for the observations ET..yer rez looks good kc..Hey Nordic..you about?

Best,

kev

Yep..that's what I meant...about 3 months plus since coming here and nothing yet :(

Thanks for the observations ET..yer rez looks good kc..Hey Nordic..you about?

Best,

kev

yeah i am about -- i just was making some notes for you - on your resume - i was also thinking yu might want to try reformating it some -- the white space seems wrong to me - and play with fonts some..

i was trying to email you attachement(resume notes) - but i cant see how to do it in VJ mail

August 2003 met my sweet viktoria online

January 2004 feeling the love..heart.gif

November 2004 Really wanting to meet

August 04, 2005 first moments together St Petersburgdance.gif

August 11, 2005 Proposed marraigehearton.gif

Sept 12, 2005 129f received at TSC mail.gif

Sept 16, 2005 NOA1 received From CSC

Oct 26, 2005 date i had expected to receive my NOA2

(past now with this forever july 7 issue new expected -never)

well maybe not -i expect in about 4 months

Nov 14 NOA2

Dec 7 Sent to embassy

Jan 17 interview - got visa!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The book Satisfaction refered to is actually called What Color Is Your Parachute?, and it is indeed very helpful.

My concern with your resume is that there's a LOT crammed into a small, small space. Either cut down what's in there, or space it appropriately and use two pages. Mine is a two-page resume, and I didn't have too much trouble getting a job. I will post it when I'm not quite as busy at work as I am right now!

:)

Make sure you're wearing clean knickers. You never know when you'll be run over by a bus.

Timeline

Thanks everyone..I'm still changing things..looks more like a hybrid with transferable skills now...Not there yet but I hope I'm going forward..My good buddy Nordic thought I should put my Associate Degree in Science on it..but I'm worried about dating myself at 40 :( Graduated in 1989 so..Wonder what you folks think..? Iam not looking for a Science related position BTW...business...

Best

Kev

NewKevResume3.doc

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

Put it in. It shows that you have many different talents and are a versatile person. Your age shows anyway because of the date of your business degree, so it won't change anything in that respect. And if you get the impression it does, sue the prospetive employer. Age-discrimination is illegal.

Btw, your resume is much better now. Still a lot of words on a page, but it's going in the right direction. You might want to consider putting some of the info in your cover letter. It's usually a good place to highlight your strengths and that will unclutter your CV even more (No need to be repetitive).

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

I know it's been mentioned above, but I just wanted to highlight the resources available at your local employment dept (DOL).

I just attended an "Advanced Resume Writing" workshop led by a professional career coach/resume writer. It was completely free and they give a ton of material for you to take away as well as offer constructive criticism of your resume.

They also offer "Ace The Interview", "After the Interview", "Job-hunting Network Clubs" and so on.

I think it's also important to point out the value of a really plain text resume and to see if you can try to ascertain which software they intend to view it with. I was told mine was very good for a first "US resume" and I have an interview this afternoon (yikes!)

Good Luck with your job-hunt!

PS) Absolutely list your degree -it's valuable US currency :)

Friendly UK/USA Expat & Repat Forum

here

Timeline

Thanks for the thoughts...I actually left off A post degree Certificate In HR Management 1997 which I only include for HR positions that Ilike..Employee Relations or Training and Development....Othewise they probably think its unrelated to the position....I want to keep the net broad so to speak...

Best,

Kev

Hey Jim..sent you an e-mail bud...hope all is well with the arrival...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.