Eric-Pris

Need advice: Buying tix for kids

10 posts in this topic

My wife and I are going back to her home country in November to pick up her daughters (ages 3 and 5).

I'm not sure how to book their tickets. Obviously, my wife and I will buy round-trip tickets (USA-CR). It's no letting me book tickets for the girls because kids under 11 have to be accompanied by an adult. You can't buy a child's ticket without an adult on the same itinerary. It's not letting me buy just 2 child tickets.

Can somebody that has flown back to pick up their kids tell me what they did.

Thanks

Hmmm it is very tricky situation. As far as I know, no airline would let you buy tickets just for them. I think the best thing to do is to go to the airline office and explain the situation with all evidence about the kids. Good luck

Adjustment of Status

18 July 2008 - AOS package sent to Chicago

21 July 2008 - Delivered at 8.38am, signed by R. Mercedo

24 July 2008 - Checks cashed, NOA sent for I-485, I-130, I-765 and I-131

28 July 2008 - NOA received in mail, applied for State ID

29 July 2008 - Case viewable online

04 Aug 2008 - NOA for Biometrics (sent July 30)

20 Aug 2008 - Biometrics done

23 Aug 2008 - Received State ID card, valid for 4 years

05 Sep 2008 - Received new corrected State ID

24 Sep 2008 - AP and EAD approved

04 Oct 2008 - EAD in the mail

05 Oct 2008 - AP in the mail, applied for SSN

07 Oct 2008 - Job interview

10 Oct 2008 - First day at work

20 Oct 2008 - Social Security card in the mail, got my first paycheck

11 Dec 2008 - Passed driver's knowledge test

24 Dec 2008 - Notice for interview

19 Feb 2009 - Interview

27 Feb 2009 - Welcome letter - APPROVED

06 Mar 2009 - GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Removing of Conditions

03 Dec 2010 - I-751 sent to California

06 Dec 2010 - Package received

08 Dec 2010 - Check cashed

16 Dec 2010 - NOA in the mail, dated 12/06/2010

24 Dec 2010 - Biometrics notice received, dated 12/17/2010

14 Jan 2011 - Biometrics

01 Mar 2011 - APPROVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Once you have booked your own ticket, ring/ visit the airline's office and they should be able to add the kids' one way tickets to your itinary.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
Once you have booked your own ticket, ring/ visit the airline's office and they should be able to add the kids' one way tickets to your itinary.

Yea, but at what cost? I had to throw away a perfectly good return ticket. It was cheaper to book new tickets for everybody than to get them on my flights. Obviously, this depends on airline, phase of the moon, etc.

I agree that perhaps a travel agent might be your friend this time...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. The travel agent is a good idea.

I was also thinking that maybe I could buy a round-trip for my wife, but she would not use the return ticket. Instead, we would just buy her a whole new RT ticket, along with the girls. This way she will be accompanying them (on the same itinerary) so I can buy them RT tickets for the kids, instead of one-way. RT ticket costs $360. One-way is $747. :blink::blink::blink: I don't get it either.

The cost of 2 RT tickets and 2 one-way tickets = $2214. The cost of 2 RT tickets, then 3 RT tickets= $1800. Like chuckb said, it's cheaper just to buy a whole new ticket for my wife along with the kids, instead of one-ways for the kids.

One problem that I see though is.... if her original ticket and new ticket is for the same airline and flight, would the airline give us problems?

I know nobody here is an travel expert, I'm just looking for advice. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was also thinking that maybe I could buy a round-trip for my wife, but she would not use the return ticket. Instead, we would just buy her a whole new RT ticket, along with the girls. This way she will be accompanying them (on the same itinerary) so I can buy them RT tickets for the kids, instead of one-way. RT ticket costs $360. One-way is $747. :blink::blink::blink: I don't get it either.

The cost of 2 RT tickets and 2 one-way tickets = $2214. The cost of 2 RT tickets, then 3 RT tickets= $1800. Like chuckb said, it's cheaper just to buy a whole new ticket for my wife along with the kids, instead of one-ways for the kids.

One problem that I see though is.... if her original ticket and new ticket is for the same airline and flight, would the airline give us problems?

book the RT that you intend to toss on a different flight on a different day much later in the future... problem solved

YMMV

book the RT that you intend to toss on a different flight on a different day much later in the future... problem solved

:thumbs: good idea!

It seems like such a simple solution, yet I never even thought about doing that. Question... can you have a return ticket for a later date, and travel in between?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

:thumbs: good idea!

It seems like such a simple solution, yet I never even thought about doing that. Question... can you have a return ticket for a later date, and travel in between?

The practice of "back-to-back" ticketing is discouraged but that was done when airlines required a Saturday night stay.

Your itineraries will be different. Your record locators are different. They probably won't see the connection.

In addition, since you can book flights up to 350 or so days in advance, it is plausible that you have already secured passage for next summers visit to grandma's house.

I would go with a travel agent.... take out all the mystery...

YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

I figured out a way.

I had frequent flyer miles, so I was able to book 2 tickets for the girls using miles + taxes ($30). It wouldn't let me book them alone for regular tickets, but award tickets it did. Then I bought 2 tix for my wife and I. Total cost = $840 + some miles I didn't really want to hold onto anyway. We saved about $1,500 versus buying them one-way tickets and $1,000 versus my other plan to double-book my wife.

Btw, the travel agent I called sucked. She told me to call the airlines again and try to resolve it with them.

Edited by kid brooklyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.