Muh and me

Frustrating Mena Men

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am so frustrated right now, i could scream. Well I did-at him. Kamal has had his temp. driving permit here for months. He drove in Morocco, and has only tried to drive here. He comes up with every excuse in the book not to drive. I tote his azz back and forth all over, work, where ever. I feel like a taxi service. Today he got behind the wheel and went to start my car and i thought he was gonna blow the engine!! :angry: Saturday he came flying down the driveway (short one) without looking and if there was someone walking could have killed them. He acts like a stupid little kid. I could teach a 10 year old better. There is nobody here that can or has time to teach him. We can't afford (and he wouln'dt pay) for driving lessons. I don't know what to do. I yelled at him all the way to dropping him off at work, and went to work in tears. :crying: . HELP!! What the heck can i do?

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I can relate to the frustration your in. The problem is breaking him of his bad driving habits that he acquired in Morroco. If you don't have the money to spare for driving lessons - and - it is too stressful for you to teach him, then it is imperative you find a friend to be his driving coach. Maybe rereading the driver's handbook at the same time would also be beneficial.

If he still keeps up with his dangerous driving habits, knowing the laws and knowing how to operate a car safely, then the next step is the morgue tour. It's a program of taking young kids to the morgue to show them people who have died in car accidents. It helps discourage them from driving recklessly.

Timeline
I can relate to the frustration your in. The problem is breaking him of his bad driving habits that he acquired in Morroco. If you don't have the money to spare for driving lessons - and - it is too stressful for you to teach him, then it is imperative you find a friend to be his driving coach. Maybe rereading the driver's handbook at the same time would also be beneficial.

If he still keeps up with his dangerous driving habits, knowing the laws and knowing how to operate a car safely, then the next step is the morgue tour. It's a program of taking young kids to the morgue to show them people who have died in car accidents. It helps discourage them from driving recklessly.

he doesn't think he is driving badly!

08/24/2011 Biometrics

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

My own husband had never driven at all in Jamaica. When he was ready to drive, I made him stay in nearly empty parking lots on Sundays only for months. After that, I wouldn't let him drive on anything but small non-busy streets for another few months...mostly on Sundays too. To get him on the highway, I only let him drive on Sunday mornings before 6 a.m. Slowly he progressed to better times and busier streets. To parellel park, we took laundry baskets on a street full of closed businesses on a Sunday and made him park between. Before he took his driver's test, I hired a driving instructor for 2 hours (2 hour minimum....$120) to make sure I taught him properly and didn't miss anything.

This is one of these things you have to argue your points and make very clear to him. If he damages your car, some else's property, and/or someone....maybe even kill them, this will be very hard, if not impossible to get over. You have got to make him understand the importance of this. If you can't do it, find someone who can. And, if you must, hire someone neutral to do it. This is every important.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Surely he sees the differences from Morocco...they are slightly (crazy) drivers there....we stay in our own lanes etc etc...i would definatly save for the lessons...let a man be his teacher and he will see how it is here.

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Timeline
Surely he sees the differences from Morocco...they are slightly (crazy) drivers there....we stay in our own lanes etc etc...i would definatly save for the lessons...let a man be his teacher and he will see how it is here.

i'm just ready to call it quits and don't care if he ever gets his frickin license

08/24/2011 Biometrics

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Perhaps he doesn't realize that our driving laws are enforced. You could always let him know that. It's not that places like Jordan, Egypt, Morocco, etc don't have laws or the same laws.. it's that the enforcement is different. We stay in line because we are more apt to be ticketed for one thing.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

i'm just ready to call it quits and don't care if he ever gets his frickin license

You want to keep driving him around? That gets so annoying.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

I nearly had a heart attack the first time I drove in Dubai. I know I pissed off a bunch of Arabs with how slow I was driving. People in the ME drive like a bunch of teenage nutters on a rampage. I would shake I was so scared at how recklessly everyone was driving and my fiance would just laugh. After a month however, I was road-raging with the best of them.

I'm not sure how he'll drive in the states. That's a ways away though.

I made photocopies of all the tickets my friends at work got for stuff like no seatbelt, speeding, weaving, etc. and showed them to Ahmed. I think that made him realize the seriousness of it.

Also (and Im not saying this is a good idea) I let him loose on the Interstate. He was pretty convinced he knew all about driving, so I decided to let him excercise his knowledge. Where we used to live there was a 2-3 lane Interstate with enough hustle and bustle to really scare the sheet out of him. I think that also helped him realize American drivers dont appreciate Moroccan driving tactics.

He's a much safer driver these days. Although, I did have some patience when it came to teaching him how to drive, but I think that's only because I come from a long line of teacher. You might try one of the online defensive driving courses to help him understand the rules of the road. Ive also seen online driver's ed courses, but that's for Texas.

And dont feel bad, my DH wouldnt touch the driver's manual with a ten foot pole until the last minute.

Timeline

He made me drive the first day i was in morocco. He misplaced his licesne. I was so scared the way they drive there. i refused to drive anymore. After i came home he conviently found his license. grrrrrrrr, men. I'm not gonna drive his but around forever either. He may have to walk like he did in Morocco!

08/24/2011 Biometrics

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Timeline

Not everybody is cut out to drive. My daughter, Jessica, had drivers ed like all kids do. Well, she froze up. Her teacher called and told me if she did not get behind the wheel and drive he would give her an F every day. I said 'ya know what, if she is afraid to hurt someone by her driving, I think you should be happy she is being honest." Well, she got an F and had to do 2 hours of step aerobics back to back everyday..lol.

She's now 31 still not driving. So, maybe he is not a driver. He's a rider. Nothing wrong with that.

jJ

My husband never drove in England. Now all he's done here is drive up and down our driveway and around an empty parking lot. He just really has no clue. He was sitting in the car the other day waiting for me to get in to drive down the driveway. When I go in he said "Did I start the car because I'm not sure I turned the key far enough." "Umm do you hear the engine running? Cause I don't" But I have to be nice about it and show him how to start the car for the hundreth time. He also has no confindence in himself. He's convinced he won't pass his test and he's going to kill himself or someone else. He's been here 3 years. It's hurting him finding a job because nobody in my family, including me, can drive him back and forth to a job. Patience is all I can say. I must have a lot of it. Otherwise I'd have choked him a long time ago!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
I made photocopies of all the tickets my friends at work got for stuff like no seatbelt, speeding, weaving, etc. and showed them to Ahmed. I think that made him realize the seriousness of it.

I'm lucky I didn't actually have a single issue with Ammar on this-- he got it when i just told him... but... I did bother to tell him that we get tickets for things and he believed me. Your approach is what i was talking about. I think sometimes maybe they don't think things are enforced-- just like at home.

I admittedly drove a few times in jordan and it didn't bother me... but... I only drove once on the highway and then the other times were short drives in Irbed. I tried to avoid driving not for any other reason than it's an imprisionable offence without your Jordanian or valid international DL.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I am so frustrated right now, i could scream. Well I did-at him. Kamal has had his temp. driving permit here for months. He drove in Morocco, and has only tried to drive here. He comes up with every excuse in the book not to drive. I tote his azz back and forth all over, work, where ever. I feel like a taxi service. Today he got behind the wheel and went to start my car and i thought he was gonna blow the engine!! :angry: Saturday he came flying down the driveway (short one) without looking and if there was someone walking could have killed them. He acts like a stupid little kid. I could teach a 10 year old better. There is nobody here that can or has time to teach him. We can't afford (and he wouln'dt pay) for driving lessons. I don't know what to do. I yelled at him all the way to dropping him off at work, and went to work in tears. :crying: . HELP!! What the heck can i do?

Take away his keys and act like a taxi until you can save up for driving lessons. It's cheaper than lawsuits for a bad accident, and saves on insurance, too. Problem solved!

Edited by Virtual wife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.