Turboguy

If you are or have been in an International Marriage

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Didn't like it being called Mail Order Bride.... Did not take the survey because of it's wording...

There have been some big discussions about the term Mail Order Bride. I can agree that none of us who have a cross cultural marriage like that term. My own wife was one who objected the loudest.

To be effective, this survey MUST collect a very large number of respondents. To accomplish that, they wanted the widest possible coverage. The cold hard reality is that it is a term those who critisize us use is Mail Order Bride. Actually if you go past the opening line everything after that is "Cross Cultural Marriage Survey"

I can say for a fact that even the guys who created the survey don't like the MOB term. It is just something that people recognize. There was a desire to incite the feminazi crowd who create so many problems for those in a cross cultural or international marrige to jump all over this.

The bottom line is - they need respondents - a LOT of them. With enough, there is no way any one group can manipulate the results - and that is the objectivity they seek.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

For anyone who prefers I have attached a Hardcopy of the survey. It may be downloaded and completed manually, then faxed in to record results.

Cross_Cultural_Marriage_Survey.pdf

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Didn't like it being called Mail Order Bride.... Did not take the survey because of it's wording...

There have been some big discussions about the term Mail Order Bride. I can agree that none of us who have a cross cultural marriage like that term. My own wife was one who objected the loudest.

To be effective, this survey MUST collect a very large number of respondents. To accomplish that, they wanted the widest possible coverage. The cold hard reality is that it is a term those who critisize us use is Mail Order Bride. Actually if you go past the opening line everything after that is "Cross Cultural Marriage Survey"

I can say for a fact that even the guys who created the survey don't like the MOB term. It is just something that people recognize. There was a desire to incite the feminazi crowd who create so many problems for those in a cross cultural or international marrige to jump all over this.

The bottom line is - they need respondents - a LOT of them. With enough, there is no way any one group can manipulate the results - and that is the objectivity they seek.

Since you explained it that way.... I'll try it again!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Is it just for Russian marraiges?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
There was a desire to incite the feminazi crowd who create so many problems for those in a cross cultural or international marrige to jump all over this.

They do? How so? And why is there desire to incite them?

ditto... feminazi???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
There was a desire to incite the feminazi crowd who create so many problems for those in a cross cultural or international marrige to jump all over this.

ditto... feminazi???

From goodwife.com:

On the other side of this issue is the position taken by the radical feminists. Also known as "feminazis" for their attitudes and position regarding the roles of the man and the woman in a relationship. These "ladies" love to further their agenda with tales of horror regarding Mail Order Brides. They also want a man to be sensitive to their needs and desires to the point of losing everything about him that makes him a man. Here is a version of this "guide" written by one of those women.

What I like about this, or rather what I find funny in a sad pathetic way, is how she basically says to pretend to care and listen to the man who she supposedly loves and wants to spend her life with as a way to further her agenda in having, getting more, and maintaining all control of the relationship. When I read this kind of "opinion" I am further convinced in my decision to get as far away as I can from this type of woman who has become the norm rather than the exception in our Western society.

Timeline

ditto... feminazi???

From goodwife.com:

On the other side of this issue is the position taken by the radical feminists. Also known as "feminazis" for their attitudes and position regarding the roles of the man and the woman in a relationship. These "ladies" love to further their agenda with tales of horror regarding Mail Order Brides. They also want a man to be sensitive to their needs and desires to the point of losing everything about him that makes him a man. Here is a version of this "guide" written by one of those women.

What I like about this, or rather what I find funny in a sad pathetic way, is how she basically says to pretend to care and listen to the man who she supposedly loves and wants to spend her life with as a way to further her agenda in having, getting more, and maintaining all control of the relationship. When I read this kind of "opinion" I am further convinced in my decision to get as far away as I can from this type of woman who has become the norm rather than the exception in our Western society.

Good grief... :wacko:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If the people coordinating this survey are trying to incite "feminazis," they certainly don't sound like very good qualitative researchers.

I personally have my own opinions about Mail order brides and pay-to-date Internet sites, but I don't think I'll share.

And that goodwife.com site is terrifying!

Edited by GabachaYucateca

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

I think I may have just vomited a little in my mouth after reading the home page of goodwife.com...

"Are there any good women left in the West? Sure there are. Are they easy to find? Not on your life!"

:angry:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
If the people coordinating this survey are trying to incite "feminazis," they certainly don't sound like very good qualitative researchers.

I personally have my own opinions about Mail order brides and pay-to-date Internet sites, but I don't think I'll share.

And that goodwife.com site is terrifying!

I suppose generalities can be made as much about the men who use international marriage services as can be about the American women they feel rejected by, but in the end every situation is different and everyone has their own personal reasons for why they feel the way they do...hopefully most don't act on generalities made by others.

Timeline
Is it just for Russian marraiges?

No, not at all. It is open to anyone who was or is married to someone from another country.

I don't see my 10' pole anywhere and not sure how much I would want to touch on this one if I did. Actually at least one of the researchers from the university is a woman who would call herself a feminist without much hesitation.

There are some people that think the IMBRA went "a little" too far. I am all for protecting women and making sure that they are not used, abused, mistreated and all the really bad things that can happen. I think IMBRA has it's good parts. One example of where I think it went to far is that I don't think I should have to have a police background check to say hello to a woman from Russia or England, or China or anywhere. I have no problem with a background check if I want to bring her here on a K-1 visa. I do have a problem with needing it to say hello. If I need a police background check to say hello to a woman from Manila, why don't I need one to say hello to a women from San Diego. There is a far greater chance I would actually meet the woman from San Diego.

I could write a couple of pages on this but one of the primary goals of the survey is to have some real facts and statistics to know what problems people really do face and that applies to American men meeting Russian women or South American women and the women themselves. As far as relationships that start with an agency right now it is more men meeting women but I do think American women who do get involved with men from overseas may face as much or more of the same problems the men run into.

This does appear to me to be the best effort I have seen at coming up with good statistics and information to really know what is happening to us. Knowlege can only help. Even if it tells us something different than what we want to hear it is better to have the facts.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

We participated. I hope this survey helps eliminate some of the prejudice against international marriages :thumbs:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

when its called mail order bride, theres going to be prejudice

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline
As far as the specific data like e-mail and phone I am sure some would be concerned about that but if you leave it blank everything still works so if the phone number or e-mail, exc bothers you just leave it blank or enter something like 111-111-1111. They are not going to call anyone, and they you won't find yourself on any spam mailing list.

I tried that but apparently it sends the survey to your email address and so as I filled in an email addy which doesn't exist, I cannot take part.

I second the PP who questioned the survey being called "mail order bride"- we did not meet on a marriage site, we met at a conference and then had a LDR until he came here to Ireland, and now we are moving to the USA. I think many couples here met in similar circumstances, ie not on a specific relationship website. So I don't even know if we/ most members of this site are suitable for the survey.

Yeah really! It's sexist hahaha...why not just "International Matrimony/Marriage" Mail order is so out of date sounding anyway.....doesn't that kind of imply using a brokerage service? The name asside it sounds like a really cool survey, I would love to see the results