MichelleN

Baby Proof of Ongoing Relationship?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

So I'm getting things ready to mail out everything to get the wheels turning on the K-1 Visa. The part where we prove an ongoing relationship is kinda tough. We chat online mostly so never really email each other and we don't write or talk on the phone. Is the fact that we have a child together proof enough of an ongoing relationship? The big problem I'm seeing though is that he's not on the birth certificate. We were having some problems at the time and he wasn't around to get put on it before he had to return to Japan. Would they just take my word on it? I mean I have pictures of all three of us and such....but do I even need to worry about it? Is it just not something they'll accept as 'proof'?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

A baby is nproof of having sex once, not neccessarily of a relationship (not saying this is the case for you, just that is how the government may see it). Can you have the birth cet ammended to show his name? If not, a DNA test would show he is the father. A baby may help a little bit, but really what you will want to do is show that you two spend time together (passport stamps, photos, hotel recipts etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Agree with the above. Can you have him put on the BC now?

For K-1 submissions, you should read the guides. There is primary and secondary evidence. You only need to provide proof you've met in the last two years at this stage. So, his or your boarding pass, stamps on either of your passport, perhaps one picture together should suffice. For the rest of the journey and needed at the interview stage, you'll need other evidence. You could print some of your chat logs. Is he coming to visit with you again? Or you him? Take more pictures to show a continuum of time.

You mention that you don't email, write or phone. I don't know how long you've been apart, but it would be adventageous to start doing these things now! Cards, emails, letters...anything to show that you're communicating and involved in a relationship. You'll have some time to accumulate these things, as they're needed at the interview, not now.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
So I'm getting things ready to mail out everything to get the wheels turning on the K-1 Visa. The part where we prove an ongoing relationship is kinda tough. We chat online mostly so never really email each other and we don't write or talk on the phone. Is the fact that we have a child together proof enough of an ongoing relationship? The big problem I'm seeing though is that he's not on the birth certificate. We were having some problems at the time and he wasn't around to get put on it before he had to return to Japan. Would they just take my word on it? I mean I have pictures of all three of us and such....but do I even need to worry about it? Is it just not something they'll accept as 'proof'?

You said it.... Pictures... send in the pictures of you 2 together, make sure the pictures are copies because you might not get them back. I sent in around 25 pictures of us and they said it was more than enough. my friend sent in 10 pictures....and they asked for more. so it's up to you on how many you want to send

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Tokyo, Japan

I-129F Sent : June 01 2008

NOA1 Received June 21 2008

"Touch" July 8 2008

''Touch'' July 9 2008

NOA2 JULY 28 2008!!!!!

''Touch'' July 29 2008

" The touch for July 29 was USCIS mailing the case to NVC"

"August 8 2008 received letter in mail from NVC...case was mailed to Tokyo..should arrive in a week"

" August 13 2008 Finace Received packet in mail from Tokyo"

''August 21 she started the Police report''

''August 25 she received email from consulate confirming the interview date''

''August 28 she received Police report''

''She will complete medical mid September''

'' medical finished $430.00''

''Interview is at the end of September''

''Interview yesterday October 29 ( for Japan ) They asked many questions but everything went well! visa arrives in 5 days!!!!!"

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
You said it.... Pictures... send in the pictures of you 2 together, make sure the pictures are copies because you might not get them back. I sent in around 25 pictures of us and they said it was more than enough. my friend sent in 10 pictures....and they asked for more. so it's up to you on how many you want to send

I only sent in 5 and that was enough, so you never know.

K-1 Timeline:

May 31, 2007 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska

Oct. 22, 2007 - NOA2 Hard Copy received!! No email/website update.

Nov. 16, 2007 - Paperwork found & received by NVC!

Jan. 7, 2008 - Finally got the interview date

Jan. 28, 2008 - Interview!! Approved!!!

Feb. 12, 2008 - Arrives in USA!!!

Feb. 18, 2008 - Wedding Day!!!!!!

Feb. 19, 2008 - Apply for SSN

AOS Timeline:

Mar. 12, 2008 - Packet mailed (AOS, EAD, & AP)

Mar. 12, 2008 - Husband's SSN arrives

Mar. 14, 2008 - AOS pkt was delivered at 7:52 AM & signed for by V BUSTAMANTE.

Mar. 18, 2008 - Check cashed!!

Mar. 21, 2008 - NOA's for AOS, EAD & I-131!! (Dated 3-18-08)

Mar. 31, 2008 - Can finally see AP & EAD online!!

Apr. 10, 2008 - Biometrics finished! Can finally see AOS online & EAD touch!

May 12, 2008 - Email: AP approved!!

May 14, 2008 - Email: EAD approved!!

May 16, 2008 - EAD card & AP in hand!!

Sept 19, 2008 - Interview letter - Oct. 24th - Seattle??

Oct. 21, 2008 - A Touch..WOW!! The interviewer must've put it on his/her desk!

Oct. 24, 2008 - Interview..now back to waiting!

Nov 13, 2008 - Approved! Card Production Ordered...finally!!

Nov 24, 2008 - Card arrives!!!!

Agree with the above. Can you have him put on the BC now?

For K-1 submissions, you should read the guides. There is primary and secondary evidence. You only need to provide proof you've met in the last two years at this stage. So, his or your boarding pass, stamps on either of your passport, perhaps one picture together should suffice. For the rest of the journey and needed at the interview stage, you'll need other evidence. You could print some of your chat logs. Is he coming to visit with you again? Or you him? Take more pictures to show a continuum of time.

You mention that you don't email, write or phone. I don't know how long you've been apart, but it would be adventageous to start doing these things now! Cards, emails, letters...anything to show that you're communicating and involved in a relationship. You'll have some time to accumulate these things, as they're needed at the interview, not now.

What she said! :thumbs:

You do not need "ongoing" relationship proof to file an I-129F petition. You need to prove that you ment withing 2 years of filing the petition...and send some photos (some choose a lot, other a few and both have been approved, no ryme or reason there).

The bulk of the documentation, proving that you have an ongoing relationship....including the birth certificate of your common child would be needed at the interview stage. I would follow Carlawarla's advice and paralell to your messaging, start e-mailing, phoning and writing to one another....and keeping copies of all communication...they are truly the best proof IMO of an "ongoing" relationship".

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
The part where we prove an ongoing relationship is kinda tough. We chat online mostly so never really email each other and we don't write or talk on the phone.

Save your chat logs if haven't already. Also your phone records - no matter how little you talk on the phone. Do you webcam when you chat? Take photos of each other from the chats as well. In a long distance relationship - the only viable evidence of a bonafide relationship are records of communication, so the both of should be prepared to demonstrate that beyond him being the daddy's baby.

Edited by Jabberwocky

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree with Carla. I also agree you should make a more concentrated effort to save some more proof in the future.

And, like the above posters said, you need to get his name on that birth certificate. A baby is only proof you had sex once. And, honestly, without the DNA and/or name on BC, it's not even that at this point.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.