ick33333

Lesbian Couple Wants to be Together

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am an American female. My girlfriend / lover is Canadian. We are new to this website and was unable to find / locate a topic similar to our circumstances. We sure could use some help / advice / guidance.

I own a home in Michigan. My g/f is unemployed and homeless in Ontario. She has been visiting with me and must return to Canada at the end of July 2008, due to being checked out at the border coming into Michigan.

We will do anything to be together, and whereever is unimportant to us. I am in my late 50's and she is in her mid 40's so it's not puppy love.

Should she try and marry an American and then apply for US citizenship or should we get married in Canada and then she sponsor me for citizenship there? I am retired and don't want to lose my social security and / or pension.

We are so scared and sick that we can barely eat or function.

We're not trying to be illegal or dishonest but we are leaving all options open. Our problem is we don't know what our options are. Can you help us?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Currently the US does not recognise same sex unions for famliy based immigration benefits. I assume it is only a matter of time until such a petition is filed. I think the key to such a filing if you are not currently married is the letter of intent where you both must be able to marry at the time of filing. This would require both of you to reside in a place that same sex marriage is recognised. I have no idea what would happen if you met this requirement and would file but I am certain it would be a long slow process at best.

I know US citizens live out of country and maintain their social security. I think you simply need to maintain your US citizenship.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

I am retired and don't want to lose my social security and / or pension.

From Social Security's website:

Question:

I am a US citizen but plan to live overseas. Can I collect Social Security benefits in a foreign country?

Answer:

If you are a U.S. citizen, you may receive your Social Security payments outside the U.S. as long as you are eligible for them. Regardless of your citizenship, there are certain countries where we are not allowed to send payments. For more information, please see Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States, Publication No. 05-10137, for a list of countries where we are not allowed to send payments.

If you are planning to be outside the United States for six consecutive calendar months or more, you can find out if you can receive your Social Security payment by using the Payments Abroad Screening Tool.

Edited by Necrotica

08/25/06 - 08/08/07 - K1 timeframe from mailing the petition to the NSC to K1 approval at the Montréal Consulate

08/31/07 - Réjean makes the big move to the USA

09/22/07 - MARRIED!

10/09/07 - Réjean gets his SSN

Adjustment of status:

10/26/07 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

11/23/07 - Biometrics appointment

12/14/07 - I-485 transferred to the California Service Center

12/28/07 - EAD approved!

01/07/08 - EAD received

02/08/08 - GREEN CARD APPROVED!!!!!!

02/16/08 - Green card received!

*headdesk*:

01/02/09 - Réjean loses his wallet containing his drivers license, Social Security card, and green card

02/04/09 - Our best friends bail us out by giving us the money to file for the replacement green card!

02/12/09 - E-filed I-90 for the replacement green card along with the $370 filing fee (including biometrics)

02/19/09 - NOA1

02/25/09 - Biometrics appointment

05/01/09 - Replacement green card received

Removal of conditions:

01/07/10: Mailed I-751 packet by overnight mail to the CSC

01/11/10: I-751 packet delivered and signed for

01/19/10: Received NOA1

01/28/10: Biometrics (did walk-in due to Réjean being out on the road on original date of 02/10/10)

02/03/10: APPROVED!!!

02/05/10: Received e-mail from USCIS saying the card production has been ordered

02/06/10: Received letter typed on plain paper from USCIS congratulating Réjean on his removal of conditions approval

02/11/10: Green card received

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
I own a home in Michigan. My g/f is unemployed and homeless in Ontario. She has been visiting with me and must return to Canada at the end of July 2008, due to being checked out at the border coming into Michigan.

Should she try and marry an American and then apply for US citizenship or should we get married in Canada and then she sponsor me for citizenship there? I am retired and don't want to lose my social security and / or pension.

We're not trying to be illegal or dishonest but we are leaving all options open. Our problem is we don't know what our options are. Can you help us?

Nothing dishonest???,,,a fraudulent marriage is dishonest and a felony...but as least, it would solve her homeless problem.

You have no options in the US. The govt does not recognize same sex marriages. Your option is to live in Canada.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you get married in Canada you can apply for permanent residency there. As previously mentoined, the US does not recognise same sex unions or marriage, so unless your girlfriend has some other avenue of immigration here, your only option really is Canada.

Your then Canadian wife would apply to sponsor you, (she doesn't need to show proof that she can fiancially support you, however it would be a really good idea for her to get a job and a place to live before sending in the applications!) Then you would apply for residency. If you apply "outland" current timelines are between 4 and 9 months. If you were to get married and then stay in Canada and apply in-land, it could take well over a year, and you wouldn't be able to work during most of that time. Out-land applications are quickest and best IMO.

Check out http://www.roadtocanada.com for information on family based immigration to Canada.

Edited by Reba

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Nothing dishonest???,,,a fraudulent marriage is dishonest and a felony...but as least, it would solve her homeless problem.

You have no options in the US. The govt does not recognize same sex marriages. Your option is to live in Canada.

you beat me to that one.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I wish you both all the luck in the world.

Smile, you will find a way. :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

California and I think Massachusetts allow same sex marriage. I do not know how immigration would react if a couple resided in one of those states and applied for a cr1/ k3 visa.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Other Timeline

The US federal government however does not recognise same sex marriage, and USCIS is a federal office. As they do not consider same sex marriage legal, they would not be eligible for marriage based immigration to the US.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
The US federal government however does not recognise same sex marriage, and USCIS is a federal office. As they do not consider same sex marriage legal, they would not be eligible for marriage based immigration to the US.

This is true. Even if you did somehow get to the U.S., there are only a select few states that allow civil unions or marriages. So you'd be confined to those states.

This is a great organization for resources and support for bi-national couples with immigration issues. Good luck (F)

immigration equality

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

I was a former marriage commissioner in Ontario. I know that Ontario recognizes same-sex unions and I believe they allow for family benefits.

I'm in agreement with Reba. Follow her suggestions and live in Ontario. Nothing stopping you from visiting the US afterwards.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

If gays/lesbians can get married in California and Massachusetts then why can they not get married there and then apply for AOS?

Being that U.S. immigration is arcane and antiquated, perhaps the only one that is truly modern method would be Quebec's; they even recognize common law couples for immigration do they not?

Yes, Quebec's immigration is separate from the rest of Canada!!!

I wish for you that you find a way and be together.

Perhaps for now, it can be long visits to the U.S. for the CDN partner.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
If gays/lesbians can get married in California and Massachusetts then why can they not get married there and then apply for AOS?

Because USCIS is governed by Federal law, not State law, and Federal Law does not recognize same-sex marriages.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Being that U.S. immigration is arcane and antiquated, perhaps the only one that is truly modern method would be Quebec's; they even recognize common law couples for immigration do they not?

Yes, Quebec's immigration is separate from the rest of Canada!!!

I wish for you that you find a way and be together.

Perhaps for now, it can be long visits to the U.S. for the CDN partner.

:star:

Canadian immigration recognizes same sex partnerships....not just Quebec :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.