Asante Maroon

USC, Would You Move to Your SO's Country One Day in the Future?

USC, Would You Move to Your SO's Country One Day in the Future?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Living Abroad in the Future

• Yes! Just say the word and I am there (given financial stability)
    • Yes! Just say the word and I am there (don't care about the money, we will make do!)
    • Maybe, half the year...
    • No. But we can always visit
    • No. I am quite comfortable where I am

101 posts in this topic

(Couldn't edit my post)

We would live in the UK if it was financially possible...alas, we are not made of money...

But it could always happen in the future...

Same here.

Just to clarify on the expenses..

I pay £260 / $520 a month just for my one ROOM and I live with two people that pay the same. That makes it over $1500 a month for the flat, whereas in MA you can get an apartment from $500-800 a month. I pay almost $6 to use the bus for a day, whereas in the US we can get a tank of gas lasting a good few days or a week for $20.

Having said that, it would be great if we could move back to the UK in the future when we're better off; at this point, we want to be together and live comfortably.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Thanks for contributing guys!

Bit late on this one (again!) but fwiw, I can't wait to get out of Blighty. And that's just as well, because 'er indoors has told me on more than one occasion that she's too much of a "spoiled ### American" to live anywhere else.

Seriously though, it's about getting "bang for yer buck." I mean, let's take housing: for US$150,000, I can get a brick, ranch-style, 3 or 4 bedroom home on a couple of acres in her part of rural Southern Illinois. Kincaid Lake and the Shawnee National Forest are just a few miles away, too. Conversely, the UK equivalent amount (about £80,000 at the current exchange rate) buys me NOTHING in the South of the country, a 1 bed apartment in a half-decent area of the Midlands or up North, or maybe a small terraced house in an absolute fleapit of a place. I #### you not.

Nope, once I've left the UK I aint never going back (except to visit, of course).

Same here. I recently bought a 1,000-square foot condo in Alexandria, VA, for a sum of money that would've bought me nothing more than a garage in Rome (and not even in the centre). My fiancé would have had no objection to moving to Italy, but after thinking long and hard about that, we decided the best move for us was to have me move to the US. And, in spite of all the drawbacks I've heard about, I'm really looking forward to my new life. It does help that I've gathered a lot of info on the way, and I don't expect everything to be easy. Besides, I've already lived abroad for almost six years, so I know about the adjustment period and all that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
(Couldn't edit my post)

We would live in the UK if it was financially possible...alas, we are not made of money...

Same here.

Just to clarify on the expenses..

I pay £260 / $520 a month just for my one ROOM and I live with two people that pay the same. That makes it over $1500 a month for the flat, whereas in MA you can get an apartment from $500-800 a month. I pay almost $6 to use the bus for a day, whereas in the US we can get a tank of gas lasting a good few days or a week for $20.

Having said that, it would be great if we could move back to the UK in the future when we're better off; at this point, we want to be together and live comfortably.

Count yourself lucky: I was paying £500/$1000 a month for a room in South London before I moved to Birmingham. Here, I'm paying that exact same amount for a nice 2-bed house in a quiet cul-de-sac!!

Screw London!!!!!!!!

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

I would have no problem moving to the Philippines. I plan to retire there.

ANDY & MARICAR

N-400 Timeline

05/14/2012 - Mailed N-400 packet to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox via Priority Mail.

05/21/2012 - NOA1

06/12/2012 - Biometrics

06/29/2012 - Interview Notice

08/06/2012 - Naturalization Interview in OKC PASSED!!!!!!!

09/28/2012 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!!!!

U.S. CITIZEN!!!!!

I would have no problem moving to the Philippines. I plan to retire there.

Lot depends on where in the Philippines you move to. Some areas are not that great for puti [white peeps]. Example "most" of Mindanao.

Can't get medicare so you'd have to pay your own way with medical. Very reasonable where we have our houses in La Union. Also very GOOD medical facilities and personnel.

I haven't quite figured out what would happen if you got a major illness or sickness and returned to the US. Don't know what the procedure is on qualifying for medicare again.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Did not realize how expensive it is in the UK!!! I guess thats why my family from the UK love to come to the NYC to shop :)

Bit late on this one (again!) but fwiw, I can't wait to get out of Blighty. And that's just as well, because 'er indoors has told me on more than one occasion that she's too much of a "spoiled ### American" to live anywhere else.

Seriously though, it's about getting "bang for yer buck." I mean, let's take housing: for US$150,000, I can get a brick, ranch-style, 3 or 4 bedroom home on a couple of acres in her part of rural Southern Illinois. Kincaid Lake and the Shawnee National Forest are just a few miles away, too. Conversely, the UK equivalent amount (about £80,000 at the current exchange rate) buys me NOTHING in the South of the country, a 1 bed apartment in a half-decent area of the Midlands or up North, or maybe a small terraced house in an absolute fleapit of a place. I #### you not.

Nope, once I've left the UK I aint never going back (except to visit, of course).

Same here.

I would be starting a new life anyway because I'm graduating from school and moving out of my house (can't afford to stay in Bath - way too expensive!) I might as well be the one to move to the US where things are cheaper in general.

OTxq.jpgAsante Maroon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ever since my first trip to Ghana, I have been struck by the (L) bug :luv: . I felt an overwhelming sense of belonging...Like I had been there before. When I left Ghana after my first trip, I developed a sense of "home sickness". I guess it was pretty easy for me because many parts of Ghana strongly resembles Jamaica (where my family is from)....Not to mention there is a strong love out there for Jamaica and its culture music!

But, strange enough Ghana has had the greatest impact on me, than any other place I have been, here or abroad. I say: "strange enough" because I knew Ghana is where I wanted to be almost immediately.

Many SO's have asked their USC SO's if they would ever consider moving to their home country....or they have simply made the statement that they would eventually like to return "back home" once they have made some sort of financial accomplishment, etc.... here in the US

....I guess I was a little strange in that, I told my SO when we were just getting to know each other, that I would LOVE to live in Ghana...he never had to ask me.

I can already envision my home and have ideas of what I would like to do when I am there. I think about it all the time!!! It makes me feel good, happy, and gives me something to work towards...

So, obviously my answer is YES YES YES :yes::yes::yes: I would ABSOLUTELY love to live in my SO's home country...I feel like it already home to me :wub:

What about you? How do you feel and why??? Don't forget to vote too! :star:

I'm am the SAME way about Jamaica! The moment I went there, which was spur of the moment all by myself, I felt like I belonged. I had this light bulb that just turned on in my head and said "Go to Jamaica". I had that thought on a Friday, and I was off to Jamaica on Sunday! That quick. I feel it was GOd leading me there, cause I had NO fear no reservations whatsoever. The same voice came when it forced me to go talk to my now husband. :star: I felt a spiritual connection with that place from day one. Like you said. It felt like I had been there before.

I would move there in a heartbeat. I have so many things I dream of doing there with housing and development and seriuosly my days are filled with ideas and ways to make this happen. My husband sees my connection with it there too, and has been very supportive in making our dream of moving to Jamaica and being servents to the community a reality.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I tried.

I left my job and moved to Colombia. It was supposed to be until he can come here. Unfourtunately, I was unable to get a job because I am not fluent in Spanish (I tried). So, I had to come back to the US after three months. I did, however, spend four months over there last year (paid for by my job). That puts me living in Colombia for 7 months out of the last year, and I loved it. Aside from the earthquake, the robbery, the bomb, and the suicide in our building, everything was great. Seriously though, the people are great and I love it there. Just don't have the money.

9290.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I ended up tutoring and sub-teaching at an American School down there when I lived there, plus the money I had saved up... I ended up bringing cash back with me to the US.

It helped to have a recently expired teaching certificate and grad school credentials.

Language is also no problem, yet I was working primarily in English most of the time anyway.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.