11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We went down to our local SS Office with all our paperwork filled out and our documents in hand. The man at the window immediately leaned back and called for his boss. They had some sort of discussion that I couldn't fully understand, but they seemed like they were indecisive, so I whipped out that notice that says K-1s can get SS cards, so long as it's within 15 days of the visa's expiration.

They read this, and it looked like they were going to begin processing our paperwork, but then the boss said, I see you got married a week ago. Yes, I said, that's correct. I can't issue you a card on the strength of this visa alone then. Why not? Because K-1 is Fiancee of USC. Now she is wife of USC. You'll have to get work authorization before I can process this case. You should have come here last week before you guys got married, then I could have done it.

Oh well, it isn't that big a deal to us, but it was a waste of a drive to Des Moines. So don't let this happen to you! I thought I was being wise, waiting until after the marriage so we wouldn't have to deal with a name change issue. I just guessed flat out wrong on that one!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
We went down to our local SS Office with all our paperwork filled out and our documents in hand. The man at the window immediately leaned back and called for his boss. They had some sort of discussion that I couldn't fully understand, but they seemed like they were indecisive, so I whipped out that notice that says K-1s can get SS cards, so long as it's within 15 days of the visa's expiration.

They read this, and it looked like they were going to begin processing our paperwork, but then the boss said, I see you got married a week ago. Yes, I said, that's correct. I can't issue you a card on the strength of this visa alone then. Why not? Because K-1 is Fiancee of USC. Now she is wife of USC. You'll have to get work authorization before I can process this case. You should have come here last week before you guys got married, then I could have done it.

Oh well, it isn't that big a deal to us, but it was a waste of a drive to Des Moines. So don't let this happen to you! I thought I was being wise, waiting until after the marriage so we wouldn't have to deal with a name change issue. I just guessed flat out wrong on that one!

SSA office was wrong... You entered on a K-1 visa and were granted K-1 status. Marriage does not change that. You are still K-1 status and will remain so until you adjust your status.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got my SSN a day after our marriage with no problem at all.

MY TIMELINE

K-1 Journey

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Singapore

05/21/07 : I-129F Sent

02/24/08 : INTERVIEW

12/12/07 : MEDICAL

01/09/08 : VISA IN HAND

03/06/08 : Arrive in the US, POE - DETROIT

AOS

03/28/08 : Mailed AOS Packet

04/12/08 : Receive NOA's AP, EAD

05/02/08 : BIOMETRICS

06/11/08 : EAD CARD IN THE MAIL!!!

07/02/08 : GREEN CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED

07/07/08 : GREEN CARD IN THE MAIL & WORKING

03/27/09 : Driver's License issued

Removing Condition

04/03/10 : mailed to Vermont

04/08/10 : NOA1 & 1 yr extension

05/20/10 : Biometrics Appt.

11/19/10 : Interview/Approval

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
I got my SSN a day after our marriage with no problem at all.

I applied for my SSN after entering on a K1 visa after only 10days...they approved my case. I haven't get married yet (until July 27 :thumbs: )

SSA office was wrong... You entered on a K-1 visa and were granted K-1 status. Marriage does not change that. You are still K-1 status and will remain so until you adjust your status.

This is what we experienced as well months ago..... And we argued that we were indeed correct initially. Then they said the month also was incorrect for my wife birthdate, even made a infopass appointment because we were told also the info (month for birthdate) in the 'system' was also incorrect in the SSA system, however were told by Info Pass that they were all on the same system :blink: . ..but they won eventually, by the time we waited to have (month for birthdate) corrected we HAD to file the AOS and well end of story.

David & Jenny

Removing Conditions

5-24-2010 - Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center via USPS (receipt/signature required)

5-25-2010 - Delivered to Vermont Service Center & Signed For

6-1-2010 - I-751 Receipt Notice Received in Mail (dated 5/26/10)

*time Passed

7-30-2010 - Biometrics date: August 13, 2010

8-13-2010 - Biometrics Finished

*time passed

8-30-2010 - email received 'card production ordered'

8-31-2010 - touch (updated on uscis as approved)

9-4-2010 - Received 10yr Green Card ** Now we relax **

Kris and I ran into this issue. We had gone to a local satelite office. (Big no no) If you are able to try and go into a Social Security office that is in a larger town. If they have high amounts of customers in the better since more than likely they will have dealth with this before. In the end you are entitled to the SScard. We got ours with no problem after going to a different office. Also, only provide what you are asked for. I'm of a mind of not giving more information than what is needed to fulfill what it asks for.

Good luck

Melrose_Plant,

We ran into the same problem. I thought I was saving a step by waitning until we get married to get a card. I mentioned we were married and Thao's name had changed. The man

said we should have applied before we got married. I didn't understand the logic behind it all but I think he worked around the issue by creating a SSN with Thao's maiden name and we will have to change it after we receive the card. :bonk:

06-29-09 received GC in mail

4-18-11 mailed I-751 CSC

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-04-18

NOA Date Received : 2011-06-06

Date on NOA: 2011-04-22

Bio. Appt. : 2011-06-24

Had to make an Info Pass appointment because there was a delay in receiving the NOA for our I-751. Never found out the reason for the delay but they gave Thao a 1 year green card stamp in her passport and we got a the NOA 2 days later.

Approved: 2011-09-23

Notice sent: 2011-09-28

Hi,

We have the same issue about the SSN application but somehow mine was granted.

We went to the SSA office here in Fort Worth two weeks after our wedding.

The lady staff looked at my passport and saw that my I-94 has already expired and I am

aware of that. She said she will verify my K-1 status online..she typed in my Alien Number.

She took a couple of minutes doing that and we noticed that she's quite unsure about what

she's doing, we hand her a copy of the procedures we got from the SSA site. Then after

a while, she checked with her computer again and said, "It is verified and you are eligible for

an SSN." So we hand her the marriage license because we want my SSN to be in my married name.

Marly

---------------------------------

For updates, please visit my Websites: Workplace On the Web, Mhar's Display, Any Day Shop, A Blogger's Tech Notes, Bright Bundles, Emotionally Entertaining

My Friendster: MarlyM

Want Extra Cash? Click: Hits4Pay, ClixSense,

FortWorthStockyards5-23-08.jpg

At Fort Worth Stockyards

---------------------------------

April 12, 2008 - Wedding, Rose Garden (Tyler, TX)

May 23, 2008 - mailed AOS packet to Chicago Lockbox

June 7, 2008 - NOA for I-485, I-765, I-131 received

June 9, 2008 - Received ASC letter

June 24, 2008 - Biometrics appointment in Fort Worth

July 9, 2008 - AOS transferred to CA

July 28, 2008 - AOS approved

Aug. 5, 2008 - GC received

We had the same problem. My husband ended up going to another office and not telling him he was married (he didn't lie, but he didn't give them that information outright). He received his SS card around two weeks later.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I had a fight at the SS office with the s...d lady and her supervisor. Also they got half of their office involved and they figured I am not eligible at all for the number (10 days after arrival on a K 1). 6 weeks later I went back. Showed them the documents proving that I am eligible and filled out an application. That was 5 weeks ago. I haven't received the number or not even a denial letter. I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO SUE THEM or somehow get them reported to a higher level so they would go and get freaggin' educated.

AOS Timeline begun!

AOS sent- June 26th 2008

NOA1- July 3rd

Touch- July 7th (check cashed)

Touch- July 8th

Biometrics notice received- July 14th (notice date- July 9th)

Biometrics Appointment- July 25th

Touch- July 25th

RFE e-mail notice- July 28th

RFE response sent- September 9th

RFE response received by USCIS and case processing resumed- September 12th

AOS Touch- September 18th

Transfer to CSC- September 26th

AOS Touch-September 29th

Received Transfer Letter in mail- October 2nd

AOS Touch- case pending at the office to which it was transferred- October 3rd

AOS Touch- October 6th

EAD Touch- October 29- CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED-yippeeeeeeeeee! I can get a drivers license

EAD Touch- November 3rd- Approval notice sent (JEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZ RIGHT AFTER I WROTE THIS MY EAD CARD CAME IN MAIL!!!!!! I mean the Mailman brought it HOW WEIRD IS THAT???????????)

AOS Touch Dec 19th

AOS Touch Dec 21st

AOS APPROVED JAN 29th

Removing Conditions 12/16/2010- Application sent by certified mail

Approved 3/07/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I feel everyone on this matter!

Here's a link to what's going on with me...

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=137958

Or you could just see my signature...

Good luck to all applying for a card! I'm soooo frustrated!

Edited by Shannon and David

AOS & getting the SSN & the I-693

6/13/08 Applied for SSN for David ----- TRIP 1; 6/23/08 Went back to SSA 'cuz the person didn't pc all documents (rec'd letter from them) ----- TRIP 2

7/2/08 Received David's health insurance cards! Yay!

7/3/08 Went back to SSA; they said come back 7/9 if he still hasn't received it ----- TRIP 3

7/8/08 Got list of vaccines he still needed from CS by fax/phone; tested for immunity to MMR (only vaccine still needed) at our family dr

7/9 & 7/10/08 Went back to SSA, card still not received - Denied opportunity to apply for replacement ----- TRIP 4; Went back to SSA again to apply for a replacement card - Talked to a supervisor this time, POE people entered his last name incorrectly ----- TRIP 5; went to get David's ID thru the State, denied - instructions wrong on website; measles test inconclusive, another test needed; requested new lease

7/14/08 SSA called me in regards to problems at local SSA office

7/15/08 INFOPASS appt to fix POE name input error and then went to airport to fix POE name error

7/17/08 Received SSN card in mail and went to get state ID

7/21/08 State ID received in the mail and tested again for measles immunity

7/29/08 MMR shot #2 given and dropped off papers at Civil Surgeon (CS)

7/31/08 Picked up I-693, completed by local CS, (I paid $25, don't be fooled)

8/3 - 8/6/08 Worked on forms I-485, G-325A, I-864, I-765 and I-131; sent to Chicago - YESSS!

8/11/08 NOA1 for AOS, EAD and AP; 9/2/08 Transfered to CSC; 9/4/08 Biometrics

10/24/08 Rec'd AP; 10/27/08 Rec'd EAD; 11/24/08 Rec'd GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.