Sister Fracas

Pet hair, poop and other pet-related cleaning challenges

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Pet owners know that their furry friends can add a little something extra to the spring cleaning chores. CNN spoke with "the Queen of Clean," Linda Cobb, a New York Times best-selling author and television personality. Cobb, who owns three cats, knows a thing or two about getting the best of pet messes.

CNN: What can pet owners do about pet hair?

Cobb: You can use what's called a soot and dirt removal sponge. You simply run it over a lampshade [or the] upholstery on your furniture, and it actually pulls the hair right off.

You can also use a damp sponge. Another good thing to use is rubber gloves. Dip them into water -- keep a bucket of water near you -- shake off the excess water and rub that over the upholstery, and the hair will collect on the rubber gloves. It does a great, great job.

The other thing you need is a really good vacuum cleaner. I have found that I prefer one that has a bag in it. I use an Oreck XL. If you're using a canister vacuum, you have to take it out and then shake it into the trash, which puts all of that dust and that dander and that cat hair and everything else back up into the air.

Another good vacuum that is newer to the market is the Halo [uXV Ultraviolet Vacuum Cleaner]. That's the one with the ultraviolet light that kills germs and bacteria as you vacuum. Now, you have to vacuum correctly and go back over the area of the carpet enough times, but that's a very good vacuum too.

If you have someone in the house that is sensitive to cats, has an allergy from them or something like that, there is a product called Allerpet that you can actually just spray on to your pet, and it neutralizes the enzymes in the saliva, which is what people are usually allergic to. This is something that even if the cat licks itself, it won't hurt it.

CNN: What about pet accidents?

Cobb: If you've got a hairball, or spaghetti didn't agree with the dog, accident on the carpet, the first thing you do is scream and run to get the paper towels and start trying to pick it up, which drives it down into the carpet fibers.

Instead, reach for your baking soda. Sprinkle on a really heavy coat, and I mean heavy, so that it's completely covering it totally. Walk away. The baking soda will pull the liquid, the bile, the acids from the accident up into it away from the carpet. Once it's dry, you take the suction hose from your vacuum and simply vacuum that up, and many times you can't even tell there was an accident there.

For pet urine, the first thing you want to do is put a very heavy, heavy pile of paper towels on it, stand on it, draw all the urine you can away from the carpet. Then pour on club soda and do the same thing. Then you can go in to neutralize it with about a half a cup of water quarter cup of white vinegar. [Then] blot that dry.

If you have any odor, you want to use an odor eliminator to remove that. Now, that's not a spray that smells like lavender or oranges or flowers. An odor eliminator has no odor. A really, really fine one is Odorzout. It's all-natural, so it can't hurt the pet. The man who invented it powdered his grandson's little butt with it when he changed his diaper, that's how natural it is.

Don't Miss

In Depth: Spring Spruce-Up

If there's a larger accident and you have a bowel movement on the floor, as long as it's not diarrhea-like, you can pick that up with a paper towel. I recommend that you immediately treat that with Odorzout, because if your pets can smell what they've done, they'll go back to that area because they think it's OK.

CNN: What about the litter box?

Cobb: Cats like to be very, very clean, so to avoid having accidents in other areas because their litter's dirty, you want to clean every day. If you're using a regular litter box, there is a product called a Litter Locker; it's a little sanitary container for the [waste] removal. It's a fantastic product. I use it for my cats, and I just love it.

Now, if you're using [an automatic cleaner], every few days, you need to make sure that the catch basin is cleaned out. If it overfills and the cat smells that, they don't want to go in, and then they're going to start using corners of your house. And you know what? That's not their fault. That's our fault if we don't keep their litter clean.

CNN: How do you keep your pets safe when you're doing a big spring cleaning?

Cobb: Well, you look for natural products. Don't use harsh chemicals; it's not necessary. Disinfectants have to stay wet on the surfaces for five to 10 minutes to work; then they have to be rinsed off. They're not safe for food surfaces. You know what that says? They're not safe for your pets to walk on, either.

Read when you go to the grocery store. If there's a natural seal or if they have a green cross on it, they're a natural, safe, organic product. I recommend so highly the ACT Natural microfiber products from Sweden, the cloths and the mops. Because with nothing but water, they remove 99.9 percent of germs and bacteria and soiling from surfaces. You're not getting any residue on surfaces, and you're not spending any money on chemicals, and you're saving the environment and your health too.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/homestyle/0...ning/index.html

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Thanks Sister Fracas! I especially like the one about using rubber gloves for pet hair removal :thumbs:

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline
Thanks Sister Fracas! I especially like the one about using rubber gloves for pet hair removal :thumbs:

I like the own about using baking soda for the pet urp... LOL

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yeah, that was a great recommendation.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline

What about for people who are gone 12 hours per day for work, have 8 cats, and get a headache from cleaning the litter boxes? Will this person come clean them for me until Mags gets back?

:P

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

I got a Woolite cleaning pod... it has liquid in it, plus a sponge thing attached to it and a little brush. It works GREAT to get out the presents my cat sometimes leaves on the carpet. I highly recommend it! (No I don't have stock in the company). I've been using the same one for about a year, so even though it's not refillable it lasts a while.

http://www.epinions.com/content_325918559876

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Timeline
What about for people who are gone 12 hours per day for work, have 8 cats, and get a headache from cleaning the litter boxes? Will this person come clean them for me until Mags gets back?

:no:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

we'll send sister fracas over in her maid outfit.

frenchmaid.jpg

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

frenchmaid.jpg

hang on!!! you've trimmed me habit... :protest:

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

frenchmaid.jpg

just made a few minor modifications. :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

frenchmaid.jpg

just made a few minor modifications. :innocent:

:o

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Get the Litter Robot. My friend who I house sit her cats for had one and it made my job so easy. If you've got 8 cats you need one of these seriously.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have 10 indoor cats and should qualify for home delivery of cat litter!

Add to that my 13 dogs, and I think I help do my part to keep the pet industry going strong! :wacko:

Aug 21,1999 Married in Toronto

I-130 APPROVED CSC DECEMBER 3,2004

I-129(K3) APPROVED November 17, 2004

INTERVIEW January 19,2005-switched from K3 to IR-1

I-601 waiver filed at interview

February 18 I-864/DS-230/IR-1 fee paid at Montreal consulate

WAIVER SENT TO VSC from Montreal April 1,2005

Expedited with senator assistance.

Touches April 21/May 23/June10

I-601 APPROVED JUNE 17,2005!!!!!!!!!!

N400 NOA May 15,2008

Biometrics May 30,2008 Atlanta

Interview June 21,2008

6847.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the article. I will try that baking soda technique - with 2 Maine ####### type cats we end up with pretty regular 'hairballs' in spite of regular brushing and hairball remedies. I have found Folex Instant Carpet Spot Remover actually works really well. I don't know what the active ingredient is but it is CFC and Petroleum free and is listed as non-toxic. We have the litter locker too - it isn't too bad but with 5 cats you go through a lot of their plastic bags. Still, it is a good idea. I'll have to try the rubber gloves trick - I've got one of those sponges and while it works at first it ends up being less effective after a while. And I wish I had an Oreck vacuum - we have a Hoover Windtunnel and it is a monster!. Who needs to go to a gym to lift weights when you have to wrestle with one of these 'suckers!' I hate vacuuming!

FIBelle -10 cats and 13 dogs? Yipes - we have 5 indoor cats and an outdoor 'stray/abandon' who wants to be indoors and Joe says no. Anyone here in the Atlanta area want a sweet little muted calico charmer? I'll even deliver.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
FIBelle -10 cats and 13 dogs? Yipes - we have 5 indoor cats and an outdoor 'stray/abandon' who wants to be indoors and Joe says no. Anyone here in the Atlanta area want a sweet little muted calico charmer? I'll even deliver.

I stay quite busy...and I am happy to say all were rescues. :star:

Aug 21,1999 Married in Toronto

I-130 APPROVED CSC DECEMBER 3,2004

I-129(K3) APPROVED November 17, 2004

INTERVIEW January 19,2005-switched from K3 to IR-1

I-601 waiver filed at interview

February 18 I-864/DS-230/IR-1 fee paid at Montreal consulate

WAIVER SENT TO VSC from Montreal April 1,2005

Expedited with senator assistance.

Touches April 21/May 23/June10

I-601 APPROVED JUNE 17,2005!!!!!!!!!!

N400 NOA May 15,2008