kilun

Our visa journey: 5 years and counting

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi, everybody. I'd like to vent a little bout our somtimes frustrating visa journey. Please forgive me if you find my voice raises out of frustration.

I met my wife first time in 1998. She was 19; I was 31. We both was working in the same factory in Vietnam. Long story short, something clicked between us; we fell hard for eachother by the end of that year. We had this plan about saving some money toward a wedding and settling somewhere in Hochiminh City. I never thought of leaving Vietnam.

Then came the issue from my parents. They settled in Florida after the war. They called on me to come live with them 'cause they were afraid of ending up in a home. I send them a letter explaining that ok, I have this great girl whom I love and would never leave her. My mom was so sad after reading it she crashed her car the next day. That's when I realized I must do something to settle evrything.

I brought up the thing to my girl. She cried at first, but urged me to go to my parents at the end of the conversation. As for us, she said that she would wait for me for however long it takes and that she always had confidence in my love for her.

And off I went. Landed on US soil in July 2001; found a job in Fla in Jan 2002. Came back for her Feb. 2003. Said "I do" March 1, 2003. The Great VJ has begun.

Everything went rather slowly nonetheless smoothly. NOA 1 came Oct. 2003; NOA 2 Nov. 2005. I did not complain 'bout the long wait knowing that I was just a permanent resident. My focus at the time was that trying to be naturalized to improve the speed of the snail named bureaucracy.

One year after NOA 2, I called NVC just to hear repeating recorded message "We have no record of your case..." WTH! I called an NVC live operator and was told I should send a copy of NOA 2 to the NVC, which I did to no avail. NVC sent their response saying that I should go back to check with USCIS. An infinite loop "we approved it and sent it off, what else do u want" and "we never received it, go ask if they sent it yet" was set for me and my case.

Meanwhile, I became a naturalized citizen in July 2007. I could update the case status for my daughter (born 2003) for whom I filed I 130 in 2004. The child's case was already at NVC so the update go well. From F2B, my daughter's case went up to IR2. ARRRGH! WHAT 'BOUT HER MOM ????

Out of frustration, I called USCIS Sep. 2007. The live operator there gave me a run-a-round as usual. I begged. I cried. I did not dare to raise my voice. I said please several dozen times. Finally he gave the drowning me a stick to hold onto. "There is an option for you. You could file tsk, tsk...I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition to ask the USCIS to resend the case to the NVC. Please go to our website to find out the details". I was like YOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOTHANKUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! U'R MY SAVIOR WHOM I PROFOUNDLY WORSHIP!!

The taste of unstopable happiness and excitement ended not with a splat, but a whimp. I found out there was a $340 fee for filing I-824. The money was not that big an issue for me, but it made me feel like being punished for other people's mistakes. What's the deal with that? Makes any sense to anybody?

I did file the I-824. It did com through. My wife's case is now at NVC, upgraded to IR1, $400 IV fee paid, and DS 230 sent. It's like a little victory for us, a victory too bitter to swallow.

Thank for listening to me, guys. Please wish me luck on the remaining of my Visa journey. I'm going to need that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I can somewhat relate to your story, though we have just started our visa journey this year, but me and my husband have been living this long distance relationship since 2003.

I really feel strong reading how I am not the only one and others too have gone through hell and conquered.

I wish you all the best for your future, may you have your wife and your daughter with you soon enough and start living like real family.

Best wishes (F)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're such a strong willed person.I sincerely hope that your long journey will soon come to an end so that you,your wife and your daughter will be together for life.

I wish you all the good luck (F)

It is so sad that you have to endure this very long wait to be together BUT I applaude you for fighting for your love. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Your story is very inspiring and I hope and pray that we will soon see a very happy ending to this one. I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Stay strong. God be with you always. (F)

ROC

still waiting for GC replacement

N-400

04/23/2012...... N-400 packet sent to Lewisville, TX via USPS express mail

04/24/2012...... N-400 delivered signed for by J. Arthur; priority date according to NOA1

04/27/2012...... Check cashed

04/30/2012...... Received NOA 1 dated April 26, 2012

06/01/2012...... Received notice for biometrics dated May 29, 2012

06/20/2012...... Biometrics schedule (early bio June 05, 2012)

06/18/2012...... Email notification, N400 placed in line for interview

06/29/2012...... Email notification, N400 scheduled for interview

07/05/2012...... Interview Letter Received

08/07/2012...... Interview (PASSED)

Link to: Full timeline

God is in CONTROL. His time is always better than mine: never too early yet never late, always the perfect time.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

just hang in there, you guys will be together soon! good luck!

N400 sent : 2011-11-18

N400 received & check cashed : 2011-11-28

N400 interview letter revcd: 2012-01-23

N400 interview: 2012-02-29

N400 oath: 2012-03-21

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I read ur journey i have to tell u it left me with tears ur a very special couple!!!!!! i will pray very hard for ur case to finish fast u have suffered enough at the hands of the powers that be that keep happy couples and husbands and wifes separated by a simple file that could have so easily of been just approved may God bless u and urs always...

sara

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks, mates. It sure is very comforting for me to have all your prayers and encouragements... Means a lot to both of us, really. In fact, I'm so glad I've found this great website where I can access relevant info and guidances and, best of all, I can interact with the wonderful people who provide all that info and guidances and sympathy to my wife and I, people like you guys. It makes me believe in humanity again. My best wishes to all of you in your visa journeys and all aspects of your lives.

Regards, Kilun

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Your story moved me to tears. Seeing the dedication you have in each other is inspiring.

Hang in there (F)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.