w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

French court annuls marriage because wife lied about being a virgin

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Do people who have had a marriage annuled get to check the box for "never been married" as opposed to "divorced"?

I believe so, yes. An annulment is basically saying the marriage never happened, it's declaring it void.

That's right. As far as I know, an annulement means declaring the marriage didn't officially or legally occur (whichever comes first, I suppose). The benefit of an annulement over a divorce is that neither party is entitled to anything that belongs to the other (i.e. no monetary, property or custody disputes). The downside is that for an annulement to happen, it must be proven that the marriage took place under "false pretenses" or when "one or both members weren't fully aware."

Sometimes that's very difficult for either party to properly detail. It's not unusual for couples to attempt annulements instead of divorces, but be hampered by the legal system.

Some of the best examples I've seen (or heard) of annulements have been between young friends who've been drunk and married each other (usually in Las Vegas), only to wake up the next morning and regret their actions. They then applied for an annulement and had their marriage stricken from the record.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Some of the best examples I've seen (or heard) of annulements have been between young friends who've been drunk and married each other (usually in Las Vegas), only to wake up the next morning and regret their actions. They then applied for an annulement and had their marriage stricken from the record.

Yes, my knowledge about annullments was limited to what I learned on Friends. :lol:

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
arctic? :P

hee hee, I like reading it with "arctic" better than "archaic" LOL

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
how many people were actually a virgin when they got married? I think this question deserves a poll.

I can't imagine it hasn't already been done.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Do people who have had a marriage annuled get to check the box for "never been married" as opposed to "divorced"?

I believe so, yes. An annulment is basically saying the marriage never happened, it's declaring it void.

I think it's similar to going to one of those silly traffic classes to have a speeding ticket purged from the record.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Other Timeline
The bride said she was a virgin. When her new husband discovered that was a lie, he went to court to annul the marriage—and a French judge agreed.

In its ruling, the court concluded the woman had misrepresented herself as a virgin and that, in this particular marriage, virginity was a prerequisite.

In its judgment, the tribunal said the 2006 marriage had been ended based on "an error in the essential qualities" of the bride, "who had presented herself as single and chaste."

Article 180 of the Civil Code states that when a couple enters into a marriage, if the "essential qualities" of a spouse are misrepresented, then "the other spouse can seek the nullity of the marriage." Past examples of marriages that were annulled include a husband found to be impotent and a wife who was a prostitute, according to attorney Xavier Labbee.

Labbee, the lawyer for the bridegroom in question, says it was not the young woman's virginity that was at issue.

"The question is not one of virginity. The question is one of lying," he told The Associated Press.

It is not unusual for young Muslim women to procure fake virginity certificates, use tricks like vials of spilled blood on the wedding night or even undergo hymen repair to satisfy family expectations, and evade the shame that would follow if their secret got out.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

:wacko::wow:I wonder if HE was a virgin?

Life is so strange but it sure keeps you on your toes!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
What's the big deal about an annulment as opposed to a divorce anyway?

Annulment - the marriage never happened. someone misrepresented themselves so the marriage wasn't entered into in good faith.

Divorce - he's looking for a younger, blonder version. :P

Life is so strange but it sure keeps you on your toes!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

What a ####### puppy! :rofl:

The bride said she was a virgin. When her new husband discovered that was a lie, he went to court to annul the marriage—and a French judge agreed.

In its ruling, the court concluded the woman had misrepresented herself as a virgin and that, in this particular marriage, virginity was a prerequisite.

In its judgment, the tribunal said the 2006 marriage had been ended based on "an error in the essential qualities" of the bride, "who had presented herself as single and chaste."

Article 180 of the Civil Code states that when a couple enters into a marriage, if the "essential qualities" of a spouse are misrepresented, then "the other spouse can seek the nullity of the marriage." Past examples of marriages that were annulled include a husband found to be impotent and a wife who was a prostitute, according to attorney Xavier Labbee.

Labbee, the lawyer for the bridegroom in question, says it was not the young woman's virginity that was at issue.

"The question is not one of virginity. The question is one of lying," he told The Associated Press.

It is not unusual for young Muslim women to procure fake virginity certificates, use tricks like vials of spilled blood on the wedding night or even undergo hymen repair to satisfy family expectations, and evade the shame that would follow if their secret got out.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
What a ####### puppy! :rofl:

she didn't specify which hole, did she? :innocent:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

it was the 19th hole, Charles.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg