Colada

Left USC and wanting to divorce

19 posts in this topic

Hi! I have recently escaped my abusive USC and I live in fear everyday, afraid that he would find me. I want to file for legal separation/divorce, but not sure if I should go to an attorney or just file it myself. I am afraid the costs of attorney and that they will make things more complicated, but my divorce case can be rather complicated like most other immigrants here. First my husband is abusive and that I am afraid of his reaction. Second I am not sure meditation is the way to go since he is abusive. How would being abused make a different in divorce. I spoke with several divorce lawyers and they all told me differently. One said it doesn't make a different because I am in a no-fault state. Another said my husband will not be able to ask me for alimony. And I read in a book that the court will grant the divorce right away rather than having the separation period. I also thought about nullity of marriage, but not sure if it would affect my elegibility to file become a USC in the future.

Does anyone here have similar experience? I think being that I am an abused immigrant, it makes the divorce a little different, but would it be so complicated that required an attorney since my husband and I don't have much to divide.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I-751 processing time

July 2007 - filed I-751 abuse waiver

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Hi! I have recently escaped my abusive USC and I live in fear everyday, afraid that he would find me. I want to file for legal separation/divorce, but not sure if I should go to an attorney or just file it myself. I am afraid the costs of attorney and that they will make things more complicated, but my divorce case can be rather complicated like most other immigrants here. First my husband is abusive and that I am afraid of his reaction. Second I am not sure meditation is the way to go since he is abusive. How would being abused make a different in divorce. I spoke with several divorce lawyers and they all told me differently. One said it doesn't make a different because I am in a no-fault state. Another said my husband will not be able to ask me for alimony. And I read in a book that the court will grant the divorce right away rather than having the separation period. I also thought about nullity of marriage, but not sure if it would affect my elegibility to file become a USC in the future.

Does anyone here have similar experience? I think being that I am an abused immigrant, it makes the divorce a little different, but would it be so complicated that required an attorney since my husband and I don't have much to divide.

If you are thinking of using being abused as grounds for divorce. I hope you have the proof to prove it, otherwise it will be your word against his and I dont think if this has happen he will admit to the abuse. Why would you have to pay alimony to your husband? You stated there is not much community property. Each state have different policies on how they handle divorces. ?If you are afraid, have you filed for restraining order. If you have proof the marriage was enter into in good faith and it failed because of the abuse I think you should be fine where USCIS is concerned.

I hope someone here gives you the advice you seek. Stay safe and I hope you find a resolution to your problem soon.

Barb

Filed: Timeline

You filed the I-751 jointly in July of last year?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

The abuse waiver has been approved and now I am really worry that he will get us/me into financial debt. My USC is a big spender and if he is upset or angry, he go shop and we are talking about big ticket item. Women would just go buy new clothes or shoes, but men go buy a new car even though they are already in debt. I also want to be done with the marriage asap, so that I can move on with my life.

I-751 processing time

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

The abuse waiver has been approved and now I am really worry that he will get us/me into financial debt. My USC is a big spender and if he is upset or angry, he go shop and we are talking about big ticket item. Women would just go buy new clothes or shoes, but men go buy a new car even though they are already in debt. I also want to be done with the marriage asap, so that I can move on with my life.

Your immigration status has little bearing on the divorce, if you have removed conditions from your residency. If you are abused, and I have no doubt you are, then proceed with the divorce pronto. You can do nothing more to ensure your future safety that putting distance between you and your spouse. Once the divorce is done, his ability to control you on an emotional level is diminished, and his spending sprees will have no impact on your financial health.

"diaddie mermaid"

My question is does being abuse make a different in alimony? I read that it can affect the length and amount, but does it mean we will definitely have to take it in front of a judge?

Your immigration status has little bearing on the divorce, if you have removed conditions from your residency. If you are abused, and I have no doubt you are, then proceed with the divorce pronto. You can do nothing more to ensure your future safety that putting distance between you and your spouse. Once the divorce is done, his ability to control you on an emotional level is diminished, and his spending sprees will have no impact on your financial health.

I-751 processing time

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

Are there any pro-bono legal programs in your area for such situations? Any woman's shelter or support program for abused spouses would have this information. I would suggest not going it alone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
My question is does being abuse make a different in alimony? I read that it can affect the length and amount, but does it mean we will definitely have to take it in front of a judge?

In many states, you have to be married a certain amount of time to get alimony. In Florida, you have to have been married for 10 years to even qualify to get it. You'd need to research for your state what the requirements are.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• 3 weeks later...

Colada, you are my prayer. In florida, if you have been married for 10 years, you qualify to get alimoney for the rest of your whole life, not only the period of some years.

AOS

08/08/2006 - I-485 transfered from TSC to CSC

02/14/2007 - I-485 approved without interview

I-751 (Abuse Waiver):

07/09/2007 - I-751 sent to TSC

07/11/2007 - I-751 received at TSC

07/24/2007 - Check cashed by CSC

08/04/2007 - NOA1 from CSC dated 07/24/2007

08/20/2007 - NOA2 received from CSC dated 08/15/2007 for 09/12/2007

09/12/2007 - Biometrics completed

09/13/2007 - Touched

09/14/2007 - Touched

09/20/2007 - Touched I-751 card production ordered (without interview again)

09/21/2007 - Touched

09/25/2007 - Touched I-751 approval letter sent at 11:59 pm midmight

09/26/2007 - Touched

09/28/2007 - 10 years card in mail. 2/14/2007 to 9/20/2017

N-400

04/01/2010 - N-400 sent to TSC by USPS

04/03/2010 - Arrival at Post Office, 1:39 am, DALLAS, TX 75222

04/04/2010 - Delivered, 9:23 pm, DALLAS, TX 75266

04/20/2010 - Check cashed by TSC

04/23/2010 - NOA1 received dated 04/20/2010

05/03/2010 - NOA2 received dated 04/29/2010 for 5/17/2010

05/17/2010 - Biometrics completed

05/22/2010 - Touched, text & email received at 4:32am, Case sent to local office

05/22/2010 - NOA3 received dated 05/20/2010 for 06/24/2010

05/25/2010 - Touched

06/24/2010 - Interview Approved

07/01/2010 - Oath letter received dated 06/30/2010

07/16/2010 - Oath Day

08/14/2010 - Passport received

Everything goes to judge (uncontested- to his assistant to sign off and check that all papers in order, I think). If he makes a lot, you can get some alimony for some time. If he is just on average salary and your are healthy/educated/able to work-you might get jsut pennies. Since he is a spender, make separation (in some states it has to be official/registered; in other-the day you move out with intent to separate and he knew about the intent). He can spend as much as he can, but if it is after you got separated-it is all his debt.

Karina and Tomy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Colada, you are my prayer. In florida, if you have been married for 10 years, you qualify to get alimoney for the rest of your whole life, not only the period of some years.

This is not true!

:blink: thank god you're here, mermaid.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

NO FAULT DIVORCE IN MOST STATES. take your waiver , green card.and run to your friends in the hood

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Thanks all for the reply.

I suddenly feel very lonely. I think it is something that most immigrants go through. Married for a short time and now separated and not knowing what the future holds. I started to think that some USC marry foreign nationals because they cannot find a spouse within the nation. I feel so sad that my USC blame everything on me and not give me money because I am the one that left him. I do hope that he would come to some sense in the future and not ruin other women's life.

I-751 processing time

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

Thanks all for the reply.

I suddenly feel very lonely. I think it is something that most immigrants go through. Married for a short time and now separated and not knowing what the future holds. I started to think that some USC marry foreign nationals because they cannot find a spouse within the nation. I feel so sad that my USC blame everything on me and not give me money because I am the one that left him. I do hope that he would come to some sense in the future and not ruin other women's life.

Don't feel sad. Feel liberated. This is the beginning of a whole new life for you., and one in which you are in control of your own future and not at the whim of someone else..and while it might look bleak right now, it will get better.

"diaddie mermaid"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.