w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

US marines in hot water over Christian coins in Iraq

103 posts in this topic

I get it, you are offended, but do you have a 'right' to be offended by any objective definition? In other words, are you getting offended because something like a tract evokes all kinds of negative emotions that the giver of the tract could not possibly forsee? My perspective is that quite possibly you are. However, that is probably going to sound offensive to you. I apologise in advance but I hope you at least see what I am trying to say.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
It's amusing to see a Muslim calling Christianity a false religion. I don't recall the last time a Christian strapped a bomb to his chest and blew up a bunch of innocent men, women, and children. :blink:

Don't read the news much? There are extremists in all religions and cultures.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I get it, you are offended, but do you have a 'right' to be offended by any objective definition? In other words, are you getting offended because something like a tract evokes all kinds of negative emotions that the giver of the tract could not possibly forsee? My perspective is that quite possibly you are. However, that is probably going to sound offensive to you. I apologise in advance but I hope you at least see what I am trying to say.

No. I'm getting offended because proselytizing is arrogant and insulting. Try empathy.

Proselytizing has always bothered me, but I've only really been honest with myself about my feelings about Christianity more recently.

Are you offended by car adverts that suggest or even openly proclaim that their car is 'better' than a car you might drive? If I see such an advert I don't think "how insulting to make that claim when I know my car is better" - I just think "what a stupid advert".

Back to christian outreach; you already know that I am not a christian. I certainly don't agree with the christian premise and I don't really want to listen to anyone who wants to try to convert me but if someone hands me a tract I don't feel belittled or insulted by what they believe - I just throw it away.

In other words, my own belief is not altered in any way by their outreach. I don't think that they are arrogant or insulting because although I believe that they are wrong, I don't believe that they are trying to insult me or look down on me and even if that is exactly what they are doing, it has no effect because I don't believe they are right about what they are saying. Their 'superior' position is in their minds only, it doesn't effect me.

I am honestly trying to understand why it bothers you so much - do you think that christianity of itself is some kind of threat? I mean a real threat to you or people around you as apposed to a nuisance that you could do without?

In the end, it of course doesn't matter what I think and you have a right to feel however you like about these things but I do find it slightly odd.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Are you offended by car adverts that suggest or even openly proclaim that their car is 'better' than a car you might drive? If I see such an advert I don't think "how insulting to make that claim when I know my car is better" - I just think "what a stupid advert".

Its not better, its "Buy our car, and your soul will be saved", "If you don't buy our car, you will go to hell.", or "Only our car is your ticket to heaven."

keTiiDCjGVo

Without a belief in heaven and hell that's a meaningless sales pitch.

Again, how can I be offended by something that has no meaning to me?

It's amusing to see a Muslim calling Christianity a false religion. I don't recall the last time a Christian strapped a bomb to his chest and blew up a bunch of innocent men, women, and children. :blink:

The truth hurts.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Without a belief in heaven and hell that's a meaningless sales pitch.

It is, but many people, even if they don't follow a particular relgion, have some belief in God, Heaven and or Hell. I think you will find more agnostics than atheists.

keTiiDCjGVo

Either you believe in a God you can influence with your actions, in which case you would do everything in your power to ensure that this influence is positive or you don't. If you don't, then whether or not there is a 'heaven' or 'hell' is of no concern while you are alive because you can't influence which place you will end up in any way. Therefore, it still doesn't have a use as a sales tool.

It can only be 'unpleasant' if there is some way that you are materially affected. Missionaries have always had some material advantage that has strengthened their hand. (I take it we are talking missionaries who outreach in 'third world' settings) The 'missionaries' in developed nations are for the most part given short shrift by those who don't believe what they are saying. How many mormons or jehova's witnesses can cause these feelings of 'unpleasantness' to those they try to convert?

Edited by Purple_Hibiscus

If someone for whatever reason, doesn't understand what leads the other person's feeling of superiority and the pity that they have towards them, then they arne't going to buy into the idea that its merited so it will not have the effect of creating a feeling of unpleasantness.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Being condescended to and pitied is never pleasant. That is what missionaries do and that is why they are hated.

I've heard a lot of negativity about missionaries lately, and I am not here to defend them all. But can people say these things about someone like Mother Theresa? Does her good outweigh her "bad trait" of being a missionary basically? There are many missionaries who have done amazing things for people, without forcing them to convert to anything. Some missionaries' main goals are to help poor people, and if asked why they will take the opportunity to say how their beliefs shape how they want to help people.

Generalizing missionaries isn't fair IMO.

And again, if people don't understand why a Christian wants to tell someone about their beliefs, I know it's going to sound offensive to you.

But let me just say that a Christian does not do it to earn points from God or get anything for themselves. There is no scoreboard held by God, ticking off how many people so-and-so told about Jesus.They don't personally gain anything by telling others unless they do it to make themselves look good in the Christian world, which does happen.

But usually, there is nothing to gain and instead you are risking what people think about you and your reputation just by opening your mouth about it. You know a lot of people are going to think you are nuts and it's not a good feeling, but a feeling worth going through sometimes if you hold those beliefs dear to your heart and want to be honest about it. I have had friends who weren't Christians and I never pressed any issue, but if they asked I would talk about it honestly. And sometimes they didn't want to be my friend anymore b/c they thought I was weird, and sometimes they still did and respected my beliefs even if they didn't want to change.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Alex-

Christianity doesn't need to "recruit" people, that's not why someone might talk to you about it. But if you don't understand why they want to, you are not gong to understand their side of things or whatever. I am sure you have heard things like this before and you already made up your mind how you feel about it which is obvious.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord