w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

US marines in hot water over Christian coins in Iraq

103 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
They have the same right to give out literature as anyone engaged in advertising is my point. It may be irritating but it's not offensive. At least, my definition of offensive is very different.

As for why do they need to? They need to because it's part and parcel of who they are. Being a christian requires you to spread the word of your salvation. How they go about that is up to them I guess. Indeed, were they to simply live out life in the image of their saviour that might indeed negate the need to drop written tracts. However, it's not for me to say what version of advertising to employ.

I understand why they "need" to do it! It's one of the reasons I find Christianity one of the more loathsome religions. Seeing a picture of the prophet is not offensive to me, but it obviously is to millions of Muslims. You don't have to be offended for their actions to be offensive to me and others. It's subjective. You dig?

If someone tries to convert me with some small minded claptrap about Jesus, they feel superior to me. Christians are still humans, and from what I've seen, most of them don't seem to be above human nature.

But don't you feel superior to them? Seems like it.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am not religious and consider myself agnostic, I guess. If someone kindly hands me a pamphlet, I accept it, maybe take a look, and then toss it - no problems. However, if someone tells me that I have no morals and I am a terrible person who will be going to hell because I'm not a believer, then I am hurt. I don't believe in hell, but it would still offend me. Not sure I can explain why though.

Timeline

Just wanted to add...

I don't want to get into another debate right now really about my beliefs or etc, and I think I've been clear with how I feel with all this stuff.

I respect ppl's right not to believe what I do. I won't insult you as a person. We might disagree on lots of things but I don't think anyone is stupid or inferior to me. I have never called anyone stupid for not agreeing with my beliefs. If you feel like I treat you as inferior because you don't believe what I do, it's not intended and I don't think I act superior at all. I don't call people insulting names who aren't Christians.

What bothers me is when Christians or really any ppl who believe in God get called weak minded, stupid, ignorant, etc. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me but I don't understand the need to be insulting towards people who don't believe what you do and then expect people to respect what you are saying about your own beliefs. (want to make it clears this part is just addressed to people who say those insults)

Edited by stina&suj

Filed: Timeline

While I do detest being preached to, my main problem is with the mere annoyance of it all. I would bet that there are fewer than 5 people in the US who have have never heard of Christianity. So telling people about it is kinda stupid. And annoying. Think of it this way... Would you like to walk into a store and have 93 sales associates ask you, in succession, if there is anything you need? As you walk through the store, even more associates come out, follow you around, and ask you the same question. You drive home, but they've followed you there, too, knocking on your door at all hours of the day asking you if you've found what you're looking for. Would you enjoy that much?

Over the course of my life so far, I can guarantee that I have been "solicited" by Jesus salespeople at LEAST 1000 times. No, I am not exaggerating. Even my new boss has tried it on me already. I had a woman sing hymns *at* me while I was eating at a restaurant near Franklin Indiana. Seriously... she stood at the end of my table and sang for like 15 minutes. Why? My friend and I were wearing pentagram necklaces (being Pagan, and all...) She explained in detail how we were going to burn in hell. The management did nothing. We eventually left the money for our meal on the table and left; never to return.

Yes, I have a bit of an "issue" with Christianity - mainly its followers.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline

Larry, I would be annoyed too...if that makes any sense, even though I am a Christian. I know singing a hymn to people wearing pentagrams is not going to do anything but annoy them. IMO that's not the way to be a Christian. There are things in the Christian world I have issue with as well. I am not going to say my way is the only way of course, but I don't agree with everything that goes on in churches. Actually we don't officially go to church right now. We did, but my dad moved who was the pastor and a lot of churches turn me off because they talk so much about money around here. I went to a Christian school that was really strict and needed to lighten up IMO. (I went there by my own choice b/c I had fun friends there, so it ended being fun to complain together about our school,heh). Ya know one of the "all rock music is bad, even Christian rock music" type of places. Still I won't insult people who hold that stringent of opinions, but respectfully disagree with them. I then went to a different Christian school later on which was much more laid back and fun. Again, by my own choice really. I wasn't forced to go to Christian school, and we couldn't really afford it-someone anonymously paid for us during those years. Otherwise I would have gone to public school, which I didn't want to. Anyway...I don't know what my point is really. lol.

I am not religious and consider myself agnostic, I guess. If someone kindly hands me a pamphlet, I accept it, maybe take a look, and then toss it - no problems. However, if someone tells me that I have no morals and I am a terrible person who will be going to hell because I'm not a believer, then I am hurt. I don't believe in hell, but it would still offend me. Not sure I can explain why though.

It's an interesting dilema. It's probably not so much the idea that you might be going to hell, but the thought that someone sees fit to make a value judgement on you as a person based on nothing more than the fact that you don't believe in the same things they do. Of course, there are religious people that base their moral evaluations on a person's sexual experiences as well, equally spurious in my opinion. This is probably one of the more silly ideas that religion has come up with if one looks at it in purely logical terms but it does give some a feeling of moral superiority which it seems some people need to feel in order to validate their own lives.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just wanted to add...

I don't want to get into another debate right now really about my beliefs or etc, and I think I've been clear with how I feel with all this stuff.

I respect ppl's right not to believe what I do. I won't insult you as a person. We might disagree on lots of things but I don't think anyone is stupid or inferior to me. I have never called anyone stupid for not agreeing with my beliefs. If you feel like I treat you as inferior because you don't believe what I do, it's not intended and I don't think I act superior at all. I don't call people insulting names who aren't Christians.

What bothers me is when Christians or really any ppl who believe in God get called weak minded, stupid, ignorant, etc. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me but I don't understand the need to be insulting towards people who don't believe what you do and then expect people to respect what you are saying about your own beliefs. (want to make it clears this part is just addressed to people who say those insults)

That's my main complaint too.

And Platy, FWIW, I'd get annoyed at that too.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Back to the point...

In a normal situation some person travelling in a non-Xtian country passing out coins proselytizing his Xtianity wouldn't be worthy of outrage in that country. If they are, I'd oint out their faith must not be very strong if someone just saying they're wrong is that much of a threat. But in this situation you have a representative of an occupying force doing the proselytizing. So yeah, the Marine was a doofus for passing out Xtian coins and should keep his religion to himself while doing his job. Or even when not.

As for potentially offensive pictures of Jesus:

raptorjesus.jpg

jesus_dinosaur.jpg

raptorjesus1bv9.jpg

/hotlinked

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

I think some of the reason for that can be seen as being the huge discrapancy between the things that a particular religious belief is supposed to stand for and the reality of the way those who profess to have that religious belief lead their lives. It's all very well to justify this with a 'well, it's because we are just human with all the faults and proclivaties that that entails' but sometimes it just gets rather wearing when not only do these people self justify their own inadequacies, but at the same time make some rather damning judgements about people who may in fact lead more 'moral and ethical' lives without god. Makes you think sometimes.

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think some of the reason for that can be seen as being the huge discrapancy between the things that a particular religious belief is supposed to stand for and the reality of the way those who profess to have that religious belief lead their lives. It's all very well to justify this with a 'well, it's because we are just human with all the faults and proclivaties that that entails' but sometimes it just gets rather wearing when not only do these people self justify their own inadequacies, but at the same time make some rather damning judgements about people who may in fact lead more 'moral and ethical' lives without god. Makes you think sometimes.

Agreed, hence the verse about not pointing out the splinter in someone's eye while you have a plank in your own. ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

There's the thing, I do have respect for those who do live humble but awe inspiring lives. No matter what way you slice it, and what rationale people present for doing so, people who spend most of their time trying to ensure that other's have a better life are just awesome.