Greenmind

Lack of english a problem at interview?

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

My fiance has been studying english but there's still a bit of confusion sometimes, especially speaking/listening. I don't speak Turkish but we both have a lot of patience to get through everything without any frustration. I'm worried that her English or lack there of will be a problem at the interview. Do they expect her to know english? We originally expected the process to take a lot longer but it went through in less than 3 months. Any thoughts on if this will create a problem for us? Everything has gone by flawlessly so far.

Do they every ask questions in regards to intimate moments? hehe

Edited by Greenmind

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline
If she's having an interview in her home country, where they speak her language, they will have an interpreter available if she requests one.

Thanks. Will her lack of english be a strike against her in regards to them believing we have a valid relationship? We chat mostly and that's a lot easier than listening/speaking.

Filed: Timeline

Greenmind,

Her English-speaking skills are one part of a complete impression that the interviewer will develop about her. If the impression is good, her poor English will be inconsequential. If the impression is bad, her English may (or may not) be one avenue of 'attack' to determine if the relationship is bona fide.

Yodrak

If she's having an interview in her home country, where they speak her language, they will have an interpreter available if she requests one.

Thanks. Will her lack of english be a strike against her in regards to them believing we have a valid relationship? We chat mostly and that's a lot easier than listening/speaking.

When my fiancee (now wife) had her interview I told her to ask for an interpreter, however, I told her if she needed the question to be put to her in her native tongue to be sure and answer the question in english and to respond directly to the C.O.; not the interpreter.

miss_me_yet.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't know for sure, but in their minds, and in mosts minds, I suppose they see communication as a vital part of a marriage. They'll look to see if you two can communicate, because if you can't, they might question your relationship...

I don't know for sure, but if I worked in immigration that would be my idea.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Yes communication is important. but there are miscommunications even when both people speak the same first language. My husband and I sometimes have to clarify things. He occasionally uses the wrong preposition or other things and my Swedish is practically non existent. I think because of that we actually focus on our communication more than the average couple and it makes us stronger.

I-130

2005-09-23 Sent I-130.

2005-10-05 I-130 NOA1

2006-02-19 *touched*

2006-02-21 RFE

2006-03-09 RFE received by CSC

2006-03-29 I-130 NOA2

2006-03-31 *touched*

2006-04-01 *touched*

2006-04-12 NVC assigned case number

I-129F

2005-11-18 I-129F Sent

2005-11-29 I-129F NOA1

2005-12-27 I-129F RFE :(

2006-01-13 I-129F RFE Reply sent.

2006-01-25 *touched*

2006-01-26 I-129F RFE received

2006-04-04 *touched*

2006-04-04 NOA2 **approved!!!**

2006-04-20 NVC assigned case number

2006-04-21 case forwarded to embassy

2006-04-26 packet 3 received

2006-05-02 packet 3 sent

2006-05-04 packet 4 received

2006-05-15 Interview in Stockholm **APPROVED**

2006-05-23 My sweetie is coming home!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't think her knowledge of English matters at all. My fiancee had her interview in Bogota (Colombia) and she told them she wanted to do it in Spanish and she got her visa without a problem! Her AOS (now she is my wife) is in 2 weeks and we will take an interpreter with us - she is still learning English and is trying to get over her fear of saying the wrong thing or not undrerstanding the other person. So! Unless the US embassy in Turkey is stuck on the K1s knowledge of English - she should not have any problems because of that. Good Luck

I don't think her knowledge of English matters at all. My fiancee had her interview in Bogota (Colombia) and she told them she wanted to do it in Spanish and she got her visa without a problem! Her AOS (now she is my wife) is in 2 weeks and we will take an interpreter with us - she is still learning English and is trying to get over her fear of saying the wrong thing or not undrerstanding the other person. So! Unless the US embassy in Turkey is stuck on the K1s knowledge of English - she should not have any problems because of that. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In some cases it can be a devastating obstacle in the interview...there is a particular interviewer in Moscow who flat out tells the girls that if they don't conduct the interview in English, he won't approve them. So, there is no way that anyone can definitively tell you that there will be no problem. That said, MOST interviewers treat the beneficiaries fairly in that regard, and as long as the interviewer can be convinced that the two of you successfully communicate (in whatever language), then it in theory should not be an issue. However, if she speaks very poor English, and you don't speak her language...I'd say that was probably going to be a red flag that will require further explanation to satisfy the interviewer that the relationship is indeed bona fide.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Filed: Timeline
I don't know for sure, but in their minds, and in mosts minds, I suppose they see communication as a vital part of a marriage. They'll look to see if you two can communicate, because if you can't, they might question your relationship...

I don't know for sure, but if I worked in immigration that would be my idea.

I was thinking the very same thing...

But I have this neighbor who has been married for like 50 years...seriously, no kidding...he doesn't speak spanish, and she speaks no english. Hah, maybe that's the secret to a long marriage :lol::lol::lol:

my wife is learning english, and could not communicate in english at her interview. They conducted in in her native language. I think alot has to do with the individual consulates and the person actually doing the interview. I believe that in most cases it is not a problem, but you may run into a hard headed CO.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

mr4422, how do you and your wife communicate? Do you speak fluent thai? That's gotta be tough for you guys if you don't speak thai and she doesn't speak english. How do you do it?

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

mr4422, how do you and your wife communicate? Do you speak fluent thai? That's gotta be tough for you guys if you don't speak thai and she doesn't speak english. How do you do it?

We do pretty well most of the time, if i need to make sure she understands something I have her talk to my brother's wife's mom (who is thai/chinese). We also use an english-thai dictionary and electronic translator. Plus, she quit work in november and went to english school for 6 weeks in thailand. She is learning quickly though, and she understands english more than can she speak it. I don't know very much thai myself.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is NOT a derrogatory statement at all - this is a GENUINE question....because I am very curious.

HOW do you fall in love with someone when you can't really even communicate?

I dated a guy who did NOT speak English - hardly at all....I had to call it off because I couldn't learn about him, he couldn't learn about me...we couldn't communicate! There was no WAY I could fall in love with someone if I can't even TALK to them...

so this is a serious question...

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
This is NOT a derrogatory statement at all - this is a GENUINE question....because I am very curious.

HOW do you fall in love with someone when you can't really even communicate?

Hey Karo:

Language is just one means of communications. That said - how many Americans (or English speaking people) have you met and can not communicate with? I had several friends (including girlfreinds) that could not communicate well enough and that was the end of that - language was not the barrier - their way of thinking and acting was the barrier to our relationship going further.

Currently my wife is learning English and we talk mostly in English - I intend to learn Spanish through a language school (I know a little bit now) but this has not been a hinderance to our relationship. And yes sometimes its a blessing to not know too much - who wants to discuss the sorry state of politics in this country and religious fanaticism in this country (and the world) - better off discussing our trip to California and Vegas! :lol: Best wishes to you

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.